JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1652 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I found this interesting.

KM 3/85

"Why not take the opportunity to study or review some of the older publications. . . .perhaps newer publishers have not had a chance to examine their contents. The information in these books has strengthened the worldwide unity of Jehovah's Witnesses and has contributed to our spiritual development. (1 Cor. 1:10) If you have not already done so, why not obtain such older publications for your own theocratic library".

This was from an "older publication" but isn't it still applicable today?

Indeed, most points in our older literature (after we were counted worthy of bearing God's name in 1931) are accurate.

What I have noticed is that points proven by Scripture references are virtually all correct (unless a cross reference was missed).

On the other hand, points that have clarifying words such as "it is reasonable to conclude" are fallible.

For example, human reasoning led us to believe the creative days were 7,000 years long each.... but the Scriptural points on variant definitions of "day" in Scripture were/are correct.

A cf. that is sometimes missed is the second math equation in Psalms 90:4.   [which depends on the length of the "watch.")

34 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I found this interesting.

KM 3/85

"Why not take the opportunity to study or review some of the older publications. . . .perhaps newer publishers have not had a chance to examine their contents. The information in these books has strengthened the worldwide unity of Jehovah's Witnesses and has contributed to our spiritual development. (1 Cor. 1:10) If you have not already done so, why not obtain such older publications for your own theocratic library".

This was from an "older publication" but isn't it still applicable today?

Hi Dean..

There can't be a definitive answer to the use of older literature... The GB often refer to thing in the distant past - like'' this was mentioned in  the WT in 1869'.

The reference to the KM, you made, was 34 years ago... a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then :)

On the other hand it depends on what the references are talking about.. An article in WT 1879 that might have said 'Love is essential', will never be out of date, will it!

However there are older books that have inaccurate applications: the Identification of Gog of Magog comes to mind... If were 'up to speed' with the newer applications and understandings then you could filter out what is 'not quite right'. But how extensive is our current knowledge? Certainly you would not encourage a new bible student to look up old literature; Wow the discussions you'd have then!!!! You may as well give them a stick to beat you with :eek::(

So perhaps the best advice is, if you do bother... use caution?

On 5/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, My little flower said:

I am making a compilation of the prophetic books for my personal study and future use so I can hide them in a secure place. Books such as Isaiah’s prophecy, live with jehovah’s Day in mind, daniel’s prophecy, revelations grand climax.please any links where I can download them?ASAP

One of my favorite older publications is the book on Daniel released at our 1958 convention (8 days, btw) "Your will be done on earth"

You can find the text on our online library from the Watchtower articles that printed portions one by one.

But you need the book to see the illustrations!   

It was mint green, btw.   

7 minutes ago, Alan said:

Hi Dean..

There can't be a definitive answer to the use of older literature... The GB often refer to thing in the distant past - like'' this was mentioned in  the WT in 1869'.

The reference to the KM, you made, was 34 years ago... a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then :)

On the other hand it depends on what the references are talking about.. An article in WT 1879 that might have said 'Love is essential', will never be out of date, will it!

However there are older books that have inaccurate applications: the Identification of Gog of Magog comes to mind... If were 'up to speed' with the newer applications and understandings then you could filter out what is 'not quite right'. But how extensive is our current knowledge? Certainly you would not encourage a new bible student to look up old literature; Wow the discussions you'd have then!!!! You may as well give them a stick to beat you with :eek::(

So perhaps the best advice is, if you do bother... use caution?

Since my long term memory is good but my short term memory not so good - what is the new understanding on Gog and Magog?

From my viewpoint - it does not make much difference since we already knew/know that Satan and the nations will attack us!

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102017189#h=41:0-47:369

The point about Gog's bones being buried is in Ezekiel 39:4,11-20.

To me what is really faith strengthening is that our oldest reference, the Bible itself, needs no updating!   Proof the Bible was miraculously inspired of God (2 Tim. 3:16) but our interpretations are fallible (2 Peter 2:20,21 - extended not contextual application).

One of my favorite older publications is the book on Daniel released at our 1958 convention (8 days, btw) "Your will be done on earth"

You can find the text on our online library from the Watchtower articles that printed portions one by one.

But you need the book to see the illustrations!   

It was mint green, btw.   
Coming soon as an epub with pictures.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Newtonian said:

Since my long term memory is good but my short term memory not so good - what is the new understanding on Gog and Magog?

From my viewpoint - it does not make much difference since we already knew/know that Satan and the nations will attack us!

accuracy and letting us know about any significant changes, is important isn't it? The GB think so, otherwise why update after research?

Check out the original Ezekiel book attribution verses the current one. It will still be worth your time.

1 hour ago, Newtonian said:

Proof the Bible was miraculously inspired of God (2 Tim. 3:16) but our interpretations are fallible (2 Peter 2:20,21 - extended not contextual application).

And still Jehovah uses these imperfect men to help us. We would have no interpretation if it were not for Jehovah providing them as part of his earthly organisation.  Jehovah allows what he wants  but also reveals at the appropriate time...

just look at this example.

Acts 1:6. Jesus was right there with them and could have answered 'correctly'.. 'put them right' but he didn't.  We have accept what Jehovah gives us 'at the time', with grace.

2 hours ago, Newtonian said:

what is the new understanding on Gog and Magog?

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102017189#h=41:0-47:369

You answered your own question :thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Ok, I get the picture!

Er - I don't get the picture.

Seriously - did Jesus use actual pictures when he gave illustrations?   

He might have drawn something. Earlier there was little or no signs of humans depicted in early Jewish art, but lately there have been some great instances found.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 10/9/2019 at 9:51 AM, Alan said:

accuracy and letting us know about any significant changes, is important isn't it? The GB think so, otherwise why update after research?

Check out the original Ezekiel book attribution verses the current one. It will still be worth your time.

And still Jehovah uses these imperfect men to help us. We would have no interpretation if it were not for Jehovah providing them as part of his earthly organisation.  Jehovah allows what he wants  but also reveals at the appropriate time...

just look at this example.

Acts 1:6. Jesus was right there with them and could have answered 'correctly'.. 'put them right' but he didn't.  We have accept what Jehovah gives us 'at the time', with grace.

Certainly true - food at the proper time though the faithful slave (FDS) as foretold - Matthew 24:45

My point, and what amazes me, is that the Bible is way older and needs no updating - in fact most of the meals (Mt.24:45) are already in the Bible!

Yes - Acts 1:6-8 - good reason the slave is focusing on witnessing to all the nations rather than on the timing of Armageddon!