JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Photos of Our Gardens

• 3 weeks later...

So as I previously mentioned iv been pretty much outta work since Oct since my last steady gardening job came to an end...I knew Jehovah would provide something as his hand was so obvious in my getting my last job.Sure enough a sister texted and said there was a neighbour looking for a gardener,turns out it's a old r.v of my wife...anyways I got the job,2 days a week,enough to keep our heads above water.

Plus side it's a beautiful garden owned by a very interesting characte,a recently retired famous wood carver.

20200305_093520.jpg

20200305_134512.jpg

20200305_100353.jpg

20200305_134451.jpg

20200305_093408.jpg

20200305_134445.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 2:17 AM, bagwell1987 said:

What's a lazy bed, why is it designed to be so full in the middle? Do you water along the edges of it, like a trench?

Sorry Cheryl I only just saw your post. 

It's a very Irish way of gardening,  it's a way of turning grass into raised beds. 

I'll see if I can find some links for you

2nd bed in 

20200323_135021.jpg

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Yeah I kinda do a version of the lazy bed,take the top sod of turf and turn it over,I usually do that the width of my garden,do the same on the opposite side,throw on some manure and then your potatoes or vice versa,then as the potatoes grow I earth them up from the soil from the furrows,theres not as wide as traditional ones...but then I dont grow that many potatoes 😜

3 hours ago, Dane Rí Rua said:

Yeah I kinda do a version of the lazy bed,take the top sod of turf and turn it over,I usually do that the width of my garden,do the same on the opposite side,throw on some manure and then your potatoes or vice versa,then as the potatoes grow I earth them up from the soil from the furrows,theres not as wide as traditional ones...but then I dont grow that many potatoes 😜

I've actually thought about doing that as well for other veg,  does it work well?

My polytunnel (hoop tunnel) is arriving tomorrow, I've not had one for a good few years and I was shocked at the price of them! 

I would have loved one of the First Tunnels, but that's way beyond my budget, so I've settled for one of the cheap ones... im hoping to secure it down very well by driving pencil posts on the inside of the tunnel into the earth and then strapping the hoops to that... it's a straight sided tunnel. 

Anything that prolongs the growing season here in Ireland is a plus...a brother who lives next door has just bought a huge commercial polytunnel from England,delivered for 1700 euro,I havnt a clue how hes gonna put it up by himself tough.😆

I use the same method for brassicas as well,works well 👍

I have a nice growing season on the coast of Washington state. Thankfully. But I do have a greenhouse I may plant in again this year, tomatoes and cucumbers probably.

My garden right now is horribly weedy. Still too wet to kneel in the mud.

Found a supply of dark soil, like from burnt wood. Like charcoal. A sister grew in it last year and had a bumper drop of all her veg. Getting a bunch of buckets full. 

Thanks for contributing to this topic again, love this.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I think it's no harm to try and grow some veg, who knows what the supply chain will be like in the summer. 

I just try to do little and often,  I'm hurting a awful lot from yesterday so today im starting off more seeds and cutting a hedge.... it's dry again, so I'm making the most of it.

It's so very important for mental health to be outside in the fresh air 😊

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everyone, thought I would share some pics of our garden (actually the garden planted and tended by my hubby).  It is growing quite well don’t you think?  The first picture 2as taken on June 9. The second taken today.  He started most everything from seedlings under a grow lamp in the garage.  

2C446671-2DEC-42C4-BCC4-B58E09BC9EAE.png

54979AF3-6940-4DFC-A6DE-631F9FB501D3.jpeg