JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ida Eisenhower - Why isn’t THAT in your museum, National Historical Park Service?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1778 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

They wanted to make him king? And he declined?

“Therefore Jesus, knowing they were about to come and seize him to make him king, withdrew again into the mountain all alone.” (John 6:15)

Few who have read the verse will have had that same offer, much less the experience of accepting it. But Dwight D. Eisenhower was one of the few. The victorious general gets to be president—it worked for George Washington, then Andrew Jackson, then Zachary Taylor, then Ulysses Grant. And it worked for Dwight D. Eisenhower, elected “king” in 1952. He had served as Supreme Commander of Allied Forces during World War II.

At the Eisenhower National Historic Site in Pennsylvania, the ranger almost immediately made a mistake. Ike and his siblings were raised in the Mennonite religion, she said. I knew it was wrong. They were raised as Jehovah’s Witnesses—‘Bible Students’ was the name back then. Yet even when I had one-on-one time with the ranger, I did not challenge her because 1) I had forgotten about it, and 2) the reason I had forgotten about it is that I had initially told myself that maybe his parents were Mennonites longer than they were Witnesses, or maybe they were not Witnesses during their childrens’ formative years. However, I checked later. They were. She was wrong—amazingly wrong, because the National Historical Park Service is not wrong about anything.....continued:

https://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2019/06/why-isnt-that-in-your-museum-national-historic-park-service-eisenhowers-mom.html

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

They wanted to make him king? And he declined?

“Therefore Jesus, knowing they were about to come and seize him to make him king, withdrew again into the mountain all alone.” (John 6:15)

Few who have read the verse will have had that same offer, much less the experience of accepting it. But Dwight D. Eisenhower was one of the few. The victorious general gets to be president—it worked for George Washington, then Andrew Jackson, then Zachary Taylor, then Ulysses Grant. And it worked for Dwight D. Eisenhower, elected “king” in 1952. He had served as Supreme Commander of Allied Forces during World War II.

At the Eisenhower National Historic Site in Pennsylvania, the ranger almost immediately made a mistake. Ike and his siblings were raised in the Mennonite religion, she said. I knew it was wrong. They were raised as Jehovah’s Witnesses—‘Bible Students’ was the name back then. Yet even when I had one-on-one time with the ranger, I did not challenge her because 1) I had forgotten about it, and 2) the reason I had forgotten about it is that I had initially told myself that maybe his parents were Mennonites longer than they were Witnesses, or maybe they were not Witnesses during their childrens’ formative years. However, I checked later. They were. She was wrong—amazingly wrong, because the National Historical Park Service is not wrong about anything.....continued:

https://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2019/06/why-isnt-that-in-your-museum-national-historic-park-service-eisenhowers-mom.html

Quoted from Adherents.com

"People listed here come from a Jehovah's Witness background, or are converts who became Jehovah's Witnesses. A range of participation is represented by these individuals, from full activity to disaffiliation.

Politics: 
Dwight D. Eisenhower - U.S. President (raised JW) 
- Evelyn Mandela - first wife of South African president Nelson Mandela (convert to JWs) 
- Lieby Piliso - Nelson Mandela's younger sister "

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Old said:

Quoted from Adherents.com

"People listed here come from a Jehovah's Witness background, or are converts who became Jehovah's Witnesses. A range of participation is represented by these individuals, from full activity to disaffiliation.

Politics: 
Dwight D. Eisenhower - U.S. President (raised JW) 
- Evelyn Mandela - first wife of South African president Nelson Mandela (convert to JWs) 
- Lieby Piliso - Nelson Mandela's younger sister "

Wow , I knew about Ike but had no idea about Mandela! 

I always liked side-story about Sr. Ida Eisenhower.

*** w80 10/15 pp. 25-26 A Soldier Who Became a Preacher ***

Toward the end of August we were on maneuvers in Colorado. I refused guard duty and was called to the headquarters tent. Halfway up the path I was told to sit under a juniper tree until called. While I was waiting, a soldier cried, “Mail call!” and someone brought me a letter. I had just finished reading it when I was told to report.

As I entered the headquarters tent, where all the “top brass” had gathered, I didn’t salute. One of the officers said: “Don’t you salute your superiors?”

“No, Sir.”

“Why not?”

Respectfully, I gave my reasons, based on my understanding of the Bible. At that the officer said: “General Eisenhower ought to line you Jehovah’s Witnesses up and shoot you all!”

“Do you think he would shoot his own mother, Sir?” I asked.

“What do you mean by that?” he shot back.

Reaching in my pocket and taking out Sister Eisenhower’s letter, I handed it to him. “I just received this letter from the General’s mother while waiting for you to call me.”

As he read the letter, which you see reproduced on the opposite page, the other officers also gathered around to look at it. Thoughtfully, and with a greatly changed attitude, he handed it back to me. “Get back to ranks,” he said, “I don’t want to get mixed up with the General’s mother.”

Ida Eisenhower, whose son later became president of the United States, was, at the time, 82 years of age. From reading her letter, you can see that for most of her life she had been one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The timing of her letter’s arrival could not have been better! Her encouragement was just what I needed.

JW's don't make celebrities of their members, not even the GB. Celebrity endorsements are what the Scientologists do, not us. 

Also, there's an understanding among politicians that you don't make mileage out of the families. Nobody's got 'clean' kids.

I think the last Pope had family members who were JW's too.

Eisenhower was the president before social media. History forgets these things after thirty years or so. God remembers. That's why we want to please him over the world.