JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Flyover of Jerusalem

that was rubbish Musky...:clown: only joking...a beautiful place...I can imagine it in Bible days..

Madasa is that the figurative Armageddon? and can anyone explain how Islam is there? the mosque?...

Wikipedia has a pretty good article here:

Dome of the Rock

And make sure to follow the links in the article under "Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria."

Masada is a high fortress Palace built by Herod the Great in the wilderness partway between Jerusalem and the road to the Dead Sea to the South. He used it as a palace for pleasure and as an emergency escape in case of assasination attempts or Jewish rebellion. He had another built between it and Jerusalem where he was buried called the Herodian, also in the wilderness - odd looking place as it resembles a volcano with the palace/fort in the crater.

When the Romans came to destroy Jerusalem in 70 AD Jewish rebels and their families escaped to Masada. The Romans seiged Masada and all the Jews, refusing to surrender,960 committed suicide (according to Josephus) there before the Romans got in to either kill them or take them for slaves. The Romans heaped a great ramp up one side of the hill and went at Masada with seige weapons. It was made into a great film starring Peter O' Toole. The seige weapons built for the filming were left there as they were good replicas for tourists to look at while they wait to get to the top by cable car. Masada is a place where Isreali soldiers are regularly 'sworn in' to the army - male or female - as it symbolises the Isreali "No Surrender" Nationalistic mentality.

What I think your referring to Sian is Megiddo - Christendom mistakenly views as Armageddon because it uses part of the Hebrew phrase 'mountain place of assembly' similar to the actual ruin, but as we know Revelation tells us at the start that it is in symbols and signs not real places therein. Megiddo is one of Solomon's chariot cities in the North of Isreal above Jerusalem overlooking the Plains of Jezreel. Archaeologists dug all 3 of Solomon's cities Gezer, Megiddo and Hazor (1 Kings 9:15) and found as you woould expect of one builder, that all 3 had the same plan of gates and walls of casemate design - double walls with crosswalls at regular intervals in large squared blocks.

Megiddo...that's the one Helen...(tu)

Masada is a place where Isreali soldiers are regularly 'sworn in' to the army - male or female - as it symbolises the Isreali "No Surrender" Nationalistic mentality.

that was in a cop tv programme recently ...one of the agents said that...I get easily confused...:D

it is a strange place though....I liked that monastery...cut into the rock...

have you got a potted history of Islam in Jerusalem?...it is on my to research list...but not at the top...

Wikipaedia is always a fairly good source to start with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_history_in_the_region_of_Palestine

This is the Israeli official government site giving a few pages of 'easy to read' history from the second Temple onwards that the Bible does not cover.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts+About+Israel/History/HISTORY-+The+Second+Temple.htm

There's always been Arab/Semitic tribes in the region of Israel, even when the Jews ruled there followed by Seleucids then the Romans.

The Romans conquered Jerusalem and renamed it Aelia Capitolina and built Temple to Jupiter on the Temple site and kept Jews out. The Roman empire in the West dissolved into Independent regions and the Eastern Section became the Byzantine Empire under Eastern Emperors ruling from the fabulous fortress city and harbour of Constantinople that became Byzantuim that later became Istanbul. They ruled Israel from 313-630.

In the 600's Mohammed got his visions and united the warring Arab pagan tribes under the warrior banner of the Mohammedan/Muslim faith. They conquered or converted much of the East and Byzantium and it's Empire and the whole area as far as Spain and North Africa became part of the Caliphate,(the Caliphs rebuilt much of Jerusalem and the Dome of the Rock) then the Abbasids ruling from Damascus and Bagdad, then Mamluk Sultans (1247-1517) from Egypt, then Ottoman Turkish Empire from Istanbul. Despite Crusades and reconquests the Ottomons won out over the Crusaders, until the First World War when the British took it and ruled only by Mandate of the League of Nations. The British gave all the previous territory of Israel East of the Jordan to the Hashemite Kingdom Of Jordan. The British left in controversial circumstances in 1948 making promises to the Palestinians and the Jews (many mistreated by the British on getting to Isreal by ship from concentration camps) they were unable to fulfill and there's been trouble ever since.

There's always been Arab/Semitic tribes in the region of Israel, even when the Jews ruled there followed by Seleucids then the Romans.

...interesting

I had a quick look through the wiki article...

"In 1099 the Christian Crusaders, under the support of the Roman Catholic Church, launched the First Crusade campaign with the aim of regaining control of Jerusalem from the Islamic Empire and helping the Byzantine Empire fight the Seljuk Turks. During the campaign, the Crusaders launched an assault on the city of Jerusalem, captured it in July 1099, massacring many of the city's Muslim and Jewish inhabitants, and established the Christian Kingdom of Jerusalem."

so that's where the crusades were...I did not know that...

The British gave all the previous territory of Israel East of the Jordan to the Hashemite Kingdom Of Jordan. The British left in controversial circumstances in 1948 making promises to the Palestinians and the Jews (many mistreated by the British on getting to Isreal by ship from concentration camps) they were unable to fulfill and there's been trouble ever since.

the brits involved again!...

thanks for the research Helen...Bible history is something I need to get on...but the list of things I want to look in and research...I could never do it all in this system...