JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

On the Perception of Race

13 hours ago, JennyM said:

@Bek Why do  many Latina women win the Miss universe than Eastern women? You can find those kind of softer facial features in all race.... I once saw a beautiful black woman.. her skin is like chocolate, but shes so beautiful .. I can't take my eyes on her. 

Yes, I think its Columbia, Puerto Rico and Venezuela that have won Miss Universe a number of times. Having softer features does not mean more beautiful. It is only a personal preference of some men like Br. Matthew. :) 

It turns out that the US has the most Miss Universe wins in history. I think your country has also won the contest a number of times. Angola, South Africa and even Japan has won it.

Interestingly, Eastern Slavic countries have not taken part in the contest, except for a few showings from Russia. There was one Russian Miss Universe win in 2002. I have looked at the list of Russian Miss Universe contestants, and they are not all Slavic. Some of them are from other ethnic groups judging by their names. According to some reports, Ukraine will take part in Miss Universe for the first time this year.    

There are many other countries with beautiful women that take part in Miss Universe, but have never won. Does it mean that their women are unattractive? Of course not. I don't think it is wise to judge just by one contest.

By the way, I have just looked at the photos of some of Miss Universe winners. I was a bit surprised. Maybe Miss Universe is not only about beauty, but also about something else.  

Edited by Bek

4 hours ago, Bek said:

By the way, I have just looked at the photos of some of Miss Universe winners. I was a bit surprised. Maybe Miss Universe is not only about beauty, but also about something else.  

They should know how to walk like a model.. confidence.. know how to answer a questions.. 

contestants need to go to the gym, with team of trainers on how to walk.. make up.. gowns. 

• 4 weeks later...

What an interesting topic. I started thinking about this when I was 17. (35 years ago...) I was working in a factory doing injection moulding. The plastic granules in the hopper at the top of my machine were white. Scattered through was a black one. 1/20th black and 1/80th white. However, the whole shot came out black. I started to think... no-one is black as black and no-one is white as white. We are all somewhere in-between. That is a difference in skin pigment less than 1/20th in skin pigment. The actual difference in pigmentations, other than the aesthetic is so small, it is unmeasurable. The diversity only illustrates how wonderfully we arr made.