JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Chromebook for Zoom?

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

Br. Greg, can i ask what size screen on her tablet?

It's a regular one 10.2 inch (not pro) 

I did not count exactly but she could see between 12-16 windows. 

I was logged in on another device ...trusty windows desktop. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 3 years later...

I just bought a Lenovo Chromebook today.  I'm not in love with the Zoom action, although I may not be clear exactly how it works as compared to Windows.  If I can't get things sorted, I will bring this device back to Best Buy.  I need Zoom to work correctly, i.e. Settings are not the same.  I don't think I like the camera, either.

I'll give more details tomorrow... I'm tired.  But if anyone has any positive experiences or fixed negative ones and can share, I'd greatly appreciate it! ❤️ 

The main thing in regards to having the most amount of participants on the screen is based on your devices display configuration.

A Windows laptop with 15" screen in 720 resolution (HD) with show 25 participants, and 1080 resolution (FHD) or higher, it will show 49 participants. Depending on your laptop, if you have a high end graphics card which allow you to connect an external 1080 (FHD) monitor and set it as your main display, it will allow you to have 49 participants, even though if your laptop monitor has only HD (720) display.

However, tablets/chromebooks are limited even more-so. Mainly, they will only show 4 participants, but I haven't seen what my wife's Samsung Tab S7+ 12" shows on Zoom if she is at home logging into the meeting, as I am usually at the meeting myself. However I know her very old 2014 model Samsung 12" Tab Pro only showed 4. But the functionality of Zoom is vastly different as well. If you need to be the host/co-host/attendant, you will need to have a Windows/Mac device.

Edited by Pabo

11 hours ago, Hope said:

I just bought a Lenovo Chromebook today.  I'm not in love with the Zoom action, although I may not be clear exactly how it works as compared to Windows.  If I can't get things sorted, I will bring this device back to Best Buy.  I need Zoom to work correctly, i.e. Settings are not the same.  I don't think I like the camera, either.

I'll give more details tomorrow... I'm tired.  But if anyone has any positive experiences or fixed negative ones and can share, I'd greatly appreciate it! ❤️ 

I can no longer recommend Chromebooks for Zoom as they have not kept up with the development of Zoom for Chromebooks. At some point the Chrome version of the app stopped working and they don't let you use the Android version anymore either, so you're limited to the Progressive Web App or a convoluted process to log in to the website each time. I'd noticed a few things not working on my Mom's and they have a few features missing compared to Windows. I wasn't able to fix it and ended up giving her my laptop.