JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

what'd your favourite flower

surfergirl

There are fields of lovely flowers in spring here and it's hard to pick one, but the daffodil is famous to our area thanks to a local 18th Century poet called William Wordsworth:

99958=5521-ennerdaledaffs.jpg Daffodils grow by most of our lakes in spring. This is Ennerdale - often used to cycle here as it's just outside town, then I got my bike stolen! Ex-President Bill Clinton proposed to Hilary here. Daffodils I wandered lonely as a cloud That floats on high o'er vales and hills, When all at once I saw a crowd, A host, of golden daffodils; Beside the lake, beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. Continuous as the stars that shine And twinkle on the milky way, They stretched in never-ending line Along the margin of a bay: Ten thousand saw I at a glance, Tossing their heads in sprightly dance. The waves beside them danced; but they Out-did the sparkling waves in glee: A poet could not but be gay, In such a jocund company: I gazed--and gazed--but little thought What wealth the show to me had brought: For oft, when on my couch I lie In vacant or in pensive mood, They flash upon that inward eye Which is the bliss of solitude; And then my heart with pleasure fills, And dances with the daffodils. William Wordsworth (lived in Whitehaven and Cockermouth as a child and Grasmere as an adult)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they always grow side by side. I don't like poppys. BUT I have a good explination.

Starting in kindergarten, they told us it was illegal to pick poppys. They said if we did the swat team would come over the hills and surround you and take you to jail. They kept that up until we figured it out in 3rd grade. Meanie-heads.

I like daffodils also. I used to grow the large King Alfreds. [along with Hyacinths & Tulips]

I also love that poem. Esp. the last verse. It is in a couple of my poetry books. [ I also love poetry]

Here on Nantucket every year they have what is called the Daffodil Festival. They grow all over the island,and are beautiful. I went to it once, several yrs. ago. It was fun ! There is a daffodil parade, then touring & sightseeing.