JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Best Laptop for Zoom

I use a surface go connected to a second monitor and I'm a co-host (8gb RAM version)

Works perfectly and is my device for everything - 10 inch tablet for meetings and home pc

it doesn't even have an i3 processor and works just fine, so don't worry to get an it processor - You surely don't need it unless you want to play high resources games, or do demanding graphics work, like editing 4K videos... otherwise its just marketing talk - (I made al lthe congregation territory cards and even the wall map with photoshop and my surface go. But if you search on the internet you'll read that it only serves for browsing the net and mild Microsoft office work

The microsoft Go shows up to 25 connections per screen and I can see at the same time the participants list and the speaker view. To change screens I just press PgUp or PgDn (usually a total of 3 screens)

To mute and unmute participants I use the search bar to look up the names which is even faster than looking at the raised hands. Besides half of our congregation members don't know how to raise hands electronically (no matter how many times we explain it - Its a feat to have them connected to the meeting with video and sound)

Also I use the 2nd screen to share videos and images which are already prepared beforehand 

Works in top performance 😉

image.png.9665d8e8082132203d8e53fd8e4e9d55.png 

On 5/17/2020 at 11:56 PM, DarinS said:

Naith - your basically talking resolution.....

many watch it on TV and separate computer screens....

but as a side note - it is less productive to try and view 49 individual scenes in the GALLERY view

the better practice would be to use the raise hand feature - on the main screen and/or participant window

(that is ZOOM recommendations and some from the branch also - we have some letters)

we have 70-80 connections every mtg - the AV attendant can move left or right and see the individual attendees

The brother with the part doesn’t need to worry about seeing screens tho - he reminds friends to raise hands electronically

even the older ones get a hang of it — we have seen an increase in comments from those more reserved in the past

the raise hand feature moves that name to the top of the participant list and you can call on them...also helps AV Attendant mute/unmute them...if necessary......

as he does not need to look for them at all

We only have around 40 connected at any one meeting so I'm able to see everyone on the one screen. We don't ask a brother to monitor and then unmute/mute those commenting - these brothers can't really concentrate on the spiritual food if they have to do that all the time. We simply ask the congregation to wave their hand in front of their cameras and then unmute/mute themselves again. It works perfectly fine. Everyone knows the drill now 🙂

On 5/16/2020 at 7:25 AM, carlos said:

Now if your son is the one who starts the meeting, then a bit more power is needed. Make sure the laptop has an i5 processor at least. (i7 is better but hard to find in a $500 laptop unless it's reaconditioned, which is a great option too.) There are plenty of options for that price with an i5 processor and 8 GB RAM. The rest is irrelevant. :)

I don't know why that would make a difference. I start our meetings every time and I am running an old 7 year old i5. I also play the songs and videos. 

On 5/16/2020 at 7:25 AM, carlos said:

Make sure the laptop has an i5 processor at least. 

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

I don't know why that would make a difference... I am running an old 7 year old i5

Looks to me like you're both in agreement 😉

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

My real point was whether stating the meeting or not doesn't make a difference. The person starting the meeting is responsible for starting the meeting and assigning the co hosts. The A/V brother may want something better so that he can can have a second screen dedicated to the songs and videos. But you can start a meeting from pretty much anything.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

My real point was whether stating the meeting or not doesn't make a difference. The person starting the meeting is responsible for starting the meeting and assigning the co hosts. The A/V brother may want something better so that he can can have a second screen dedicated to the songs and videos. But you can start a meeting from pretty much anything.

We have noticed that voice and image are more fluid when the computer performs better. Also, when playing videos (such as the songs) from a less powerful computer had lags and interruptions. Maybe it was just that computer.

My Son-in-law will be doing the A/V so we connected to one of my Zoom Meetings so he could practice.

He has decided to have his camera OFF while screen sharing so he does not have problems with bandwidth ... seems to work quite well that way

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 hours ago, carlos said:

We have noticed that voice and image are more fluid when the computer performs better. Also, when playing videos (such as the songs) from a less powerful computer had lags and interruptions. Maybe it was just that computer.

True. It could also be the internet connection.