JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Apple TV + cheap TV for JW Broadcasting & Netflix: any suggestions?

Hi, I recently moved into a new house. We don't watch TV, only videos from internet.

I want to buy Apple TV and install JW Broadcasting app. Do you know any TV (50-60") that is reasonably affordable and doesn't have too much extra features? I'd like to keep things simple: turn it on and have Apple TV screen.

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Is there a particular reason it must be "Apple TV"?

The "ROKU TV" is fairly common and low priced. ROKU has JW Broadcasting as well as Netflix and their own free movie channel.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

The "ROKU TV" is fairly common and low priced.

I have Roku on 3 tv's ( not smart tv's ) but my friend just bought a smart tv and likes it, some Rokus are slower than others, as far as loading, but they work well as I have a very fast internet so I could run Zoom better. Even if you bought a non smart tv and added a separate Roku or Apple it might be cheaper to do so. I think the better buys are on a 50" over anything bigger, it's what the 32 " tv's were of a bygone era! I remember when a 26" was a "big tv "

Television Tuning GIF

6 hours ago, Michał said:

Hi, I recently moved into a new house. We don't watch TV, only videos from internet.

I want to buy Apple TV and install JW Broadcasting app. Do you know any TV (50-60") that is reasonably affordable and doesn't have too much extra features? I'd like to keep things simple: turn it on and have Apple TV screen.

I don't hear from any of our European friends here. I imagine the market is much different than in the US.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

Is there a particular reason it must be "Apple TV"?

Well, 2 things: I had an old Apple TV (without the possibility to install apps) and it worked very well (fast seamless). We have iPhones, and Macs at home so it’s our first choice. 

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

The "ROKU TV" is fairly common and low priced. ROKU has JW Broadcasting as well as Netflix and their own free movie channel.

I first heard about it from jw.org and was a bit excited about it but it’s available in Europe only in UK and France 🙁 I could buy it on Ebay but I’m not sure if it’ll work well in my country. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:

I have Roku on 3 tv's ( not smart tv's ) but my friend just bought a smart tv and likes it, some Rokus are slower than others, as far as loading, but they work well as I have a very fast internet so I could run Zoom better. Even if you bought a non smart tv and added a separate Roku or Apple it might be cheaper to do so. I think the better buys are on a 50" over anything bigger, it's what the 32 " tv's were of a bygone era! I remember when a 26" was a "big tv "

Yeah, I thought about buying just computer screen but the prices aren’t really cheaper than TVs. We used to have 37” TV (well as teenager I did have a 14” 😆) so I was thinking of giving Broadcasting some proper respect but I guess 50” will be okay. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:

Amazon now has their own brand of tv also.

It’s available here, I guess it’s called Amazon Fire stick. Is there a separate app for JW Broadcasting (if you know)? My mum has a smart TV but she can access our videos only by using the website and it’s a pain in the neck to do it using a remote. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

1 hour ago, Michał said:

I guess it’s called Amazon Fire stick.

Amazon makes its own Fire TV models, and they look great

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/amazon-makes-its-own-fire-tv-models-and-they-look-great/ar-AAOhznD

Amazon is producing its own brand of smart TVs with Fire TV built in.

Amazon has created two series of Fire TVs. The Fire TV Omni series are its premium offering, with top 4K Ultra HD displays, far-field hands-free voice control and easy connectivity to smart home devices, like the Amazon Echo devices. The Fire TV 4-series is the more affordable offering, but still offers 4K UHD picture and an Alexa voice remote.

For users looking to buy a Fire TV there’s now a lot of choice for very similar price points though this is clearly the aim. Right now, you can choose between more than 18 models with HD and 4K resolutions, sizes from 24-inch to 65-inch and prices from $170 to $830 (£120-£600)

The Amazon Fire version of JW Broadcasting has several issues and doesn't work very well. I've tried it on a 4k Fire Stick. It's basically been abandoned.
Regarding TVs, I have no idea locally or in your market, sorry. Still using a 2007? Samsung 32" 1080p as a third monitor to my PC.