JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Conservative Christians See ‘Seismic Implications’ in Supreme Court Ruling

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1488 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

NY Times:

A ruling that protects the rights of gay and transgender workers could affect how conservative groups operate their own institutions.

Published June 15, 2020

Updated June 16, 2020, 12:27 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — For conservative Christian groups, Monday’s Supreme Court ruling protecting the rights of gay and transgender workers was not only the latest sign that they are losing the American culture wars over sexuality. It also caused widespread concern that it could affect how they operate their own institutions.

Many faith-based organizations, like schools or nonprofits, do not allow L.G.B.T. people to work there, citing religious beliefs that sex should only be between a man and a woman who are married.

Even as more Americans have embraced the cause of gay rights, sexuality remains one of the most divisive issues in Christian communities. This year a group of leaders in the United Methodist Church, which has roughly 7 million members in the United States, announced a plan to formally split the church because of “fundamental differences” over same-sex marriage.

Bishop Cynthia Fierro Harvey, president of the Council of Bishops for the United Methodist Church, said on Monday that she appreciated the Supreme Court’s decision. “We have faithful followers of Jesus who both stand on very opposite interpretations of L.G.B.T.Q. issues,” she said.

Link: Conservative Christians See ‘Seismic Implications’ in Supreme Court Ruling https://nyti.ms/2YGD8Kn

Matt 15:14 "Blind guides is what they are. If, then, a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”

Old (Downunder) Tone

Bishop Cynthia Fierro Harvey, president of the Council of Bishops for the United Methodist Church, said on Monday that she appreciated the Supreme Court’s decision. “We have faithful followers of Jesus who both stand on very opposite interpretations of L.G.B.T.Q. issues,” she said.

I find it fascinating that it’s a female bishop who says this.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

At least at first sight it seems quite a reasonable ruling. Companies cannot discriminate people because of their sexual orientation. I would say it's common sense. If I had a company I would care that my workers are honest and good professionals. I wouldn't care what who they feel sexually attracted to or what they do outside worktime.

This decision won't cause any problem for Jehovah's Witnesses. We don't discriminate people for being homosexual. And our organization doesn't operate business companies either.

Edited by carlos

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 3:33 PM, carlos said:

At least at first sight it seems quite a reasonable ruling. Companies cannot discriminate people because of their sexual orientation. I would say it's common sense. If I had a company I would care that my workers are honest and good professionals. I wouldn't care what who they feel sexually attracted to or what they do outside worktime.

This decision won't cause any problem for Jehovah's Witnesses. We don't discriminate people for being homosexual. And our organization doesn't operate business companies either.

I agree 100%.
But the problem arises if you’re a wedding photographer and you’re asked to do photos at a gay wedding. If you decline, you’re going to labeled homophobic, and perhaps charge with discrimination.  I’m honestly not sure....is that a conscious matter? 

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

The problem isn’t really with this ruling. It is what comes next. With all these Political Action groups everything accomplished is just a step toward he ultimate goal. Total victory as defined by the extinction of all opposition.  Having won this reasonable victory will never be enough.