JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Second Instance of JW Library

21 minutes ago, Good-O said:

Is there any way I can do that on my home PC?  Is the iPad the only way?  TIA

Yes, there is. You can do it in your browser by installing a window-splitting extension. That way you can open wol.jw.org in two tabs and have them side by side. 

Please see this article for instructions for various browsers: 

https://digiwonk.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-split-screen-browser-windows-chrome-safari-firefox-and-internet-explorer-0140158/

Here is an example of what I have in my Chrome: 

Screenshot_2020-01-26_18-47-03.thumb.png.7b3ad2b1fa7257e9e07907bdd57733e0.png

Edited by Bek

For Chrome, there is also this extension called Split Tabs, which might be easier to use. After installing it, you will see an icon (two small squares on top of a rectangle) in the top right-hand corner of the browser.

Then you need open wol.jw.org and then hit the extension icon. You will get options for splitting windows. Go for the two-window option. You should get two evenly split instances of Chrome. The first one will have wol.jw.org and you also need to type the same address in the second window. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/split-tabs/mamepagkigmnpoalafajabnljlkkocbk?hl=en

Edited by Bek

On 1/25/2020 at 6:38 PM, Floyd said:

Any way to start another instance of JW Library? Sometimes I want to look up something else but don't want to lose my place.

Hi Floyd,

We can have 2 programs of the WT Library(CD) if they are in different languages. I have both the English edition and the Spanish edition on my PC and I sometimes have both of them in a "split screen" studying them together. The 2 different languages can even be synchronized to the same article. So it would seem possible to install and run 2 programs of the same language. The problem is that if you have, for example, the English edition installed and you try to install a 2nd English edition, you receive a message asking if you want to "completely remove WT Library". If you press "No", then you cannot install the 2nd program. Maybe someone knows a way to install a 2nd edition of the same language, this would be useful in researching. Thanks for starting the topic Floyd. (tu)

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

On 1/25/2020 at 7:38 PM, Floyd said:

Any way to start another instance of JW Library?

Depends on the device. Windows, Android, or iOS?
https://www.howtogeek.com/287404/how-to-run-the-same-app-in-multiple-windows-on-android-nougat/ might work on Android? Seems like a big hassle.
It also looks like there's an Android and iOS app called Parallel Space which, I believe, allows you to clone apps and use them with different accounts? And then you could run them side by side I assume. I'm not quite sure and don't want to test it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lbe.parallel.intl&hl=en_US
In Windows, you would have to use a third party desktop or operating system virtualization software, with one instance of JW Library running on the main OS and one running in the virtual OS. Windows doesn't natively support opening multiple instances with their built in virtual desktop. Also a hassle, but there are plenty of decent Android emulators for free.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:38 PM, Floyd said:

Sometimes I want to look up something else but don't want to lose my place.

Or try the history function. https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/windows/history/

On 1/26/2020 at 6:44 AM, Bek said:

You can do it in your browser by installing a window-splitting extension. That way you can open wol.jw.org in two tabs and have them side by side.

You don't need an extension for this, you can do it with any two windows in Windows 10. Open Task View with Win+Tab, right click on one Window and click Snap Left, click the other window you want on the right. Done.

Edited by Myew

4 hours ago, Myew said:

You don't need an extension for this, you can do it with any two windows in Windows 10. Open Task View with Win+Tab, right click on one Window and click Snap Left, click the other window you want on the right. Done.

Ok, that's quite handy. Though it maybe a bit more work.

Personally, I don't use Win 10. Been on Linux Mint, which is free and less intrusive. :)

It's actually even simpler than that on Linux Mint (which I also use). Just hold the Super/Windows key and press left or right when a window is highlighted. On either OS you can also just drag any window to the left or right edge of the screen and drop it. On Windows however you get a nice bar in the middle that let's you adjust both of the windows center position at once.