JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Photos of Our Gardens

I second that WOW!!! Gorgeous!!  I have pictures of years gone by and homes no longer …

With seeds just delivered - we are hoping to once again create an oasis to retreat to  ~  looking forward to the green of spring, the sound of birds and the warm of the sun and tomatoes that taste like tomatoes. :heart:

I can't garden anymore but I do so enjoy seeing the birds coming back; cardinals, always in pairs, wrens, sparrows, even saw my first robin yesterday..even enjoy the squirrels as pesky as they can be. Seems like so little wildlife around anymore..😢

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I'll take more pics this year. I fed 5 families and got what I needed out of my garden last year. Since it's not a big garden I felt good about it. Not having any potato in my limited space this year I'll have more room for other veg. I'm planning on growing a coastal melon, diverse squashes (keeper squashes because they usually sit on my counter until almost March) different cucumbers, green beans, beets (there is still one growing in there now! Plus other stuff I need to decide on.

Here are some pics from today, for starters. 

I can't seem to resize the pics here, hope they're not to big.

The  'z' shaped garden

1159017777_Febgarden1(1531x861).thumb.jpg.9c9c755efd53e30cfcc6cf727c6f2174.jpg

This was 4 butts of walla walla sweet onions I stuck in the ground last fall. Been cutting off them as I cook

1991459276_Febgarden2(1531x861).thumb.jpg.ba42fa6719572d6d50feaa7755d72e23.jpg

Leeks, winter hearty.

209627651_Febgarden3(1531x861).thumb.jpg.c18c58030b5d460d2fee350397d63e34.jpg

I did not know beets were so hearty. I'm going to plant and harvest early then replant in July for winter harvesting.

995893399_Febgarden4(861x1531).thumb.jpg.caa57c41cf4ad41a752553c6b6358901.jpg

The tub of carrots I'm still picking from. I'll replant them again this year, it's a great spot for them.

1654022762_FebGarden5(861x1531).thumb.jpg.7562b99d23deee1b6700298ca477e9bb.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I've just put a couple of raised beds in place today,  nothing grows in this spot at all so I think it will be ok. 

I sprayed it with vinegar, tomorrow I'll cover with cardboard... then compost and soil 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Unfortunately an hour after taking that photo my lawnmower died...and there's definetly not going to be a ressurection.Anybody recommend a lawnmower under 300?I'm thinking Hyundai.

55 minutes ago, anniebea said:

I've just put a couple of raised beds in place today,  nothing grows in this spot at all so I think it will be ok. 

I sprayed it with vinegar, tomorrow I'll cover with cardboard... then compost and soil 

Is the vinegar for the weeds?do you put the compost and soil over the cardboard?

2 hours ago, Dane Rí Rua said:

Unfortunately an hour after taking that photo my lawnmower died...and there's definetly not going to be a ressurection.Anybody recommend a lawnmower under 300?I'm thinking Hyundai.

Is the vinegar for the weeds?do you put the compost and soil over the cardboard?

Sorry about your lawn mower,  we had to buy a new one last year,  they're a awful price! 

Yes I use white vinegar as a weed killer,  it's fantastic... I've seen it in the creamery, but I get the very large gallon containers in the wholesaler.. it even kills grass

5 minutes ago, anniebea said:

Sorry about your lawn mower,  we had to buy a new one last year,  they're a awful price! 

Yes I use white vinegar as a weed killer,  it's fantastic... I've seen it in the creamery, but I get the very large gallon containers in the wholesaler.. it even kills grass

I use a combination of one teaspoon degreasing dish detergent, half a cup of salt, and one gallon of vinegar and half a gallon of water. I have a backpack sprayer that I found on sale that can hold 4 gallons. I absolutely love this type of grass killer. Mainly because I can't be around the chemical stuff at all. And also because I'm environmentally conscious.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I think I read that when armies wanted to get back at their enemies, they 'salted' their land so that no crops could grow..I thought it was in the Bible somewhere..

I have mixed salt and vinegar, but just high concentration of vinegar works well..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 3/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, Dove said:

I think I read that when armies wanted to get back at their enemies, they 'salted' their land so that no crops could grow..I thought it was in the Bible somewhere..

I have mixed salt and vinegar, but just high concentration of vinegar works well..

The patch that I treated with pure vinegar has died,  I'll try take a photo tomorrow

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alrighty my friends I went back to the garden again after being pummeled with bouts of rain. I'm not  'mud' gardener:D.  It's been a while and the fertilizer I put in there last fall must be good because my weeds are like prehistoric size!!! The roots are so deep I have to really dig down to get them all. 

So today I weed wacked all around the garden and then weeded this portion, that's all the energy I had to give. I wanted to plant but first I think I'll contact the local restaurant and see if they want to buy my leeks, I can use a few but not that many. Then I think I'll use this part for about 20 green bean plants. I need 3 cases of canned beans for the season.

Want to go in service in the morning then I'll plant and weed another portion. 

239451297_4_21.191(606x1077).thumb.jpg.19ebfd80dc9fa06d7889da52e073b347.jpg

1141204564_4_21.194(1077x606).thumb.jpg.d8c8d518875e69f10bf35f76acb33d2f.jpg

This lily is beautiful, the slugs seem to be coming out so I put slug bait all around.

87950457_4_21.192(606x1077).thumb.jpg.7dcb3ef1da67c379b2aeed685ffd2496.jpg

The succulent garden is starting out well. I need to add more soil in the big pot on the right, this week.

1715946487_4_21.193(1077x606).thumb.jpg.7ef7a8b7f022bc268509ed01b95c689b.jpg

This is comfrey, I NEED to get it out of it's pot and in the garden somewhere as it has a big tap root. Hafta find a spot. It has a couple little purple blooms, cute.

334430852_4_21.195(606x1077).thumb.jpg.1615fbe791b1f1f3a2614e940a97eeaf.jpg

That’s great Cheryl. Wish I had more of a green thumb. I have a huge backyard For it. But the deer and rabbits and other furry friends would like it too. 

Love the comfrey. Do you grow any other herbs?

• 3 months later...

Wow, nobody's contributing pic's!

Here's today's haul- I got a full 5 gallon bucket of green beans a couple weeks ago and this 1/2 a bucket today. Then I harvested all these cuc's this week. Those little buggers sure can hide under the leaves then they get big and yellow or almost red. Those will be made into sweet and dill relish tomorrow. 

1478562490_Todayshaul(861x1531).thumb.jpg.3da11dddeef28925259bf7ecc2d29d13.jpg

This is my squash patch- Long Island Cheese (oldest squash in the USA), Waltham Butternut and Sweet Dumpling. After I harvested the last of the beans I pulled them...just in time because the squashes are are moving in all directions. Taking over the blueberries on the left. Lots of fruit on them!

It looks dried out out there doesn't it? I want it that way so to keep the slugs away and makes it easier to find the cuc's and squashes.

On the top right by the bucket you can see the spaghetti squash too, you can just make out 2 of them. There's 6 I think on this volunteer plant, seed from last year. 

1517675622_Squashes(1531x861).thumb.jpg.fd90b9cc0e2447d78e321cb0fe01d8e5.jpg

And as an FYI- the restaurant did agree to buy my produce this year, so far I've earned 196.00 for veg and a whole farm raised brisket I didn't have room for right now- New beef coming next weekend.

On Tuesday I will deliver 2- 2 gallon bags of blueberries, 2 gallon bag of black berries, 2 gallon bag of cuc's,  big bag of swiss chard and when the new beef gets here he's buying the heart and tongue and a box of bones. Hope to make another 150.00. That way I have earned enough to buy a gas powered hedge trimmer- something I've wanted for a long time. The little chainsaw just bounces around too much for me.

• 6 months later...

So I worked in a beautiful walled garden up to last October but because of financial issues I left...been unemployed since but I'm now seriously considering opening up my own backyard nursery supplying organic medicinal plants...I'll post pics as and if it progresses 😁

On 2/14/2020 at 11:32 AM, Dane Rí Rua said:

So I worked in a beautiful walled garden up to last October but because of financial issues I left...been unemployed since but I'm now seriously considering opening up my own backyard nursery supplying organic medicinal plants...I'll post pics as and if it progresses 😁

Ohh wow Dane,  that's a great idea! I hope it works out for you...I live quite close to Future Forest, they have a great range of plants etc and are my go to places at the minute.