JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Technological singularity point in the far future.

So the definition is The technological singularity—also, simply, the singularity[1]—is a hypothetical point in time at which technological growth becomes uncontrollable and irreversible, resulting in unforeseeable changes to human civilization.

Many people relate this to AI, like how AI technology becomes smarter than the entire mankind in the terminator film series. 

I want to apply this theory differently in this post, though, (although you can discuss the technological singularity too) 

and what I want to talk about for fun is a time period in the far future when we will never know what’s going on.

For example, now I know through books and the Bible what has been happening throughout history...

I can draw an outline and know (probably not understand) all the scientific or historic progresses that men have made.

In the far future though, maybe 1,000,000 years later,

I’ll never be able to figure out what’s happening in the entire universe.

I could bump into someone from another planet who uses a completely different set of scientific skills, with a completely different set of memories

from his world’s history, a completely different civilization etc.

I’ll never know all the genres of music, film or game being created in the entire universe.

And the number and amount of such stuff will indefinitely, exponentially grow in the speed I’ll never be able to catch.

So will the number of people that will be born and the speed of those people being born.

At one point in the future,  such growth will be so fast and so gigantic that no living person will ever truly understand what’s going on.

Not that I’m worried, though. I’m excited. 

Edited by Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual

1 hour ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

In the far future though, maybe 1,000,000 years later,

I’ll never be able to figure out what’s happening in the entire universe.

I could bump into someone from another planet who uses a completely different set of scientific skills, with a completely different set of memories

from his world’s history, a completely different civilization etc.

Easy... we call Doctor Who or Q from Star Trek to coordinate meeting LOL :whistling:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

wow I don’t know why

Suddenly I don’t quite get what everlasting life really means..

It’s too huge and powerful. 

If we think infinite future is hard to comprehend, then how about infinite past? Only Jehovah possess it. So, it has to be mind boggling for those in the heavens and of course for us too.

Let's add another idea:

You decide you want to travel....a lot. You want to be an explorer of the new frontier, go to the farthest geographical edge of the universe we can possibly travel. (Let's assume there is no time travel) So you do this for several hundred years... after a while you decide you've traveled enough.  You decide to go back home,  to Earth.... but now to travel back will take you several hundred years. By the time you get back to Earth, EVERYTHING will be different: including the people, friends, families grown, moved out, etc... and, the place you're leaving (the farthest edge of the explored universe) if you leave,  by the time you ever get back,  it will also be totally changed.  Now I just heard something about how family and friends help give you an anchor,  a reference point,  a sense of belonging and community.  You would have to forego all that to travel that far in the universe,  because,  who would want to go with you on such a long trip,  spanning hundreds of years? Let's say you do find a spouse that agrees to pursue this adventure. What if they change their mind after 5 years? They don't want to say goodbye for such a long time to family/friends....

I guess I'm just trying to say that I don't see how any one person or small group of people could actually stick to this goal for a significant extended period of time...it would be very lonely?...in the Wild West, people dared to risk  living in harsh conditions out of need or greed, but that won't be the case in Paradise.

So to explorers out there,  what are your thoughts?

7 minutes ago, M.J. said:

So to explorers out there,  what are your thoughts?

I think if there is ever going to be any kind of human space travel,

first there has to be some sort of fast travel system.. like warping? 

Now travelling faster than light isn't possible but no one knows what could happen with God's help. 

14 minutes ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

I think if there is ever going to be any kind of human space travel,

first there has to be some sort of fast travel system.. like warping? 

Now travelling faster than light isn't possible but no one knows what could happen with God's help. 

Yes, but even with warp speed, or whatever,  however long it takes you to get somewhere,  is the same amount of time it will take you to get back. So the same problem I described above still exists.

6 minutes ago, M.J. said:

Yes, but even with warp speed, or whatever,  however long it takes you to get somewhere,  is the same amount of time it will take you to get back. So the same problem I described above still exists.

What if at some point people could be dematerialized and travel to another galaxy within a second? 

7 hours ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

What if at some point people could be dematerialized and travel to another galaxy within a second? 

Dematerialization applies to the physical body,  but what about your "spirit" of life,  given by Jehovah?

That's why I don't believe in that,  unless Jehovah is actually the one doing it.