JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

James Webb Telescope

https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/comparisonWebbVsHubble.html

Webb often gets called the replacement for Hubble, but we prefer to call it a successor. After all, Webb is the scientific successor to Hubble; its science goals were motivated by results from Hubble. Hubble's science pushed us to look to longer wavelengths to "go beyond" what Hubble has already done. In particular, more distant objects are more highly redshifted, and their light is pushed from the UV and optical into the near-infrared. Thus observations of these distant objects (like the first galaxies formed in the Universe, for example) requires an infrared telescope.

image.png.90c747c55d7e5a4902bf697fc28706a8.png

Hubble's visible and infrared views of the Monkey Head Nebula. Credit: NASA and ESA Acknowledgment: the Hubble Heritage Team (STScI/AURA), and J. Hester

Webb will observe primarily in the infrared and will have four science instruments to capture images and spectra of astronomical objects.

James Webb telescope will take us  way back in time. But, how far we do not know. Who knows what was before our universe was created? We know empty space was there before the universe because it need room to expand. 

What is odd, we are only seeing the past. What is happening now in our universe is pure guess. Who is to say that our universe is spitting up to form an another universe?

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, Dages said:

I love space. I can't wait to see the first pictures

A lot of people think of me James Webb as a successor to the Hubble when it comes to sending breathtaking pictures. We all know that it is tuned primarily to see in the infrared. That means that it can see red and orange, but green and blue are out of its range. So the pictures will be incredibly detailed, but not very colorful. 

6 minutes ago, coolbrz731 said:

A lot of people think of me James Webb as a successor to the Hubble when it comes to sending breathtaking pictures. We all know that it is tuned primarily to see in the infrared. That means that it can see red and orange, but green and blue are out of its range. So the pictures will be incredibly detailed, but not very colorful. 

I know but I'm confident people will make it beautiful one way or another

One of the missions of the telescope is to study dark matter and dark energy hoping to see back to the Big Bang.  Dark matter is what holds galaxies from flying apart and dark energy is what makes the universe expand according to their theory's.

See also, Awake #3, 2021

What the Universe Tells Us

The universe is organized. “Galaxies are not randomly splayed out across the sky but instead follow a weblike pattern,” according to an article in Astronomy magazine. How is this possible? Scientists believe that the secret may lie in an invisible material known as dark matter. This dark matter has been called “a kind of unseen scaffolding upon which . . . galaxies, galaxy clusters, and galaxy superclusters . . . are aligned and supported.”

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

4 minutes ago, rocket said:

One of the missions of the telescope is to study dark matter and dark energy hoping to see back to the Big Bang.  Dark matter is what holds galaxies from flying apart and dark energy is what makes the universe expand according to their theory's.

Hmmm...the dark side it is they seek...

Movie GIF by Star Wars

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

If anyone would like to know more about this , it was featured on CBS 60 Minutes recently.   What I remember is the good-looking redhead scientist.

I also remember, now that I'm refocused,  she said what we know of the universe (all that we know) is about 10% of what's out there.  90% to go.

And the difference between the Webb and the Hubble is that there is no possibility of a repair mission for the Webb.  Nothing can go wrong, there is no room for any problems.  Actually,  the one other scientist said they could send orders for the Webb to 'shake itself' if necessary.  Scott Pelley said "You mean like I do when something doesn't work?  Shake it?"

The first images are expected in 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 12:58 PM, Dustparticle said:

Who knows what was before our universe was created?

Nothing!

And the word "before" doesn't apply as time itself was created also "in the beginning"

We know empty space was there before the universe because it need room to expand. 

No, empty space is part of the Universe also

The Universe doesn't expand inside anything or into anything

Imagine a ruber band that stretchs and nothing more exists besides that rubber band... its more or less like that

What is odd, we are only seeing the past. What is happening now in our universe is pure guess. Who is to say that our universe is spitting up to form an another universe?

Yes, we see only the past but we can conjecture what is there now based on what was there 13 billions years ago than 10 than 5 etc....

Basically we can see several stages of the Universe that allows us to predict what is it like now in those places that now are only seen in the past

On 12/25/2021 at 5:35 PM, coolbrz731 said:

Infrared doesn't mean that - red, orange, green and blue are all in the visible range of the spectrum (all the frequencies of the electromagnetic waves)

What it means is that, when a galaxy is "running away" from us it's light is shifted to the red portion of the rainbow (a portion of the full spectrum) - Doppler effect

The oldest galaxies, whish are the focus of the JWST have shifted so much that it's light is no longer in the visible spectrun and so can't be seen by any regular telescope

Saying that the JWST is tunned towards the infrared means that it will detect the frequencies that on that portion of the spectrum, whicjh are the oldest objects, the ones closer to the big bang

We can still see great colorful colors because this shifting can be adjusted and they can "colorize" the photos

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Can we call it the JW telescope?

🤣

I can say that it crossed my mind - I'm confident that what it will discover will be more faith strengthening for us than for the atheists (faith strengthening for them means becoming even more atheists) :wink:

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:
On 11/9/2021 at 7:58 AM, Dustparticle said:

Who knows what was before our universe was created?

Nothing!

And the word "before" doesn't apply as time itself was created also "in the beginning"

Hebrews 3:4 "Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God".

In order the universe (our home) to be created, you need the materials to make it. Just like a house, you need the materials to make a house in order to be one.

Edited by Dustparticle

14 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

Hebrews 3:4 "Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God".

In order the universe (our home) to be created, you need the materials to make it. Just like a house, you need the materials to make a house in order to be one.

The materials used are described in this verse:

Is 40:26

“Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.

14 hours ago, Eejay said:

I know what you mean, but it doesn't always follow to be fair:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Sandage

Can you give me the gist of it and how it relates to the sentence you quoted?

4 hours ago, happiness IS said:

@coolbrz731

Br. Chris, I'm not able to see the video. Error message : This live stream recording is not available.

I think it is not available outside US

Check this ofitial page to track the telescope, from NASA

Where Is Webb? NASA/Webb

Edited by jayrtom