JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Correct Spelling - How do you feel about it?

Was perusing another thread earlier, and the subject of incorrect spelling came up. 

This has been a point of frustration for me in the past, but only in certain situations let me explain and then I'd love to hear how you all feel about being correct in how we spell.

We, in Wanganui NZ, as with most communities get free papers ... even in the papers we buy I've noticed an upsurge in spelling errors ... to me it's laziness especially knowing they employ people to proof read.  As soon as as I receive anything from a business or a professional person and it contains spelling errors I can't take the person or the article seriously.

I think I feel like that because of two reasons no, let's make it three - One: Predominantly being brought up in the Truth - we are subject to an incredible array of information that is presented at a very high level. Two: I was trained as a transcriptionist ... if legally speaking you have more than three errors in a legal document here, it can be thrown out of court, so the result is me being quite pedantic and three: One of the most horrendous practices on the internet are those who scam vulnerable people, and those emails contain a copious amount of spelling errors.

But now, let's turn to more informal settings - like this forum -  should it matter as much as it does in a professional enviornment (I include the WT and Awake in that as they are beyond professional). 

I say it shouldn't - even if it irks you like it does me ... we should be more relaxed about mistakes (that we all make) in a forum such as this. These are the reasons below:

1. Often when someone is excited or passionate about the subject, they can type quite fast, so many of the errors aren't in fact spelling errors due to a person not being able to spell, but typos and since there is no dire need to proof read in an informal setting - things like this should go by the board.

2. It could come across to new posters that you have to be proficient in English to post ... which isn't of course the case ... what drove that home to me was my son - who has developmental dyspraxia and there are many other conditions related to that - why should he not be able to express himself on a forum just because he doesn't have the academic skills others have. I've noticed many on here with similar conditions who post very well.

3. Language and ethnic barriers ... these can also contribute to inadequate sentences not being put together properly and spelling errors of common words. These should also be welcomed to the forum because we are interested not in how educated or how perfect someone's post is but more in their hearts - the secret person of the heart. Too, i've been pulled up for spelling things the UK English way instead of US English ... not on this forum but somewhere else. 

4. Text language, esp in our younger generation this is becoming more and more the 'norm' for communication and it can flow over into forums such as this. While I'm very anti text language mayself - in informal settings we have to respect the right of others to use it - however if they use it exceedingly they run the risk of not being understood by others.

Anyway this is just something I find extremely interesting - I'm in love with words ... I love how we can convey our secret thoughts and feelings by choosing the correct words ... but they can also hurt if we become too pedantic in a setting like this forum which is about encouraging and getting to know each other in our worldwide brotherhood.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I think that correct spelling is important. A mistake or do won't do much harm, but sometimes a spelling error will obscure the meaning, and a text full of spelling errors creates confusion and is painful to read. I try to write correctly although I know I make many mistakes in English anyway. A lot of words I have to look up in the dictionary because I'm not sure of their spelling. :innocent:  In Spanish, though, mistakes jump at me all the time. My wife laughs because I'm always pointing to mistakes everywhere.

I too tend to doubt the professionalism of someone who makes spelling errors in a document that is intended for the public. However, lately I'm finding spelling mistakes all the time in newspapers, in books and magazines and on tv, precisely those who should write better because they are a model for the general public. I guess it's a mix of laziness, people reading less than ever and companies saving the money to have a professional proofreader.

That being said, correcting someone's spelling in forums such as ours is rarely welcome and most times it ends in hurt feelings for both sides. Few brothers appreciate being corrected, and less publicly. So in this kind of informal context I think the right approach is to just let it be.

The way you spell shows how much you respect your readers. So looking over your posts once or twice is a good idea, Even so, errors will creep in, and that’s alright. We all try our best, don’t we? And that’s enough. A forum such as this is rather informal when it comes to expression. Challenge yourself to do your best, and you’ll be fine. Don’t bother too much about how other people write. It’s not your business. Ask if it’s unclear. Assume the best. Never has Jehovah said, “You can’t spell, so no paradise for you.”

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Was perusing another thread earlier, and the subject of incorrect spelling came up. 

This has been a point of frustration for me in the past, but only in certain situations let me explain and then I'd love to hear how you all feel about being correct in how we spell.

We, in Wanganui NZ, as with most communities get free papers ... even in the papers we buy I've noticed an upsurge in spelling errors ... to me it's laziness especially knowing they employ people to proof read.  As soon as as I receive anything from a business or a professional person and it contains spelling errors I can't take the person or the article seriously.

I think I feel like that because of two reasons no, let's make it three - One: Predominantly being brought up in the Truth - we are subject to an incredible array of information that is presented at a very high level. Two: I was trained as a transcriptionist ... if legally speaking you have more than three errors in a legal document here, it can be thrown out of court, so the result is me being quite pedantic and three: One of the most horrendous practices on the internet are those who scam vulnerable people, and those emails contain a copious amount of spelling errors.

But now, let's turn to more informal settings - like this forum -  should it matter as much as it does in a professional enviornment (I include the WT and Awake in that as they are beyond professional). 

I say it shouldn't - even if it irks you like it does me ... we should be more relaxed about mistakes (that we all make) in a forum such as this. These are the reasons below:

1. Often when someone is excited or passionate about the subject, they can type quite fast, so many of the errors aren't in fact spelling errors due to a person not being able to spell, but typos and since there is no dire need to proof read in an informal setting - things like this should go by the board.

2. It could come across to new posters that you have to be proficient in English to post ... which isn't of course the case ... what drove that home to me was my son - who has developmental dyspraxia and there are many other conditions related to that - why should he not be able to express himself on a forum just because he doesn't have the academic skills others have. I've noticed many on here with similar conditions who post very well.

3. Language and ethnic barriers ... these can also contribute to inadequate sentences not being put together properly and spelling errors of common words. These should also be welcomed to the forum because we are interested not in how educated or how perfect someone's post is but more in their hearts - the secret person of the heart. Too, i've been pulled up for spelling things the UK English way instead of US English ... not on this forum but somewhere else. 

4. Text language, esp in our younger generation this is becoming more and more the 'norm' for communication and it can flow over into forums such as this. While I'm very anti text language mayself - in informal settings we have to respect the right of others to use it - however if they use it exceedingly they run the risk of not being understood by others.

Anyway this is just something I find extremely interesting - I'm in love with words ... I love how we can convey our secret thoughts and feelings by choosing the correct words ... but they can also hurt if we become too pedantic in a setting like this forum which is about encouraging and getting to know each other in our worldwide brotherhood.

You forgot number 5. Can't spell....I can not help it, only correct the error when WORD or Gammerialy points it out. 

Ooops! this editor just wiped out most of my comment. I give up, not worth reposting. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

well i've never picked up on your spelling or lack of. I enjoy your posts and the discussions we have. And I disagree whatever was wiped IS worth reposting. 
Would it be improper to ask when anyone picked up a spelling mistake in one of our publications? I remember being shown one in 1982. They certainty are a rarity. (I must admit that I read what I think should be there, whereas my wife and one son have the capacity to spot an error immediately)

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

Hey there Brother Tony from OZ - do you know Greg from this forum? Yes a mistake is certainly a rareity with the society not unheard of but few and far between.

(Being in NZ though as it is in Aus their spelling is never right cause they continually that US English hahaha).

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I think if we can't spell theocratic terms, it may be a kindness to correct it, especially if it is the title of a new thread.  We aren't spelling nazis, but there is a point where if a theocratic term is not spelt correctly, it doesn't reflect very well on who we represent.  I don't advocate being picky about the majority of spelling errors that occur here - we don't want  the flow of the discussion or our enthusiasm to comment to be stymied.  We don't want to strain gnats.  We don't want to upset fellow brothers and sisters.  Perhaps, use PM if you must correct, but otherwise go with the flow and overlook it.

Yes I agree with titles actually for two reasons ... one as you mentioned and two when you do a search its going to come up more readily. I also agree with pm's privately to put the matter straight. Good call Lucy xxx