JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

cant run WTLSetup.. again

Hi all

I had problems sometime back with the Update downloading, then asking if you want to run the update and then you get a window saying WTLib is running. you try to stop the program and them it stops WTLibrary running completely.. errors like link doesn't exist. then trying to re-install again.. managed on one laptop but the other little tablet (win 10) if you run the setup file WTLSetup it gives the impression of running for a few seconds  but doesn't install.

Tried deleting everything of the Watchtower directory but still not installing.

any ideas..

Thanks all

6 hours ago, Alan said:

Hi all

I had problems sometime back with the Update downloading, then asking if you want to run the update and then you get a window saying WTLib is running. you try to stop the program and them it stops WTLibrary running completely.. errors like link doesn't exist. then trying to re-install again.. managed on one laptop but the other little tablet (win 10) if you run the setup file WTLSetup it gives the impression of running for a few seconds  but doesn't install.

Tried deleting everything of the Watchtower directory but still not installing.

any ideas..

Thanks all

In addition to what Carlos said, I have found an occasional setup where the previous version did not get erased. We had to go back and delete any files with "Watchtower" in the titles.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:29 PM, jwhess said:

In addition to what Carlos said, I have found an occasional setup where the previous version did not get erased. We had to go back and delete any files with "Watchtower" in the titles.

@jwhess @carlos. I think you are both on the right path..

After tracing out every entry/file of WTlib on the tablet's SSD. (they are not in one place :( )I managed to install it again on a 32Gb Win 10 tablet.. with 7Gb free. However the update from the jw.org download (which was only 2017 BTW).. would not go on. It recreated the same situation where WTlib doesn't run at all afterwards. Quite an unfortunate situation really to stop a program working after a failed update.

However I discovered that you can put the WTLib on a memory stick and run it directly off that; no installation at all.. I just put a shortcut on the desktop pointing to the .exe in the \E directory.  it was the 2017 version so i copied the files, wholesale, from my 'working' and updated desktop pc \E directory (this is not the E:\ drive) to the memory stick and got the latest version with no updates required.  I just need to tell the Bro whose tablet this is, to copy those files to the stick every quarter. I would be nice to know 'which' files are necessary though, rather than copy everything over.

I just wish there was a proper uninstall 'cleanup' program from the organisation that would save this searching and deleting, in future.

thanks both for your suggestions