JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pope Francis Condems Brexit

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1336 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/636585/POPE-against-Brexit-Francis-wants-Britain-to-STAY-in-EU

POPE Francis has waded into the debate over whether Britain should sever ties with Brussels, saying he wants the UK to STAY part of Europe.

He told the channel: "The Holy See respects the ultimate decision of the British people - that's for the British electorate to decide. But I think we would see it as being something that is not going to make a stronger Europe."

When pressed, he concluded that the Catholic Church's view would be "better in than out". The move puts the Vatican in an unlikely alliance with the investment bankers of Goldman Sachs

Responding to the Vatican position, a spokesman for Leave EU said even Catholics would find the statement distasteful. He said: "I expect the British people will completely ignore and forget the Vatican Foreign Secretary's confessional. What on earth has EU membership got to do with the Roman Catholic church as a faith or the Vatican as a City state? His intervention will not influence a single vote, indeed it might be counterproductive and convince some that Church and state are best kept separated and there are times when the Vatican would be better keeping its counsel to itself."

Looks like the Pope is trying to keep the church in good policitcal standing and to be in good with the banks. But it's backfiring as people are telling the chuch to keep out of political affairs.

The Church of England cardinals have also involved themselves, trying to tell the government what to do. 

And just a few days ago here in New Zealand we had an election, and driving past the Baptist Church I saw it was a voting station. The churches are in it up to their arm pits! 

1 hour ago, Tbs77 said:

Hmm...that article in that link is from 2016...emoji848.pngemoji6.png

Oh so it is! My mistake. However, there was a very recent drama with the Pope over the same thing and it was on our local tv news.

(Edit) AH, here it is!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8853329/Boris-Johnson-set-war-UKs-five-Church-leaders-Brexit.html

It's not the pope, it's the Archbishop and several other church leaders. Sorry for the confusion, my mom told me it was the pope (as she's not in the "lingo" of what the difference is between them all, and just calls them all "popes", it makes things very confusing for me at times. 😄)

In an extraordinary intervention, the UK's five Anglican archbishops warned that controversial legislation would set a 'disastrous precedent' and undermine Britain's standing in the world.

The intervention sparked a furious backlash from Tory MPs last night. Former Brexit minister David Jones said the comments 'betray a lack of understanding of the issues involved'. He added: 'This is way beyond the remit of the Church. It is a straightforward question of constitutional propriety.

Fellow Tory Andrew Percy said: "'These unelected bishops have no legitimacy. We shouldn't be mixing politics and religion. 'This is not the first time that during the Brexit debate the bishops have interfered in what was a democratic vote of millions of people. They have no right undermining a democratic vote of millions of people. We don't need politics from the pulpit"

So, almost the same word for word, just a different part of Christendom. (Mods can alter this thread if they like to be updated with the actual recent content and appropriate article).

Edited by EccentricM