JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hypnosis

People under the power of hypnosis can be made to do things that they would never even dream of.

I saw a program where one of the guests who was a well known celebrity hated radish.

Really hated it. But the hypnotist said to her ,while under his influence, that when she sees a

radish she will have a craving for it and will want to eat it desperately . Of course she was brought

out of the trance and the show ended. She was followed by camera out of the studio and ,

naturally, someone was wheeling a cart with various vegetables on it, including a radish.

Without hesitation she picked it up and started taking big bites out of it.

Asked why she was eating something she hated she really didn't know.

And continued to eat it while being interviewed.

This could be passed off just as a contrived situation + plus good acting but I really don't think so.

How this can be related to all the terrible crimes we see in the world I don't know but it wouldn't

surprise me to find out that a lot of the suicide bombings and other terrible acts of terrorism have

been carried out by people under the influence of a hypnotist.

Brings to mind the scripture (Deuteronomy 18:11) . . .one who binds others with a spell . . .

Perhaps more people are human time bombs than we imagine.

Good point ild have never put that scripture with hypnosis before.

A few years a go i watched a program about false memory syndrome where people have it suggested that they could have been abused then they actually start to believe it and remember bits of it when it didn't really happen. , It could have been 'this morning, where a woman was interviewed and asked a few questions one being did she sleep well the night before. She said yes. Then was hypnotized and whilst under was told she had been woken up several times with a dog barking , horn blasting etc. When woken up asked again did she sleep well she said no she had been kept awake by dog barking horn blowing etc. many people see hypnosis as harmless fun but really its not it can be really harmful.

People under the power of hypnosis can be made to do things that they would never even dream of.

I saw a program where one of the guests who was a well known celebrity hated radish.

Really hated it. But the hypnotist said to her ,while under his influence, that when she sees a

radish she will have a craving for it and will want to eat it desperately . Of course she was brought

out of the trance and the show ended. She was followed by camera out of the studio and ,

naturally, someone was wheeling a cart with various vegetables on it, including a radish.

Without hesitation she picked it up and started taking big bites out of it.

Asked why she was eating something she hated she really didn't know.

And continued to eat it while being interviewed.

This could be passed off just as a contrived situation + plus good acting but I really don't think so.

How this can be related to all the terrible crimes we see in the world I don't know but it wouldn't

surprise me to find out that a lot of the suicide bombings and other terrible acts of terrorism have

been carried out by people under the influence of a hypnotist.

Brings to mind the scripture (Deuteronomy 18:11) . . .one who binds others with a spell . . .

Perhaps more people are human time bombs than we imagine.

The only place you can find perfection , is in the dictionary.

James Braid —adopted the term hypnotism in 1841.

According to his writings, Braid began to hear reports concerning the practices of various Oriental meditation techniques immediately after the publication of his major book on hypnotism, Neurypnology (1843). Braid first discusses hypnotism's historical precursors in a series of articles entitled Magic, Mesmerism, Hypnotism, etc., Historically & Physiologically Considered. He draws analogies between his own practice of hypnotism and various forms of Hindu yoga meditation and other ancient spiritual practices. Braid’s interest in meditation really developed when he was introduced to the Dabistān-i Mazāhib, the “School of Religions”, an ancient Persian text describing a wide variety of Oriental religious practices.

It has been argued that no person can be hypnotized if they do not want to be.

Not sure I agree with this statement but I do think that if we put ourselves in certain situations, we are at risk. Notice the references to religious practices.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

If anything along the lines of hypnosis comes on the TV I always quickly turn it off or over... I never know if its influence could come through the TV at me !!:P

:thumbsup: I do the same .... you can't be too careful!

Same here.:headphones:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Reminds me of a time when I was younger. Cleaning a theater. Well one week we had the greatest hypnotist ever, Max the Magificent. Well, we sold out first night. I was there for the show. He pulled out a pocketwatch, and explained to the audience that it was in his family for over 7 generations. You can hear the Ohh's and Ahh's from the crowd. He dangled in and invited the audience to relax... follow the watch... He started swaying it back, and forth... back and forth.... I looked away since I didn't want to get caught up. I had to be there in case there was a mess. Anyways, I looked at the audience and they were all under the trance. Heads bobbing back n forth... Eyes gazed... Then all of a sudden.............

BLOOP!!! The watch slipped from his hand, and slammed into the ground... Shattering into a million pieces... The look on his face was utter fear!!!!

He screamed, "CRAP!!!!!"

Wouldn't you know... It took me 3 days to get all the seats cleaned. Sheesh...........