JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"The Right to Dissent" - a podcast episode that discusses Jehovah's Witnesses' and the pledge of alliance

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2006 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The Podcast is called What Trump Can Teach Us About CON Law. Here is the episode: "Right to Dissent"

The host is Roman Mars of 99Percent Invisible fame. It's very positive, or, I should say it's very neutral. It says nothing negative about us and talks about the facts very professionally. 

Michael, thanks for that.  It's very interesting to hear this history in such a professional way, explained very clearly.  Around half-way, then it goes off to the "take a knee" and Trump.  But it is refreshing that the legal victories for those faithful witnesses back in the 30's and 40's are validated here. 

I would like to call attention to the fact that they discussed how unusual it was for the Supreme Court to reverse a decision that quick.

A lot of American law is based on precedent. For a Court as High as the Supreme Court to decide against the JW's 7 to 1, and within three years declare that they were flat out wrong, is no small miracle. This is a group of men who are not allowed to make mistakes. The Podcasts describes what a tectonic shift is required to make a reversal like that happen.

In the case of Gay Marriage, it took thirty years. In the case of Civil Rights, it took a century to go from Ending Slavery to Ending Segregation. In the case of JW's being forced to show patriotism, it took less than five. 

The podcast attributes this to the sudden spike in persecution of a religious minority, as though the Supreme Court had 'given permission' to deal abuse. I think those of us here can attribute it somewhere else. 😏

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

I’m not sure I understand reference to Eccle. 10:20.. could someone break that down for me?

Sr, Whitley, the reference is cited here"

Ecclesiastes 10:20..."Even in your thoughts, do not curse the king, and do not curse the rich in your bedroom; for a bird may convey the sound, or a creature with wings may repeat what was said."

This scripture refers to God's command that we not speak poorly or call down evil on the leadership of the nation. When the Apostle Paul called the person who ordered him slapped "a white-washed wall" it was pointed out to him that the person was the high priest.  Paul alluded to this scripture by saying we should not speak against a Prince of the people.  So in the case of political rulers today, we should not speak against nor harbor ill will against any of these authorities,   "even in your thoughts" or even at night privately in "your bedroom" because we were told to pray for them and seek a quiet life waiting on Jesus to taka care of their meddling and opposition.

On 10/21/2018 at 5:24 PM, jwhess said:

Sr, Whitley, the reference is cited here"

Ecclesiastes 10:20..."Even in your thoughts, do not curse the king, and do not curse the rich in your bedroom; for a bird may convey the sound, or a creature with wings may repeat what was said."

This scripture refers to God's command that we not speak poorly or call down evil on the leadership of the nation. When the Apostle Paul called the person who ordered him slapped "a white-washed wall" it was pointed out to him that the person was the high priest.  Paul alluded to this scripture by saying we should not speak against a Prince of the people.  So in the case of political rulers today, we should not speak against nor harbor ill will against any of these authorities,   "even in your thoughts" or even at night privately in "your bedroom" because we were told to pray for them and seek a quiet life waiting on Jesus to taka care of their meddling and opposition.

Wow... I’m so glad I asked - I had NO idea what that meant! I read the scripture on my own and thought “they must be mistaken” thank you so much! I have to say with what’s been going on in news it’s hard not to scoff at the current leadership.. I really need to meditate and pray about this 🙈 everyone at work is constantly talking about it and it’s hard to not hear what they say and think about it.. I will work on this! 

8 hours ago, Whitley M said:

Wow... I’m so glad I asked - I had NO idea what that meant! I read the scripture on my own and thought “they must be mistaken” thank you so much! I have to say with what’s been going on in news it’s hard not to scoff at the current leadership.. I really need to meditate and pray about this 🙈 everyone at work is constantly talking about it and it’s hard to not hear what they say and think about it.. I will work on this! 

Sr. Whitley, it is not just school kids with the flag salute that test our neutrality.  It is a test for all of us (including those faithful school-age children).

Edited by jwhess