JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Six more jailed in Russia.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1701 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

17 hours ago, sunshine said:

"The six were also barred from holding leadership positions for five years." 

Is the article an online translation ( online translations sometimes make for awkward reading) ; I ask because I have no idea what this might mean.  I 

There is a law in Russian-speaking countries that does not allow convicted people to hold any leadership positions in organisations. In Russia, elders are seen as leaders who organise congregations and run them.  

On 9/22/2019 at 6:00 AM, Bek said:

There is a law in Russian-speaking countries that does not allow convicted people to hold any leadership positions in organisations. In Russia, elders are seen as leaders who organise congregations and run them.  

Oh I think I get it so they couldn't say be teachers in state schools or things like that   (obviously no government can stop a brother from being one of our elders) but they can make them lose their jobs if they had a high position in the secular world ...

12 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Oh I think I get it so they couldn't say be teachers in state schools or things like that   (obviously no government can stop a brother from being one of our elders) but they can make them lose their jobs if they had a high position in the secular world ...

Oh, I understand your confusion now. Since the congregations, which are called local religious organisations in Russian laws, are banned, you must be wondering what is the point of forbidding brothers from holding "leadership positions". I don't know to be frank. It might apply both to secular leadership positions and unofficial underground congregations.

In Russia, laws and the legal system in general are often used in political ways without any regard to justice. If Putin or those around him want a certain court decision, they will get it whether the law says it or not. 

Edited by Bek