JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Locking [Funk & Soul Dance]

So, after all this time I had no idea one of my favorite styles has a name! For the longest time I had leard of locking and mistakenly thought it was the same as "pop and lock" or robot dance (though some people intergrate that into it). But I was very wrong and what I had been looking for all this time was this style.

A good clip of it here, though danced to drum and bass, as opposed to Funk music which is what it is usually danced to. But you can see all the old school moves, disco style points, grooves and so on. :) It was this style that was predominant on Soul Train. Today it's very rare to see, even in dancing communities.

Another good example here from this point on this video, closer to the old school way.

Edited by EccentricM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well here's some progress, I made an updated practice video

It's really weird (and hard) dancing without music, lol. Would have a better groove if dancing to a live track, but added a track in to the video. (I really need a new MP3 player or something).

Edited by EccentricM

10 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Your practicing is paying off. :D 

How can you possibly remember all those moves??????

I find locking the most "naturalistic" dance for me personally, next to Lindyhop. The moves sort of naturally flow once you learn them and do them a few times. Sometimes though I look up YT playlists of the moves or videos show casing them (with the names one by one) and try to keep up.  A lot of it though is learning the "foundations" and core principles of the style, from there you can just add personalised variation to all the things you've learned.

• 5 weeks later...

So I just learned not long ago, Don Campbell aka Campellock passed away yesterday, the first originator of the Locking style. Said loss, but hopefully we'll see him again. He left quite a legacy!

Edited by EccentricM

• 10 months later...