JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

All Creatures Great & Small

I see that Masterpiece Theatre is resurrecting the series based on Yorkshire veterinarian James Herriot with a new cast of actors.

It's going to be broadcast on PBS  beginning January 10.

James Herriot (nom de plume) stories are the BEST. I couldn't put them down. Looking forward to this remake of the 1970's series.

Edited by Doug

Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

So , tonight was the first show here in the US.

LOVED IT  !!!

I'm sure it helps that I read the books.  I recognize the stories.

Very well acted.  They probably are using locals to play the farmers.

The scenery is gorgeous !  Mossy dry-stone walls .

I understood about 75% of the dialogue. Yorkshire and all.

If anyone is looking for good family entertainment, this is it.

Been there, done that. I prefer to watch it on TV. 

At the time the book became popular in this country I was working on a ranch and we had 150 1st year, pregnancy tested, heifers. The price is cheap for 1st year heifers because the bone structure of the animal is in many cases too undeveloped to birth without outside help.*

Many an hour I spent with my arm up to my shoulder trying to turn an unborn calf. I did not know the trick of getting a cord around the muzzle.  (I learn something new every day.) This show is very realistic except for the bed of straw and how clean his face was. The cows system does not totally stop function just because there is a face in her butt. In reality when I had to to pull a calf it was mud and manure and rain, sometimes snow. It was a tough winter, we did six cesareans, lost three cows and many calves. Many gory details I won't share here. I changed vocations when summer finally came around. The only redeeming feature of that job was the newborn calves are cute beyond belief.

*  At the time you could buy these heifers for around half of what pregnancy tested full growth cows would cost. My FIL was trying to restart his cattle ranch after it had stood idle for a five year soil bank contract.

:):( :crying: :sick:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

The second episode was awesome as well.

The credits at the end showed that the matriarch Mrs. Pumphrey was played by Dame Diana Rigg. That was great casting !!!

I payed careful attention to the 'tea protocol '.  So, it's milk first , then tea. Settled then.

17 minutes ago, Doug said:

The second episode was awesome as well.

The credits at the end showed that the matriarch Mrs. Pumphrey was played by Dame Diana Rigg. That was great casting !!!

Her last performance and what a job she did.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

7 hours ago, Doug said:

I payed careful attention to the 'tea protocol '.  So, it's milk first , then tea. Settled then.

Only if you brew the tea in a pot :tea:  Otherwise, milk is last.

Apart from the "christmassy bits" the christmas special is one to watch.  I won't spoil it.