JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1369 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I found it quite hilarious that after all the accusations of ‘fake news’ being thrown at reputable news agencies, Fox News was forced to acknowledge its own fake news.

A picture of burning buildings and a burning car in St Paul, Minnesota, used with a headline 8mplying that it was in Seattle among the ‘anarchists’, and a photoshopped image of a man armed with an automatic weapon added to images of the largely peaceful protest in Seattle.

Fox News forced to apologise and remove the images!

The “fake news” claims seem to be just an attack to get people to question “truth”.

Many of the stories deemed “fake” have been proven true.

I am happy to see how the Slave has been treating the pandemic - not “fake”, but real. It has reminded me to do the same.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-lives-matter-protesters-seattle-chaz-hijacked-message

Editor’s Note: A FoxNews.com home page photo collage which originally accompanied this story included multiple scenes from Seattle’s “Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone” and of wreckage following recent riots. The collage did not clearly delineate between these images, and has since been replaced. In addition, a recent slideshow depicting scenes from Seattle mistakenly included a picture from St. Paul, Minnesota. Fox News regrets these errors.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

2 hours ago, trottigy said:

The “fake news” claims seem to be just an attack to get people to question “truth”.

Thanks for the link and quotation.

So yeah, not so much fake news as a simple mistake.  

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

2 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

If you say so. Ok, I can’t find it now, but I saw Three photos of different scenes in Seattle with the same armed ‘guard’ photoshopped onto each one.

Once may be a mistake, three times I don’t think so.

Ah. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/13/media/seattle-fox-news-autonomous-zone-protest/index.html?utm_term=1592182689906cae5e767e3b8&utm_source=Meanwhile+in+America+June+15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=216006_1592182689907&bt_ee=yP0HeEDglfsYBvd%2Fsn0Vw56z6sMCJD02a5Zx%2FeQY7KTg0ZB6OuDtURHXtK7asQ%2FI&bt_ts=1592182689907

Edited by bohemian

Ah, interesting. I don't see the point in using any photoshopped images. Fox is calling it a collage.

Their reporting is fairly accurate though. I watched the Seattle riots for several nights via a few Facebook users who lived on the street where the stand off was happening. Those protestors moved beyond the barricade and got up in the cops/national guards faces and started throwing things at them despite several loudspeaker announcements from the police expressing their desire to keep things peaceful and to step back. Eventually they had to unload the tear gas and rubber bullets, and deservedly so.

I haven't paid attention in the last week (busy working), so I don't know much about this autonomous zone and was surprised that the protests were still taking place. It does seem things have simmered down to a peaceful level, but the way they treated these officers responding to a 911 call about a young man being shot is pretty sickening....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/20/us/seattle-capitol-hill-chop-chaz-shooting/index.html

and...

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

18 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

15 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Ah, interesting. I don't see the point in using any photoshopped images. Fox is calling it a collage.

There is no point in using a photoshopped image.  The digitally altered image is much more than just a collage.  Fox News was also accused of inserting protest photos from other locations and claiming they were all from the same place (Seattle, I think).  

From the same CNN story linked above:

Among the photos that Fox News published on its homepage was one that showed a protester running past a burning vehicle and building with the headline "CRAZY TOWN" blaring across the website. The image, which accompanied a story about the situation in Seattle, was in fact taken from the unrest last month in Minnesota.

So there were multiple errors - including digitally altered photos AND mislabeled or misidentified photos.  I've worked for 4 daily newspapers so I can tell you that these are very rookie mistakes.  Yes, such mistakes do happen and I've been there when such mistakes did happen in the newspaper.  Still, they shouldn't have happened and should have been caught in house instead of by readers. 

On 6/16/2020 at 6:23 AM, bohemian said:

A picture of burning buildings and a burning car in St Paul, Minnesota, used with a headline implying that it was in Seattle among the ‘anarchists’, and a photoshopped image of a man armed with an automatic weapon added to images of the largely peaceful protest in Seattle.

So, if true..... do you think they were trying to make the thugs,  looters, that for a fact have run the police out of their precinct and violently have taken over a part of Seattle, look bad? :lol1:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

You are asking me to divine their motives which I amnot capable of doing - I cannot read hearts.

I am just saying what they did.

Does Fox News have an agenda in printing misleading copy? Or is it only the “mainstream” media that are “biased”?
I don’t know the answers.  

Should one trust a news source which misleads readers?

On 6/26/2020 at 7:18 AM, Pjdriver said:

So, if true..... do you think they were trying to make the thugs,  looters, that for a fact have run the police out of their precinct and violently have taken over a part of Seattle, look bad? :lol1:

🤣

On 6/26/2020 at 9:15 AM, bohemian said:

Should one trust a news source which misleads readers?

You have to dump all of them, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, the whole shebang. I might try to get the sense of an incident by reading from more than one source. When something seems a bit off, like a claim that so-and-so said something, I will try to find a video clip and listen for myself. I hear about Fox getting called out all the time. I've personally seen CNN and a whole host of mainstream media completely twist something Trump said into something he didn't say at all.

For example, I watched a couple people on Facebook livestreaming from their apartment in Seattle near 11th and Pine, and the behavior of the protestors was outright disgusting, from moving past the barricade to getting in the officers faces to throwing bottles and other litter at them and more. For hours, the Seattle police over a loudspeaker would ask for their cooperation. Finally, they put up their shields and unleashed the spray and rubber pellets. If you watched the live stream, which was behind the lines on the side of the protestors, you would have thought "about time - clear these brats off the street". It was not peaceful.