JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Your Favorite Music Genres

For myself my personal favorite all time genres are; Funk, Disco, New Jack Swing, Swing, Old School Jazz, House, Electro, Ambient, Classical and Historical.

I tend to mostly like very upbeat music that physically moves me, highly rhymthic, yet complex in nature.

So, what styles of music are you all in to the most and why?

Edited by EccentricM

This would be difficult for me to answer. I played violin as a child, and learned to love the orchestra. Later, I was consumed by the grunge era of the early 90s. I also love musicals. Usually the more artsy and weird the better, or the more orchestrated. I'm a bit picky and obsessive with what I listen to.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

This would be difficult for me to answer. I played violin as a child, and learned to love the orchestra. Later, I was consumed by the grunge era of the early 90s. I also love musicals. Usually the more artsy and weird the better, or the more orchestrated. I'm a bit picky and obsessive with what I listen to.

Sounds like me. I remember the first time I saw Les Miserables on the grand stage. For my own money. The kid me was absolutely in heaven when I heard the first bars of the opening ”Look Down!”. Since then I have seen many more stage musicals, been to several concerts, but that occasion was special.

I have no particular favourite genre, but the music has to reveal some kind of musical intelligence. And it has to be perfect down to the last bar. Anything else just annoys me.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Oh I can be too.

I guess, though, that I am leaning more towards jazz and blues these days. But I have more and more discovered early music. I did go to an Early Music Festival last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I have always felt connected to the metal genre. I got into metal in the 80’s. Starting with my parents old vinyl NWOBHM albums. It has a very calming effect on me. And can tune out the negativity of the world. 

Also, a cool music site for y’all. 

https://musicmap.info/

For myself my personal favorite all time genres are; Funk, Disco, New Jack Swing, Swing, Old School Jazz, House, Electro, Ambient, Classical and Historical.

I tend to mostly like very upbeat music that physically moves me, highly rhymthic, yet complex in nature.

So, what styles of music are you all in to the most and why?

What type of historical music do you like?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

17 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

What type of historical music do you like?

Medieval, renaissance, folk, cultural (historical music from other lands)...

I like a lot of lute music for example

I have an entire playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_6BZbn5uPSWMz58AMm_yfnjMJMzMZ5vP

Some of the pictures in the videos have ancient art and some religious references, but none of them have anything to do with the music itself. I made sure when listening to historical music to look up and translate any ancient lyrics they contained.

Edited by EccentricM

4 hours ago, Brother Arellano said:

I have always felt connected to the metal genre.... It has a very calming effect on me. And can tune out the negativity of the world. 

A lot of people will be confused with your statement here, lol.

I suppose it would be the type of metal. These days, genres are broken down into countless sub-genres that it gets annoying.

I was driving around with my father (73 year old elder) a few weeks ago playing Metallica in the car, singing along to it, and drawing attention to the bass lines, the guitar lines, and the orchestration of the songs, and telling him what these select songs were about. After a while he says "I never listened to any Metallica but their actually pretty good".

It was a proud son moment :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I do like Metallica. I know they are a pretty popular among the Brothers I know. But to be specific I like thrash metal. And I will concede that a lot of metal has inappropriate themes, language, album covers. I think that is where a lot of people might get confused. Like any other form of entertainment, this is where a well trained conscience and discernment come in.

22 minutes ago, Brother Arellano said:

this is where a well trained conscience and discernment come in

True that. Today, you don't even need to look at the album cover, and you can delete, hide, or simply don't buy the tracks that may be offensive to you. Technology is great.

And then there's the wisdom not to play something that might be offensive to those in the car with you, lol 😉

9 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

And then there's the wisdom not to play something that might be offensive to those in the car with you, lol 😉

While this is indeed very wise. We do not want to offend or cause divisions within the congregation. A better reason might be love. We do not want to present something that would cause an internal conflict between them and their conscience.

• 2 weeks later...

I like lots of music genres….guess it´s easier to name those I don´t like :D I don´t like Heavy Metal/Death Metal in general - but, to be honest, there are single songs I like. Also I´m not a big fan of country music - but the same thing here: There are particular songs I like, although they belong to this genre.

I prefer rock, pop, disco, electro, funk, … but I also like classic. 

The point with classic music in my case is, that I just have to be in the mood for it. On the other hand, I can always listen to the others mentioned above.

Chrissy :wave:

1 hour ago, coony77 said:

but, to be honest, there are single songs I like

Every artist has at least 1 good song. For many, that's the only one, lol.

I have a wide musical interest. But for pop/rock I probably end at the 80s. I really love classical music, and fave is string quartets. I love chamber music and full orchestral pieces. Not so keen on choral works, and definitely no religious music.

From the 60s onwards the great rock bands and prog especially.

The Stones, The Who, the Kinks, Pink Floyd, Queen, Genesis, Man, Gentle Giant, Greenslade, so so many.

• 3 years later...

I am eclectic with music, but have leanings towards blues and rock side of things. But it depends on my mood at the time and what I am doing as well.

As some here have a leaning to some metal bands, some songs artists I don't mind, but if I cannot hear the lyrics clearly, it just puts me off. Also, Black Sabbath's Paranoid album puts me to sleep, thanks to my old man used to play the bass lines of their songs practising with his band when I was a very young child. It was over 20 years later I arrived at work and the electrician who was servicing the equipment in the shop overnight had it cranking in the stores audio system. As I walked in the back of the shop and asked him if he was playing Black Sabbath. He said "Yeah". I replied "Can you turn it off, otherwise I would fall asleep". He thought I was having a go at his choice of music, but when I explained to him of why, he couldn't believe it that I could sleep through it.

Edited by Pabo

• 2 months later...