JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Television after 90 years

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1135 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

During my research into the Watchtower Society's use of radio in the early 20th century, I came across this article in the May 1931 Golden Age (now Awake) magazine.  It shows our coverage of an experimental communication system.  We were already using radio in the ministry (WBBR station was owned and operated by us).  There had been an experimental transmission of Herbert Hoover by American engineers in 1929.  We have an article less than 2 years later.

The Awake magazine of August 8, 1948 (on page 24) has an article on the "educational use" of television in the medical field. If we remember that television did not become a commercial reality until about 1950, you can see that we were on the "cutting edge" of technical reporting.  From May 1031 to April 2021 is almost exactly 90 years.

Does anyone have any experiences with the technical use of radio or TV in their Bible study or their ministry?

telv1.JPG

telev1.JPG

tele2.JPG

Edited by jwhess

If we are going to count the "internal ministry" I can offer this:

I was on the ground floor in using the TV at the Conventions in modern times. For a number of years before we used the "big screens" at the summer Conventions we were using remote controlled cameras on set up on tripods at the front of the floor seating to send the program "live" to the various departments in the facility. Prior to this, only the sound was sent to the departments.

We did this for several years (with the permission of the Branch - although it was a local idea and effort) developing what worked well and what needed improvement - like how to frame the speaker, how to cover demonstrations, how to use two cameras for interviews and the like.

When the Branch decided to use a similar setup at the Convention they used much better cameras, video equipment and much, much larger screens (we never had any screens in the auditorium). They did adopt many of the parameters for framing, focus, angles and details we had worked out.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I remember being in the sound deptartment operating the TV cameras under specific procedures. Where the recordings went I have no idea, I guess it was just practice.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.