JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WhatsApp will soon stop working on millions of smartphones.

Popular messaging service WhatsApp will soon stop working on millions of smartphones.

From February 1, older operating systems on Apple and Android devices will no longer be supported by the hugely-popular app.

iPhone users running on iOS 8 or earlier and Android customers with versions 2.3.7 and older will be locked out next month.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/whatsapp-stop-working-2020-iphone-android/e1ffb3c9-6ab7-4a20-a9cd-4376338ce58582a30c9a8d62da626f16455ecc5c8874.jpg6f80de64057303b27f2ce228a0d875ed.jpg

Just Older

My smartphone has gone through two batteries and stopped updating at 7.1.1

I'm hoping it will last me til the end of this system because I can't afford a new one.

My old Dell desktop is still chugging away on XP.  Lol :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Android 7 (Nougat) isn't bad, that's actually when I really started to prefer the look and feel of the operating system. They added official side-by-side app functionality which I still use for taking notes between JW Library and Docs. Depending on the manufacturer, some devices that old still receive occasional or major security updates, but at least it bypasses most of the older security flaws. I still use the stock Android 7 ROM with some rooted modifications on my Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet, which was one of the longest supported devices from 5 through 7. And since it's a tablet, I don't have to worry about most text-messaging based Android hacks, that's what my phone is for. I recently replaced an old Samsung phone that was running 7.0, because unfortunately it doesn't have a replaceable or easily accessible battery. I still need to learn how to solder a new one into my old tablet too, because it has a special chip on the battery that needs to be transferred to the new one I ordered. But in general it's gotten to the point where you can get a 'free' subsidized new cell phone with a budget phone plan ($30/mo) than is better than most phones that came out a couple of years ago, and once that contract is done after 6 months or whatever switch to a $15/mo plan. It's just a matter of being able to know how and deal with the paperwork.

@Friends just call me Ross If I was there I would switch your desktop over to a Linux OS for you ASAP. Win XP needs to die already, it's just not safe, especially with Internet Explorer. :<

30 minutes ago, Myew said:

@Friends just call me Ross If I was there I would switch your desktop over to a Linux OS for you ASAP. Win XP needs to die already, it's just not safe, especially with Internet Explorer. :<

Internet Explorer won't work with my XP and everyday I get a message across

the top of my screen.  It's Google, telling me that it will no longer update on XP. 

Thanks for the heads up, though.   Even Windows no longer supports Windows XP. :D

AVG antivirus is still functioning just fine, though, and I keep it updated.

I've got everything worth saving, on my old Dell desktop, backed up to my Seagate portable storage unit.

Like the fall of BTG, I know the BCC (big computer crash) is coming.  It's inevitable.

Until that day, I will continue to play away.:D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif