JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents

oh dear .... another round of someone looking bad in the news

I agree Elizabeth...and I do not care if this sounds judgemental...but what do they think they are playing at...even IF nothing bad happens...programmes like that...will mix it up as much as possible...giving all apostates and opposer's ammunition...

I remember watching the first episide of "Lie to Me" here in the USA. The story line centered around a "Jehovah's Witness family" and boy did it misrepresent us in a major way, by making the son look repressed and the father unreasonably strict and the mother afraid to speak out. It was sad.

Outside of that, it was an entertaining show thereafter.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

And this programme will be broadcast 7 times on BBC3! Let's hope the girl acts responsibly. (?)

This is from the website Sun, Sex, and Suspicious Parents

"Sophie experiments with laughing gas and decides to go skinny dipping,..." Sophie is the JW. Oh man....

I have to say though, that when I was that age, I left the truth to see what was out there. So did a lot of other JW's that I grew up with. I was one of the fortunate ones to come back to the truth. So in a way, I understand...

This "Witness family" are probably apostates posing as witnesses. I'm sorry, but no faithful witness parents that I know would let their daughter go on a "summer holiday" to the Greek islands alone, or with a friend their own age. Here in the states we call it "spring break" and they are notorious for drugs and immorality.

This family is obviously getting paid to participate. One of you British friends should see if you can find out anything through the congregation they supposedly attend once we know their full names.

i do not they are witnesses either. However, letting your child go along with somebody of its own age may differ from one parent to another. THe only suspicious thing in this one is that other person is of a different sex.

USA is notorious for drugs and sex but i know some who would still let their children who are on a resonable age come

Actually, from the synopsis of the story on the website, it makes it sound like she goes by herself and then meets up with the other person and his "group".

If she is still living under her parents roof, even if she is 18, they could have stopped her from going. It seems like they are willing participants in this.

I saw an episode of the TV show "Intervention" where the family was almost certainly JWs. A web site (I can't remember which one) stated that they were JWs. The family, including the main person this episode was focused on (and who made it clear he was no longer spiritual), appeared to be hiding the name of the faith. It was a sad episode, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for the whole family.

edit: I think the web site was Wikipedia, so that puts doubt into whether the family were JWs or not. Even if someone tries to keep being a Witness concealed, it can still come out. JWs being on TV shows just seems very questionable, generally speaking.

Hey, this reminds me of an episode of the TV show "Blind Date" that I think many here would find very "interesting"... A man is very preachy and gives his date a Greatest Man book! (at 1:24 ) He comes across as a real nutcase. I hope this isn't :offtopic: - I can start a thread if it belongs elsewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-cyWavi_M

THis guy is*** wait for it** REALLY STUPID!!!! :wall:( sorry!!!:() but that was my impression. BUt it might be good if he is a bible student but we know for sure he is not a Witnesses. Talking about that? what do you of dating on the internet? like dating sites!! i came across a supposedely witness dating site. Weird right!!!!!

I just watched it. Sophie is not a witness and even says that she doesn't want to be one. While telling the camera that she then proceeds to puke up as she has been drinking too much. The parents are witnesses and didn't realize the things that their daughter gets up to. Its a pretty terrible episode and includes nudity, snorting alcohol, three way kissing, indecent exposure and drinking and licking alcohol off of blokes bodies. I think its an error of judgement to be on a show like this. Because she is 18 and unbaptized then they don't plan on disowning her. They are just glad that they know what she gets up to. All in all a terrible episode for Jehovah's name to be anywhere near. Hopefully this girl comes back before its too late. I managed it and got up to much more nonsense than was on here. Terrible TV and I bet Satan loved it.

If she is the daughter of "strict Jehovah's Witnesses," why did the "Witnesses" not only allow her to take the trip but agree to be on a show that will only paint Witnesses in a bad light? Doesn't add up!

I think strict goes hand in hand with the term Jehovah's Witnesses. We have strict principals and high morals. At 18 in the UK you are an adult and your parents don't have much say in what you do. I never took trouble home with me so my parents allowed me to do as I please. Sounds like this is what happened in this case. The parents were merely observers of something they didn't realize was happening.

I just watched it. Sophie is not a witness and even says that she doesn't want to be one. While telling the camera that she then proceeds to puke up as she has been drinking too much. The parents are witnesses and didn't realize the things that their daughter gets up to. Its a pretty terrible episode and includes nudity, snorting alcohol, three way kissing, indecent exposure and drinking and licking alcohol off of blokes bodies. I think its an error of judgement to be on a show like this. Because she is 18 and unbaptized then they don't plan on disowning her. They are just glad that they know what she gets up to. All in all a terrible episode for Jehovah's name to be anywhere near. Hopefully this girl comes back before its too late. I managed it and got up to much more nonsense than was on here. Terrible TV and I bet Satan loved it.

I didn't watch it...I knew I would get angry,,, Jehovah's name brought down to the level of cheap reality TV ...

Hey, this reminds me of an episode of the TV show "Blind Date" that I think many here would find very "interesting"... A man is very preachy and gives his date a Greatest Man book! (at 1:24 ) He comes across as a real nutcase. I hope this isn't :offtopic: - I can start a thread if it belongs elsewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-cyWavi_M

The video isn't there anymore. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to go to Youtube directly. And that dude is NOT a JW. Geez.... Although it's nice he placed a book with her. I wonder if the person that originally gave him the book can count it as a 2nd placement. LOL

I watched the programme today (clashed with Masterchef last night!) and fast-forwarded a lot of it. The parents struck me as fairly naiive, they appeared to be sincere but their daughter showed she wasn't interested in the truth at 14years old, and is now 18. All her bad habits she kept from her parents. Now they know about her secrets (smoking, alcohol, sex) they said they needed to keep more open lines of communication with her, and the girl also felt she could talk to he parents more openly now. Perhaps something good came out of it.

I didn't feel that Jehovah's name was belittled at all, and our standards of behaviour were clearly set out.

It did show what to expect if your youngster goes on one of these holidays, though.

You can watch the episode here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bbvhq/Sun_Sex_and_Suspicious_Parents_Series_2_Kos/

It in my opinion is a terrible bit of TV and not good for Jehovah's Witnesses to watch. I do not mind if the moderators want to delete the link and only recommend watching it to those who are not too sensitive.

The parents are very naive and obviously not aware what these types of programs are like.