JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2018 Service Year Report

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1895 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On December 25, 2018 at 2:56 PM, KingDavid said:

So it is with a collection of different personalities. Everyone has different preferences and interests. There is no THE Jehovah's Witness. The preaching ministry is important, but we were created so that the deep truths of God make us happy. We should learn to love different perspectives rather than unify them all. If we only talk about the most important things, is the complexity of life not lost to us?

I couldn't have said it better. I am not a part taker but I love statistics. Im curious about this data and I like to know what is going on with the organization. I don't see why anyone should feel the need to be rude only because they don't see an interest in a specific number. I'm sure there are part takers who are interested in that graph.  We can't just say "why does this matter?" That's closed minded thinking and also shows a level of greed because this data wasn't produced for a single group of witnesses like publishers, or elders, or pioneers, annointed etc. we are all serving in different assignments but that doesn't mean one matters most that another or ones data is most valuable then another's. And believe me NOTHING is set in stone. Just as there is fake annointed, there is also dishonest pioneers, dishonest  publishers, etc. we just have to trust that Jehovah and Christ will sort that all out in his timetable. This just gives us a level of rejoicing!!

I couldn't have said it better. I am not a part taker but I love statistics. Im curious about this data and I like to know what is going on with the organization. I don't see why anyone should feel the need to be rude only because they don't see an interest in a specific number. I'm sure there are part takers who are interested in that graph.  We can't just say "why does this matter?" That's closed minded thinking and also shows a level of greed because this data wasn't produced for a single group of witnesses like publishers, or elders, or pioneers, annointed etc. we are all serving in different assignments but that doesn't mean one matters most that another or ones data is most valuable then another's. And believe me NOTHING is set in stone. Just as there is fake annointed, there is also dishonest pioneers, dishonest  publishers, etc. we just have to trust that Jehovah and Christ will sort that all out in his timetable. This just gives us a level of rejoicing!!
We must also consider the following:

"And I saw thrones, and those who sat on them were given authority to judge"
(Revelation 20:4)

Who better to judge millions of people now alive than someone who experienced the present time before Armageddon himself? There are so many circumstances that someone who lived 100 years ago can hardly feel when we think, for example, of problems that the new technology and the media bring with them.

Hebrews 2:17-18:
"Consequently, he had to become like his “brothers” in all respects, so that he could become a merciful and faithful high priest in things relating to God, in order to offer a propitiatory sacrifice for the sins of the people. Since he himself has suffered when being put to the test, he is able to come to the aid of those who are being put to the test."

Would it not be reasonable to assume that it would take a larger number of judges to judge such a large crowd?

Gesendet von meinem TA-1012 mit Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

.  We can't just say "why does this matter?" That's closed minded thinking and also shows a level of greed because this data wasn't produced for a single group of witnesses like publishers, or elders, or pioneers, annointed etc. we are all serving in different assignments but that doesn't mean one matters most that another or ones data is most valuable then another's. 

Sr. Glady's I can appreciate your interest in the statistics but calling another brother 'close-minded" is a bit strong.  They may just be pointing out that the "undue" fixation on the actual number of anointed ones is not in everyone's best interest.  You say you are not anointed and neither am I.  So those who are (whether 1000 or 10,000 in number) will not affect yoour salvation unless you let it become an issue.  Those listed in the chart will receive their reward and we will receive ours.  There was a time in the not so distant past when we looked every year at the decreasing numbers as a "sign" of the nearness of the end.  It was not so, just wishful thinking.  Now that the number is increasing, the FDS has not said it is a "sign" of the nearness of the end either.

So the brothers who said it does not matter the number are simply trying to get us to focus on the work at hand.  Would you work more in God's service it the number went up?  or down?.  Of course not.  We are responsible for our own salvation.  those listed on the chart are responsible for their salvation.  So the number does not (or should not) matter to your everlasting life.  Nor should it influence you in your service or alertness for the end.  I believe it is in this area that some have said, "Let's not get overly concerned about the numbers, it does not change the outcome of the coming Great Tribulation nor the nearness of God's Great Final War.

It is always good to credit our brothers with the best of intentions and avoid calling them "rude" "close-minded" or "greedy", especially if you have never met them.  It is just a thought,

On 12/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Sepie93 said:

what encouraged you in this report?

The reduction of available data in the Service report since 2017 has greatly reduced the conclusions that can be drawn, particularly in the case of individual countries. Clear reasons for why the report has been reduced in this manner have not been given, however, the proliferation of progandist use of our statistics by opposers all over the internet and other media shows how statistical information can be misused.

There is a scriptural precedent for statistical control due to misuse seen in the calamitous result of the unathorised registration attempt made by David as recorded in 1Sam 24, 1Chr 21. There have been some cauutions advised in how figures are viewed in earlier comments here.

However, I do not know of any official reasons why our yearly report has been so reduced in published detail. Nevertheless. there are still areas of interest and encouragement available from the report as we have it.

Aspects I find of value additional to those already  mentioned include:

• The Memorial attendance. This is an indicator of how much potential there is. As the figure includes interested ones and probably many inactive, it just shouts "more workers needed for the harvest!" And that work includes shepherding.
  • The Regular pioneer figures. Shows how many are appreciating the opportunity and able to respond to the call for more workers.
  • The individual country reports. Encouraging to consider theocratic prosperity against the social backdrop of the areas concerned.

Edited by Eoin

• 3 weeks later...

A few days late to this topic, so please excuse that. I was just looking over the statistics myself and then came to this thread.

I just wanted to throw in an anecdotal thought to consider when we look at statistics.

In hot weather, ice cream sales increase.

In hot weather, murder rates increase.

BUT... Ice cream sales do not influence murder rates.

I think reading too much into these statistics is unwise, they are what they are and good for us to keep track. But we can't draw conclusions like; "More bible studies = more time till the end." or anything else really.

The most important statistic for each of us to really worry about is to make sure we are another number in the flock.