JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What about the mic?

David, I use Blue Yeti Nano USB Microphone, and i like it. (would buy it again, highly recommend this product)

Down Under it goes for around $158 Aussie donuts (sorry mean dollars LOL ) 

https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc-mac/peripherals/speakers-and-headphones/microphones/blue-microphones-yeti-905163/review

Blue-Yeti-Nano.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I'd say the blue Yeti is overkill for zoom needs

When I made my self the same question, I made a thorough search and listened to lots of reviews of microphones --> The conclusion was that the Blue Yeti was indeed the best choice

But after a couple of meetings I reached the conclusion that I didn't need that and returned to Amazon, bought a lapel one and still got lots of moneys for other things ---> It's not like I was going to make vlogs or interviews or anything for audiences

For the sole purpose of attending zoom meetings I really think this type is the best choice --> You can even have one for you and another for your wife

Note: You don't need to have it so near the mouth - I have mine in the middle of the tie

image.png.0b82a1b2d4ad29a51b59b68d15c2ab55.png

22 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

Note: You don't need to have it so near the mouth - I have mine in the middle of the tie

You can mount Yeti Blue on a tie too.... just looks bit awkward LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

24 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

It's not like I was going to make vlogs or interviews or anything for audiences

I use Yeti for voiceover when video editing. In that regard you can’t beat the quality of voice clarity and masking external noises. 
So my use is not only for zoom. 

35 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

I use Yeti for voiceover when video editing. In that regard you can’t beat the quality of voice clarity and masking external noises. 
So my use is not only for zoom. 

In that case, it's my conclusion also that its the best (but reading again, the one I had was the regular blue yeti and not the nano version - But that one is almost as good)

29 minutes ago, Dages said:

What is your job?

Nothing to do with microphones...LOL 

I run maintenance company for 10 years now, and one wing of the business does also "preventative anti-Covid-19 sanitising" 

I can recommend the Fifine mics. I have a set with a lavalier I use with my laptop for zoom meetings and a crummy 'headset' with a great mic that I hang upside down off of my desktop monitor for other uses. The quality is fairly good on these modern lavaliers. Unfortunately sold out now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08118HN2H/ https://fifinemicrophone.com/collections/lavalier-mic-system/products/fifine-mobile-lavalier-microphone-c1

However, if you can afford it (It's gone up to almost $50), the best value tabletop microphone that I know of at the moment is the Fifine K669(B) with many great youtube reviews.
https://fifinemicrophone.com/products/fifine-usb-microphone-with-volume-control-669

It is the top seller on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/musical-instruments/11974651/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_musical-instruments

I have the #3 top seller, which also used to be cheaper. THIS IS GARBAGE AND I HATE IT AND REGRET IT. https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Omnidirectional-Condenser-indicator-compatible/dp/B0779PKLV9/

TL;DR Get a lavalier or a proper standing condenser.

Edited by Myew

5 hours ago, Myew said:

I can recommend the Fifine mics. I have a set with a lavalier I use with my laptop for zoom meetings and a crummy 'headset' with a great mic that I hang upside down off of my desktop monitor for other uses. The quality is fairly good on these modern lavaliers. Unfortunately sold out now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08118HN2H/ https://fifinemicrophone.com/collections/lavalier-mic-system/products/fifine-mobile-lavalier-microphone-c1

I'll be on the look out for this one. It'll probably be back in stock eventually. I have thought of getting one but wasn't sure which one to get. It's important to have good microphone audio, especially if you're handling a meeting part. Thanks!

12 hours ago, TylerD said:

I'll be on the look out for this one.

They also have one with a USB Sound Card in stock. https://fifinemicrophone.com/collections/lavalier-mic-system/products/lavalier-microphone-for-pc-recording-k053 https://www.amazon.com/Lavalier-Microphone-Cardioid-Condenser-Computer/dp/B077VNGVL2

Aside from the branding, there is probably not much difference between these and one that you can buy for cheaper. I just know the Fifine ones are a good value for me.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Portable-Professional-Grade-Lavalier-Microphone-3-5mm-Jack-Hands-free-Omnidirectional-Mic-Easy-Clip-on-Perfect-for-Recording-Live/786315675

Oh, one thing you want to make sure of if you're using a mic that uses a TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) analog jack, if you plug them into the headset port on a laptop or phone, you may not get audio out of the speakers... on my laptop I have the TRRS mic plugged into the 3.5mm port, but because it registers as a headset I don't get audio out of my speakers. So I'm also using a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for my headphones, or I can use the audio output from my HDTV, but not my laptop's onboard speakers because it tries to route it through the headset port. There's a plethora of headset splitters/TRRS to TRS/etc adapters, I ordered one that I hope will work so I don't have to use the USB C port if I can avoid it. But that's one good reason to get one with a USB Sound Card if you're only planning to use it with a computer.

Edited by Myew

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 9:54 AM, IliasBosman said:

Hey Guys, love the conversation, i myself currently usa a dual diaphragm condensator mic.

people do tell me in zoom my mic sounds very clearly. :)

i still have to get a stand for it.

and i have used it for some projects too.

Greets, 

Ilias Bosman

20200710_095141.jpg

How do you like the GAP "1073"? I've always wanted to try a Neve style preamp. Once had an ART MPA 2 which was fantastic, I recorded nearly everything through it. Not a Neve kind of sound of course, I thought of it as my poor man's Culture Vulture.

We had a Røde K2 large diaphragm condenser mic for a few years. It was lovely, but had to go eventually. Recently scored a trusty Shure SM58 for $30, can't go wrong with that one! For Zoom I just use the built in mic in my phone, however. But the sound from the meeting is fed through a limiter and EQ to even things out without distorting and to cut some harsh frequencies. One brother in particular has an intense voice combined with a very midrange-forward mic and it's almost painful. Pulling out some 4 kHz helps tame him 😆

I ended up getting a USB Sound Card for my headphones and mic because when using the internal analog jacks on my laptop, my sound volume when screen sharing was too low in Zoom for other people to hear even when it was unbearably loud for me. When using an external card like this one or bluetooth headphones, the shared volume is always at '100%' even if I turn them down lower. This one also has it's own volume dial. Cheaply made, but it functions just fine for my needs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7P0OGI/

On 11/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, Norbro said:

How do you like the GAP "1073"? I've always wanted to try a Neve style preamp. Once had an ART MPA 2 which was fantastic, I recorded nearly everything through it. Not a Neve kind of sound of course, I thought of it as my poor man's Culture Vulture.

We had a Røde K2 large diaphragm condenser mic for a few years. It was lovely, but had to go eventually. Recently scored a trusty Shure SM58 for $30, can't go wrong with that one! For Zoom I just use the built in mic in my phone, however. But the sound from the meeting is fed through a limiter and EQ to even things out without distorting and to cut some harsh frequencies. One brother in particular has an intense voice combined with a very midrange-forward mic and it's almost painful. Pulling out some 4 kHz helps tame him 😆

i would love to try more variations of  the neve kind of style.

Neve preamp itself is the holy grail offcourse.

i have a golden age pre amp now. pre 72jr (Not the Premier)

its an emulation of the neve preamp.

and yes, the sure sm58 is a beast.

MJ Used it to record some of his greatest hits.

Greets,

Your Brother, Ilias Bosman

Edited by IliasBosman

Correction

2 hours ago, Myew said:

I ended up getting a USB Sound Card for my headphones and mic because when using the internal analog jacks on my laptop, my sound volume when screen sharing was too low in Zoom for other people to hear even when it was unbearably loud for me. When using an external card like this one or bluetooth headphones, the shared volume is always at '100%' even if I turn them down lower. This one also has it's own volume dial. Cheaply made, but it functions just fine for my needs. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7P0OGI/

USB microphones are pritty hot too right now.

Quality is very good right now.

Since everybody is doing things from home now.

Quality From Audio Technica is very good, and Rode, Shure.

Very friendly prices for a good quality Condensor mic.

The best would be to get a good audio interface ofcourse.

But simplest solutions is a good usb condesor mic. :)

Greetings, Ilias Bosman

On 11/21/2020 at 11:02 PM, IliasBosman said:

i would love to try more variations of  the neve kind of style.

Neve preamp itself is the holy grail offcourse.

i have a golden age pre amp now. pre 72jr (Not the Premier)

its an emulation of the neve preamp.

and yes, the sure sm58 is a beast.

MJ Used it to record some of his greatest hits.

Greets,

Your Brother, Ilias Bosman

Yes, I was referring to the Pre 73 Jr. in the pic when I asked how you like the GAP 😉 What do you typically record through it - vocals, guitars..? Is it nice to run the input gain hot to get some drive and compensating by turning down the output? I am a huge fan of how saturation brings out harmonics so I'm always experimenting with how my gear sounds when it's being pushed into non-linear territory.

When it comes to mics I'm a bit of a noob, I know of a few studio staples but have little experience in recording acoustic instruments as I'm a keyboard and synthesiser guy. However, since I'm into mixing I once followed an online Q&A with MJ's longtime mixer, Bruce Swedien. Apparently, the lead vocal mic used on Off the Wall, Bad and Thriller was the Shure SM7, which although dynamic like the 58 is a bit (but not that much) fancier. Wouldn't be too surprised if he used a 58 at some point though, many top artists have :) 

These days you can get a Behringer clone of the 57 (and probably 58) for € 30 or maybe less, and it's supposed to be pretty good too!

Now I better get to work. Today I'm making drum sounds and loops. I hired a drummer through Fiverr.com to record a bunch of single drum hits as well as a few grooves for me and deliver them with separate files for each mic used. That way I can get different "drumkits" by mixing the tracks differently.

Have a nice day, and remember to keep that highpass filter turned on to cut out the negative rumble of the world around us. ( 🎤 <--- this looks quite like a 58, by the way! Lol)

• 10 months later...