JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you guys mind If I post pics of things I make?

Thanks. This isn't a well you could do it yourself but I make these in my business. I am full time woodworker and this is helping me to get my name into the community. Its been lots of fun. The radio station is giving me 2 weeks of radio adds plus ads on their Facebook twitter and instagram. Plus staff are talking it up on air so its been a good advertising for me. I am going expand into patio furniture and tables.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

When you put the screws in to hold the lids you may want to consider using Stainless and it may be best to use fender washers with the screws inside the lids so they hold the best without pulling through.

I would think it may be best to use 5 fasteners. One near each corner and one in the center for full support.

You could counter-sink the nuts on the ourside of the wood and they would be practically invisible. Or, you could put the screw heads on the outside and use acorn nuts inside.

Perhaps still use some type of adhesive and/or caulck to help seat the lid so it cusions the lid as it is opened and closed over time.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I tried a special adhesive to keep the plastic lid in the wood lid. It failed miserably. Good thing it was on my sisters cooler.

Not sure how you mean with the nuts and bolts. I use brass because it won't rust away like steel screws and the brass looks nice. I countersink the screws into the sides of the wood lid and put them right through the plastic cooler lid. I don't see how they could come out. I use 2 on each end and 2 front and back. 

Do you have a picture of what you mean?  The wood I am using for the wood lids are only about 3/8ths of an inch. Maybe a little thicker but not much.  I suppose I could predrill the positions then take the plastic lid out and redrill for plastic insert wall anchors. That should help keep the screws nice and tight.

If you can post a pic I would appreciate it. Always nice to learn something new.

I gather from your description you are putting the screws in the "edge" of the lid from the sides - actually, that sounds like a good idea. Even though brass won't rust, is it possible it will "green" with corrosion in the wet environment? Stainless steel will not rust or corrode.

I was thinking of "bolts" (possibly carriage bolts) or machine screws comming though from the top through the lid. Don't have any pictures. The way I was saying, the heads would show from the top when the lid is closed and the nuts would ve visible in the underside of the lid when it is open. They way you describe sounds like they are hidden. I like the idea of them not being seen.

I would probably be inlcined to use ones long enough that they extend far enough into the lid that the screws are carying the weight of the lid, not just holding the edge. I would also probably use some sort of glue where the screws pass through the wood to they are not dependant on the plastic lid to keep them tight.

Yes sorry sometimes what I am thinking doesn't come out my fingers and through the keyboard. I install them thought the edges yes. I use a 1 1/4 screw so they will extend into the plastic at least 7/8ths inch. No way it will fall out. You could use deck screws too. They will hide in the grain of the wood. Sometimes I use pan head brass depends on what I have on hand. They look nice

How do you take your skids apart? I use a saws all with a metal blade. Cut the nails between the runners and the boards. I bought an air tool that you put over any nails that are sticking out and it pops the nil head out that are left in the boards. Works really good. i had my Brother in Law over and I cut the boards off and he popped the nail head out. Did about 20 skids in an hour or so. Was really quick.

We use a variety of methods depending on the type/size of the pallet/skid and what we need the wood for.

Sometimes we just cut the boards at the runners and discard the runners - depends on if the runners are usable

Other times we remove the nails by a variety of methods from both, the slats and the runners.

Ya cutting the nails makes the runners useless. I tried making a pallet buster bar but I need the pallets to age a while and they get too brittle for that. The Saws all saves a lot more material and a lot less breakage.

This is thhe tool I bought to take the nails out. It actually shoved a nail right through a pine 3 X 3 that was used for a skid runner and sent it flying. Was a huge help. 

https://www.ebay.ca/i/263020122612?chn=ps&dispItem=1

3 hours ago, Greg Dent said:

It does. We cleaned up about 15 pallets yesterday afternoon in about an hour and a half after I figured out to use the sawzall.

So cool Greg. 15 pallets?? Good night!

I love building things even though I'm terrible at measuring, afraid-smiley.png.037aa50dad28e685113af61b4eca1c4c.png somebody else does that for me!

I have several barn boards in the green house. They're 12 inches wide and are 3 feet to 12 feet long. I'm having my garden gates built from it as well as trimming out the pergola. (oohh la la, sounds so fancy but actually I'm big into recycling so it's more of an economy thing) Will have post a pic of them.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

How COOL is that!?!  Love the design, love the wood, love the look, and, love the practicality.  

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

25 minutes ago, Greg Dent said:

LOL Your the first one that mentioned that LOL. It smells good too.

I'm definitely going to steal that the next time I do a wood project. Actually I have a bucket of man glitter in the shed that I was using to amend potting soil...maybe I'll put some on today..:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

This is my next project. I started it yesterday. Its patio coolers for a local brewery. They want a total of 3 and will raffle them off. This is the start I hope to get 2 of the 3 they want built up tomorrow. 

Why are my pictures being posted sideways? They are not on my computer. Can someone help me with this?

20180717_154939.jpg

20180716_145235.jpg

I am transfering the logo from a print out and then using a wood burning kit to burn it into the front panel. Its pretty tedious lol.