JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

James Webb Telescope

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

19 hours ago, Eejay said:

I know what you mean, but it doesn't always follow to be fair:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Sandage

Can you give me the gist of it and how it relates to the sentence you quoted?

Your statement regarding the results of the James Webb telescope: "more faith strengthening for us than for the atheists"

My statement in response "but it doesn't always follow to be fair"

As an example, I cited Allan Sandage.

From the 1950s to the time of his death at 84yrs in 2010, Allan Sandage ranked among the world’s most influential and productive astronomers. Some would say that he was the most accomplished astronomer. He was Edwin Hubble's assistant first, then successor. Although an avowed atheist in earlier years, in 1983 he became a "Christian" and subsequently wrote much affirming his belief in God from a scientific perspective. It was what he learned from his studies that led him to conclude “It was my science that drove me to the conclusion that the world is much more complicated than can be explained by science. It is only through the supernatural that I can understand the mystery of existence.”

As some have even suggested renaming the James Webb telescope as the Allan Sandage telescope, I felt there was a connection with the topic. I thought too he was an interesting example of one whose atheism was dispelled and whose faith was (at least) awoken by scientific discovery. 😊

On 1/14/2022 at 4:34 PM, Tortuga said:

Are you suggesting that it's possible that the ungodly may individually spontaneously combust?

18 hours ago, Eejay said:

Your statement regarding the results of the James Webb telescope: "more faith strengthening for us than for the atheists"

My statement in response "but it doesn't always follow to be fair"

As an example, I cited Allan Sandage.

From the 1950s to the time of his death at 84yrs in 2010, Allan Sandage ranked among the world’s most influential and productive astronomers. Some would say that he was the most accomplished astronomer. He was Edwin Hubble's assistant first, then successor. Although an avowed atheist in earlier years, in 1983 he became a "Christian" and subsequently wrote much affirming his belief in God from a scientific perspective. It was what he learned from his studies that led him to conclude “It was my science that drove me to the conclusion that the world is much more complicated than can be explained by science. It is only through the supernatural that I can understand the mystery of existence.”

As some have even suggested renaming the James Webb telescope as the Allan Sandage telescope, I felt there was a connection with the topic. I thought too he was an interesting example of one whose atheism was dispelled and whose faith was (at least) awoken by scientific discovery. 😊

That's a nice experience that I was not aware of!

But when I mentioned faith regarding atheists, I was joking with the idea that they need to have a lot of "faith" (blind faith in reality) in atheism to continue to ignore the evidence for the existence of God

I believe the JWST will give even more evidences of the existence of God which won't help the "faith" of the atheists in continuing to be atheists. :wink:

13 hours ago, Dages said:

We can rename it Jehovah's Wisdom telescope after A-day? :D 

You made me think about what will happen to those men made objects in space... They are a witness to men's habillity and engenuity! But, they will all cese to funtion pretty rapidly in comparison to our new life

11 hours ago, jayrtom said:

"faith" (blind faith in reality) in atheism

I think the word "credulity" is better applied to atheists than the word "faith", especially from the standpoint of the true meaning of the word as expressed by the apostle Paul at Hebrews 11:1.

And on that basis, I too believe that the atheistic stance will be seriously undermined further by the revelations the James Webb telescope will provide.