JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mayan Assembly in US

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1848 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The first Mayan assembly in the US was held at a local Assembly Hall on Saturday. There is a Mayan congregation in San Francisco, a group in Los Angeles and a group in Portland Oregon, a total of 92 publishers. They were expecting a total attendance of 200 for the assembly, however I found out today there were 450 there and 2 were baptized! 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

55 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Do you have a link to the article?

No, there isn't an article. I was there on Friday while they were setting up and getting familiar with the Sound equipment. I talked to a couple of the elders from the San Francisco congregation. Last year there was a sister from their congregation that attended SKE at the AH and was assigned to the group in Portland, one brother said she was assigned to the assembly, I wanted to go by and see her but I didn't make it. Monday I talked to to the AH overseer and found out there were 450 in attendance.

(EDIT: Took the hint and moved to correct forum...)

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

14 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't have a link, so here's a screenshot instead:

He was hinting that I posted in the wrong forum. The forum I posted in is for news articles with links...:lol:

On 2/26/2019 at 4:09 AM, boodles said:

That's neat! My friend in Alabama just said they call on a lady who recently came to the US from Guatemala and speaks only Mam. They're trying to teach her some Spanish so they can communicate better with her.

I didn't even know that Mayan language is still spoken. I thought the Maya disappeared a long time ago and that everybody in Mexico spoke Spanish. Then when I traveled to Yucatán I was surprised not only that Mayan dialects are alive and well, but that many of their speakers hardly know any Spanish.

It's great to hear that our Maya friends had their first assembly. It must have felt like a historic occasion. It's wonderful that the Slave is now giving special attention to these native peoples so that they can learn the good news in the language of their hearts.

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

We have a mixteco group in Othello Washington.  Mixteco is a native language of mexico like mayan!

That sounds familiar,  are there any SKE graduates in that group that may have attended SKE in northern California?