JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

His Dark Materials - steer clear of this

Just a warning ahead of a new HBO show coming out this autumn called "His Dark Materials" based on the books by Philip Pullman.

Most brothers will avoid this due to the use of the word "daemon" to describe animal companions in this fantasy world that reflect the personality of their owners, along with the presence of other mythical creatures and persons including some magic. However, some will probably be on the fence as so often with TV shows and movies like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones. Here is a very self-explanatory plot synopsis snippet from wikipedia:

The Authority

The Authority was the first angel to come into existence; as did the subsequent angels, he formed and condensed from the substance known as Dust. He led other angels and, later, humanity to believe that he was in fact God the creator of the multiverse. This false claim legitimised his taking political power in the Kingdom of Heaven. The angel Xaphania later found out the truth about him, whereupon he banished her from the Kingdom (a reference to the legend of Lucifer). Xaphania and some other angels later started a rebellion against him. The Authority would assume several names, including "Yahweh", the "Lord", "El", "Adonai", and "the Almighty".

He ruled his various churches, organisations, and universes from the Clouded Mountain, a mobile city believed by many in that universe to be Heaven. As the Authority grew older and weaker, the Mountain became more and more obscured by cloud.

In his old age, the Authority appointed the tyrannical archangel Metatron, to act as Regent of the Kingdom of Heaven. Eventually Metatron grew more powerful than his master. The two are opposed by Lord Asriel, who allies with "fallen" angels such as Xaphania in an attempt to overthrow the divine monarchy and replace it with a Republic of Heaven. During the final battle, the Authority is carried away from the Clouded Mountain on the orders of Metatron. He is imprisoned in a crystal box, which keeps him alive but trapped. Lyra Belacqua and Will Parry free him with the Subtle Knife, not knowing he is too weak to survive outside his box. He drifts apart and dies in a moment of happiness following other characters' precedent by merging with the cosmos.

Doesn't get much more blatantly satanic than this.

Made the mistake of reading this in junior high. While I loved the fantasy setting and world building it built in the first book and half of second... When it got to her father and mothers plans and all the overthrow god stuff... I was done. I finished it to finish a series but the end book was a no. A definite no. 

Save yourself the trouble. Don't watch/read.

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

8 hours ago, Nirex said:

Made the mistake of reading this in junior high. While I loved the fantasy setting and world building it built in the first book and half of second... When it got to her father and mothers plans and all the overthrow god stuff... I was done. I finished it to finish a series but the end book was a no. A definite no. 

Save yourself the trouble. Don't watch/read.

I read the Northern Lights and found it very exciting and interesting, but for some reason I never got into the Subtle Knife and then quit reading it before I got to that part. It was only after I had watched the first movie with Daniel Craig and realized they were not going to film the book sequels that I decided to just google the plot and how it went on. This was a few years ago. I just remember my shock at how blatantly gnostic and satanic this is. When I recently heard that HBO was going to make a full series of this, I knew Satan was desperately working to make one more attempt to bring one of his favorite propaganda pieces to the public again. HBO poured huge production value into "Game of Thrones" creating a very popular TV show with a great level of production quality. I think that this "His Dark Materials" will be of a similar production quality and also become very popular among people. It could even play a small part in the destruction of BTG in how anti-religious and anti-Church the plot is.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...