JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to create easy reading files for video subtitles

Hello

I wanted to make my own transcriptions in Portuguese and it was not easy to find out how to do it or even how to grab the subtitle files. Very dispersed information on several different topics

So I decided to make clear instructions to everyone so that it can be done in any language - At least the hardest parts. What remains to be made is just a time consuming but easy task, which is formating heading and adding a table of contents >> I'm working to expand the tool below to do this additional tasks at a future moment

Intructions on how to grab the subtitles (Please note that not every language will have a subtitle file)

1 - Go to the video page. the one where you can start watching the video online

Ex: Online Video Library | JW.ORG Videos English

2 - Press the F12 key on the PC keyboard (tested on chrome and Edge)

The screen will be divided with a tab on the right and will look like this:

image.thumb.png.5da921f21ce003aaff1cca5a7593adc9.png

3 - Press on the option "Network" or similar, that is found on the upper band of options shown bellow:

image.png.3ef0d8e19486e445225c1b19936f4a32.png

4- Check that here it is selected "ALL"

image.png.663ea8675b8c2018565c9a6694ae44c4.png

5 - Press play on the vídeo

6 - Press on the subtitles button and select 720p (it may work on other resolutions but for me I had to select 720p)

image.png.44564ce6067b17b080a9c1eea869006a.png

7 - Wait till the brother starts to speak and keep looking to the right pane on the list of files that is showing. Eventually it will show a file with a "vtt" extension

image.png.bde8123b5f9ee9a5801c4cde3d771843.png

8 - Click on that file with the right mouse button and choose the appropriate option to open in a new tab

image.png.76192bb23c93bcdba7a1b28a353b9840.png

9 - The process is over and the subtitle in "vtt" format is ready

Now, to the process of cleaning up the vtt file for easy reading (first stage already cleaned but not formatted)

Just execute the attached word document (you must allow macros to execute. You can trust its safe because I made it myself)

Instruction on the word doc:

1 - Select the vtt file

2 - Select the destination word file

3 - Wait for a couple of minutes for the process to complete

Vtt cleanup.docm

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Olá

Eu queria fazer minhas próprias transcrições em português e não foi fácil descobrir como fazer e nem mesmo como pegar os arquivos de legendas. Informações muito dispersas em vários tópicos diferentes

Por isso decidi dar instruções claras a todos para que possa ser feito em qualquer idioma - pelo menos nas partes mais difíceis. O que resta a ser feito é apenas uma tarefa demorada, mas fácil, que é formatar o título e adicionar um índice >> Estou trabalhando para expandir a ferramenta abaixo para fazer essas tarefas adicionais em um momento futuro

Instruções sobre como obter as legendas (observe que nem todos os idiomas terão um arquivo de legendas)

1 - Vá para a página do vídeo. aquele onde você pode começar a assistir o vídeo online

Ex:  Biblioteca de Vídeo Online | JW.ORG Vídeos Inglês

2 - Pressione a tecla F12 no teclado do PC (testado no Chrome e Edge)

A tela será dividida com uma guia à direita e terá a seguinte aparência:

image.thumb.png.5da921f21ce003aaff1cca5a7593adc9.png

3 - Clique na opção “Rede” ou similar, que se encontra na faixa superior das opções abaixo:

image.png.3ef0d8e19486e445225c1b19936f4a32.png

4- Verifique se aqui está selecionado "TODOS"

image.png.663ea8675b8c2018565c9a6694ae44c4.png

5 - Pressione play no vídeo

6 - Pressione o botão de legendas e selecione 720p (pode funcionar em outras resoluções, mas tive que selecionar 720p)

image.png.44564ce6067b17b080a9c1eea869006a.png

7 - Espere até que o irmão comece a falar e continue olhando para o painel direito na lista de arquivos que está aparecendo. Eventualmente, ele mostrará um arquivo com uma extensão "vtt"

image.png.bde8123b5f9ee9a5801c4cde3d771843.png

8 - Clique naquele arquivo com o botão direito do mouse e escolha a opção apropriada para abrir em uma nova aba

image.png.76192bb23c93bcdba7a1b28a353b9840.png

9 - O processo acabou e a legenda em formato "vtt" está pronta

Here the F12 key doesn't open so I can access the tool with the Ctrl+Shift+I keys 

the end is the capital letter "i" ...

I followed step by step more, I'm trying to find the vtt file

7 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Now, to the process of cleaning up the vtt file for easy reading (first stage already cleaned but not formatted)

Just execute the attached word document (you must allow macros to execute. You can trust its safe because I made it myself)

Instruction on the word doc:

1 - Select the vtt file

2 - Select the destination word file

3 - Wait for a couple of minutes for the process to complete

Vtt cleanup.docm 21.54 kB · 5 downloads

This is the Result I don't really have the gift of making these transcripts 😕IMG-20210708-WA0011.jpg.2e8820dfc5ce63ed6541368923c40c13.jpg

Here's how to use subtitle edit on a .MP4 file containing the subtitles or a .VTT file:

Assuming subtitleedit has been installed on your windows 10 PC.

Right-click the .mp4 or .vtt file, and select open with SubTitleEdit.

SubTitleEdit-3.JPG.275820939a0d65908c37a6159aa015d3.JPG

Select File/Export/Plain Text

SubTitleEdit-2.thumb.JPG.d9183a3996ebc8325831894113718433.JPG

Select "Merge all lines"

Right-click on the text which will select all the text and copy.
Then paste the text onto any word processor of your choice. e.g. MS word, LibreOffice, googledocs (which I'm using)

SubTitleEdit-1.thumb.JPG.b1113d7556c5aef5004bca2e96ddad74.JPG

8 hours ago, Jonadab said:

This is the Result I don't really have the gift of making these transcripts 😕

You did it correctly, Daniel. That is what is expected.

The only issue I see is that somehow you chose the wrong encoding: The VTT file is UTF-8 but your word processor is treating it as ANSI. You just need to tell your editor or word processor to interpret the text as UTF-8 and it will display the accented characters correctly.

William has explained how to process that file to something more readable. :)

12 hours ago, Jonadab said:

This is the Result I don't really have the gift of making these transcripts 😕IMG-20210708-WA0011.jpg.2e8820dfc5ce63ed6541368923c40c13.jpg

Did you use the word file I attached?

just execute it and select the vtt file

3 hours ago, carlos said:

You did it correctly, Daniel. That is what is expected.

The only issue I see is that somehow you chose the wrong encoding: The VTT file is UTF-8 but your word processor is treating it as ANSI. You just need to tell your editor or word processor to interpret the text as UTF-8 and it will display the accented characters correctly.

William has explained how to process that file to something more readable. :)

the word file I attached converts the vtt file with the correct enconding

I just made a macro because I can´t install aditional software on my work pc and couldn't use the subtitle edit program

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 12:34 PM, Saulo said:

If you just want the subtitle text without the timestamp, you can use the JW Broadcasting Video Library Subtitles website, paste the video link and view only the subtitle text.

Man ! That's extremely convenient ! Thanks a lot !

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thank you for the information and links. 
I have a question. How to get subtitles on Mac OS in JW.Library? The video is downloaded into the app. Where and how do I find it please. I have tried unzipping the "JW.Library" package and have not found it. Please can someone advise me.
Thank you Daniel 
(excuse the English this is using a translator)