JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom Accounts - VOIP

Hi  there. Just wondering please  .. our congregation is connected through a brother's account that is a full membership account ... yet there is always a brother there who is our VOIP - (Voice over IP) why do you need VOIPs and exaclty what do they do? I looked it up but I need it in simplier terms please. Thanks.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I don't understand the question, Mandi.

VOIP means a telephone call using the internet rather than using the traditional lines. That's what many apps like WhatsApp do.

But I think you refer to something else, like a responsibility a brother has. Maybe there is a VOIP account enabled so that those who cannot use Zoom can join the meeting by phone?

I don't know what I mean either hence the thread - but each meeting we have a brother from the other side and instead of his name - he's title the VOIP connection ... does that mean that he's some kind of bridge for the other congregation so they can have the whole meeting instead of just 40 minutes? That's the only thing I can think of .. and the only reason I'm asking is I'm trying to understand the technicalities not just to do with zoom but other programs as well.

Like we couldn't both have the meeting on Tuesday when the other congregation had the CO this week we moved to the Wednesday ... and I said how come we couldn't just both have our meetings on the same nights? And someone said becuase of the VOIP connection. So yeah ... little confused.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

14 minutes ago, Old said:

My understanding the VOiP connection allows dial-up, a person or persons can to listen to the zoom meeting over a phone connection. We have couple at every meeting.

Aahhh so when you have the option of joining with audio or dial-up if you choose dial-up you are going through the brother who is the VOIP connection?

17 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Hi  there. Just wondering please  .. our congregation is connected through a brother's account that is a full membership account ... yet there is always a brother there who is our VOIP - (Voice over IP) why do you need VOIPs and exaclty what do they do? I looked it up but I need it in simplier terms please. Thanks.

VOIP ...Very Organised Incredible Person. LOL :lol1:I thought you knew?

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 6/6/2020 at 11:58 PM, Stormswift said:

Aahhh so when you have the option of joining with audio or dial-up if you choose dial-up you are going through the brother who is the VOIP connection?

Mandi, as I understand it, the VOIP connection is not a brother. It's the mechanism that allows those who cannot use Zoom to join by phone. The VOIP brother then should be a brother that uses that system instead of Zoom. What it's difficult to say for sure without being there. Maybe your elders appointed someone to take care of that and called him the VOIP brother. :) It's not a standard thing.

It means that a person is “connecting to the mtg”

with the Zoom phone app

VoIP = voice over IP = using the phone over a internet ‘wireless’ connection

folks who cancel their home phone often use a VoIP service ... like Vonage, Zoom, Jive, Skype or 100 others.

if some use one of the regular zoom apps ... they can choose video or audio......

that’s when we sometimes see a phone icon or phone number only.....

I use Magic Jack voip for main phone and have for about 12 years. Best part is that there is a dongle connection to router to regularphone and can have app on tablet and cell phone. One can answer if it rings yet if another call comes in it rings on the others and can answer like a multiline phone. Can call out same way.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: