JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Remember when....

I remember when publications and nwt bible were first available on portable devices.

They were not allowed on the stage, and, if you were called on to read a scripture, you couldn't read it from your electronic device.

I don't know if that is just how it was in our congregation or not. It appears I have my own thread going here! So, I guess I'll have to remember to ask the friends in person, whether it was the same in their congregations.

Yes, I remember those times! :)

I don't remember that you could not read a scripture from your device if you were in the audience. Maybe that was a local thing. But definitely there was printed advice, until quite recently, that if you were giving a talk it was better to read from a paper Bible than from a device. I think it was good advice in case a visitor is present. Reading from a printed Bible seems to lend more authority to your words than reading from who knows where on your phone. But I also understand our current position which makes things a lot cheaper and more practical.

Most of the time I use my printed Bible when I have a talk. I don't trust the tablet screen will not go black when I need it the most. But sometimes I use my tablet anyway. :)

34 minutes ago, carlos said:

I don't remember that you could not read a scripture from your device if you were in the audience. Maybe that was a local thing. But definitely there was printed advice, until quite recently, that if you were giving a talk it was better to read from a paper Bible than from a device...

Most of the time I use my printed Bible when I have a talk. I don't trust the tablet screen will not go black when I need it the most. But sometimes I use my tablet anyway. :)

There must have been a bit of a disagreement among the GB as to the appropriateness of reading the Bible from electronic devices from the platform or not because there were a lot of poking fun at among them from the introductions to talks. Don't remember exactly but it was either an Annual Meeting or Gilead Graduation. Most of the poking fun was concerning finding the scriptures speedily. I am a bit of a stick in the mud myself regarding paper Bible and my first Bible reading using tablet will be end of Jan. 2019. Only five years behind everyone else, what's the big deal.  My only hesitation has been loosing my place. Having a bit of a temper I might be like Moses and break my tablet.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

There must have been a bit of a disagreement among the GB as to the appropriateness of reading the Bible from electronic devices from the platform or not because there were a lot of poking fun at among them from the introductions to talks. Don't remember exactly but it was either an Annual Meeting or Gilead Graduation. Most of the poking fun was concerning finding the scriptures speedily. I am a bit of a stick in the mud myself regarding paper Bible and my first Bible reading using tablet will be end of Jan. 2019. Only five years behind everyone else, what's the big deal.  My only hesitation has been loosing my place. Having a bit of a temper I might be like Moses and break my tablet.

Once it was allowed they were all in agreement. There was a letter to the congregations saying that it was alright to use the device on the platform. Little did we know then that the GB had plans to adjust the way literature is distributed completely.

An elderly brother (90-ish) was debating with himself whether to use his electronic device a couple of weeks ago for the Bible reading at the midweek meeting. His dear grandchild suggested he’d use his device, since he can resize the text any way he wants to. The reading went just fine. This brother, by the way, is really happy to have his device. He says he is a little forgetful three days, but with this device he never forgets his literature.

I remember underlining in the literature. I also made notes in margins, and little drawings, because that’s how my mind works. And, eventually, the study articles were, well, quite well annotated...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”