JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do you buy jewelry for your wife?

My wife doesn't wear earings.

She doesn't like bracelets of any kind and she doesn't wear rings.

She has claustrophobia and all of these things make her feel confined or something.

She does however wear a practical piece of jewelry -- - a pendant watch - - and only if

she can lift it over her head without undoing a clasp.

In the last few years I have bought her 15 or so of them.

Different sizes and shapes. She loves these things.

Do you buy jewelry for your wife and are you restricted to buying a certain kind?

Rita Rudner said:

I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage.

They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.

I am a wife but of a husband who used to work in the retail jewellery industry. When I met him he was an apprentice jeweller and it did not impress me so much. When we married my father in law made our rings. Still not overly impressed.

Year 1, I got a beautiful ring Ceylon Sapphire surrounded by 10 diamonds. Loved it but when it wore out I put it away and only look at it now.

We spent the next 29 years not even looking at all the bauble he worked with every day . .many were large, expensive diamonds and gems. Still not impressed.

Then, 5 years ago I was working for a company that sent me an invitation to attend a work conference and the dress up night was a "Bling" theme. When hubby saw the invite he chuckled loudly. He never does that.

Next month I returned home on a Thursday night (late night trading) from my regular road trip to my empty house and a shiny wooden box with a bow on it, sitting on my dininfg room table.

I opened it to find a new diamond ring with 4 very nice stones sparkling at me. WOW! I got straight onto the phone and rang hubby's work . . another staffer answered the phone and I was stuttering a bit as I ask to speak to him please . . during the pause . . I heard the girl say to hubby . ."She has found it". . and they all giggled. It was my bling for our 30th and the conference. I did not wear anything else shiny to the dress up night. I had my new ring to do the job . . now I was impressed.

Thanks mate. :infatuated:

Jewelry??? Ha! The last few gifts my husband got me were an iPad, Golf Cart, laptop, and a new iPhone. All of which are just what a girl wants.....NOT! I wish he would buy me jewelry but he honestly doesn't see the "value" in it because he has no use for it. A long time ago he did buy me diamond stud earrings once. I wear them everyday and never take them off. Even my wedding ring was a "here's the money, go pick something out" sort of deal. He is not romantic at all.

I told my husband (before one of my daughters died) "Look! You have two whole, grown daughters who know my taste in jewelry and you should take them with you to pick out something for me!" He never did. I think he doesn't want to DO jewelry.

Once, he came home with a bag having said he was in the shopping mall that had a cool jewelry store, which he mentioned. I was so psyched that he had bought me something bling from the store all by himself. Then he pulled out a wooden back scratcher from the bag. That told me that 1. it was not jewelry :cry: and 2. he didn't even want to scratch my back ever again - I had to do that without his input any more. I was actually MAD when he handed me his 'gift!' :taz:

My husband is Mr. Practical when it comes to gifts. A pair of hiking shoes for when we go hiking. Book bag and highlighters of all colours because he knows how much I like to study. A desk built in a certain spot in the house, or a soldering iron/light etc all set up at the table for a soldering project I'm working on. Jewelery, I have three pieces from him. A strand of freshwater pearls (he got this as a service award at work for 5 years of service) he gave them to me a long time ago, and they just confused me at the time. I was appreciative though, they represented 5 years of his blood, sweat and tears basically. I still have them tucked away because I'm afraid the line they're on will break. I was touched, but suggested he give them to his Mom or sister because I felt they were too personal of a gift. He was annoyed. And these, which he picked out all by himself and I :heart: them so much.

99490=5492-14537_206623831891_672986891_ I'm kind of weird when it comes to jewelery. I grew up in a household where my Mom was the other woman, and jewelery meant he was feeling guilty about something. I remember quite distinctly my mom getting earrings, the exact same ones the wife had received too. I'm happy my husband isn't a jewelery man for this reason, it makes me suspicious :perplexed: Also there was a coil of kubasa that he once proposed with about 5/6 years ago.....I wanted to KILL him, because I loved him then and he was just fooling around by proposing with the meat LOL!!! I look back at it now and laugh so hard. He says I'm cruel, because I took the ring from him and ate it with cheese. :lol2:

Grumpy buys me jewelry on our anniversary nearly every year. Sometimes we get something we both want for the house. Like a few years ago he remodeled my bathroom.

When we were 1st married I got earrings, and after that with the kids coming along, just a card and out to eat, now I get it all.:crush:

I buy him tools. That's what he wants.:hugs:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This is interesting!

Several experiences and observations by our Sisters, (Jewelry recipients)

and not one by our Brothers (Jewelry purchasers).

Surely one of you has at least thought about buying

Jewelry or something like it for your sweety.

Is it in your plans? Is it not practical enough of a gift?

Did you buy some before you got married and then quit?

I did a job once for a lady (kitchen remodel) whose husband

got her a belt-sander for Christmas and she was genuinely thrilled.

My wife would not share this particular emotion.

Sounds like my husband lol I too had to go buy my own (cheapest) wedding ring. Its no point dropping hints either as he doesn't catch on. Ive tried lingering looking in shop windows and saying i really like that but all he does is walk away totally not interested.

Jewelry??? Ha! The last few gifts my husband got me were an iPad, Golf Cart, laptop, and a new iPhone. All of which are just what a girl wants.....NOT! I wish he would buy me jewelry but he honestly doesn't see the "value" in it because he has no use for it. A long time ago he did buy me diamond stud earrings once. I wear them everyday and never take them off. Even my wedding ring was a "here's the money, go pick something out" sort of deal. He is not romantic at all.

The only place you can find perfection , is in the dictionary.

My husband has bought me jewelry.

A real pearl necklace for our 2nd anniversary. An improved diamond ring cause my wedding ring was nice, but cheaper, my new diamond is much nicer. Also, several pairs of nice earrings over the years. Couple of nice necklaces as well.

Last year on our anniversary, he gave me an antique Victorian dressing/vanity table. It is absolutely gorgeous. I had always wanted one, and he found one for me.

All in all, my husband is pretty good at anniversary gifts.

After buying my wife's wedding ring I am not trusted to buy jewelry for her anymore. The story behind it is this. This is my second marriage and now 22 years into it. As with my first I let my wife pick out her own wedding ring and I kept my mouth shut and let her get what would make her happy. Big mistake, for you see both of them picked out almost identical rings. Well they knew I loved roses and they did too so both of them picked out a ring with a large rose, one with a Ruby in the center and the last with a Diamond. My current wife found out about it six months later and wouldn't you know it, refused to wear her ring for the next twenty-one years. Just this past February she had the ring re-sized and started to wear it again. Many times I offered to let her pick out a different ring but no it was more fun to hold a grudge.

She has ever since preferred to shop for her own jewelry. Fortunately for me she likes the inexpensive HSN and QVC type and believe me they will probably never go out of business as long as we have cable tv and or internet.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

After buying my wife's wedding ring I am not trusted to buy jewelry for her anymore. The story behind it is this. This is my second marriage and now 22 years into it. As with my first I let my wife pick out her own wedding ring and I kept my mouth shut and let her get what would make her happy. Big mistake, for you see both of them picked out almost identical rings. Well they knew I loved roses and they did too so both of them picked out a ring with a large rose, one with a Ruby in the center and the last with a Diamond. My current wife found out about it six months later and wouldn't you know it, refused to wear her ring for the next twenty-one years. Just this past February she had the ring re-sized and started to wear it again. Many times I offered to let her pick out a different ring but no it was more fun to hold a grudge.

She has ever since preferred to shop for her own jewelry. Fortunately for me she likes the inexpensive HSN and QVC type and believe me they will probably never go out of business as long as we have cable tv and or internet.

That's kind of funny, and it wasn't even your fault!!!

My husband LOST his ring. Grr, it was a titanium band with black carbon fiber in it. I like inexpensive too Lynn, his ring was worth $500, but I paid $100, mine were worth $1300, but he got them for a steal of a deal $300 at K-Mart in Maine :D

When Grumpy buys jewelry, he goes for expensive. One year he bought me a ruby bracelet that cost $700.00. I'm scared to wear it because I'm afraid to loose it. I wanted a new couch that only cost $500.00. So now we go together to buy gifts. I like the things he has bought me but I rarely wear anything but earrings and my wedding rings. This year I have been talking to him about selling it all.

However when he buys tools, he also buys the best. But he gets more use out of the tools than I do out of jewelry.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

My husband is an antique dealer. In the last 2 years gold has risen steadily in price http://www.24hgold.com/english/gold_silver_prices_charts.aspx?money=GBPound.

He bought a jewellers loupe and gold testing kit and digital weigh scales and at the Antique Centre where we hire a space, and work 1-2 days a week. He found a reasonable bullion dealer. He advertises that he buys broken and unwanted jewellery.

Brothers and sisters from various congregations come with their broken jewellery or jewellery from deceased persons who have bequeathed it for Kingdom hall rebuilds or refurbishments. He pays the highest going rate to them. However, he also buys from the general public too at a more reasonable rate than the more commercial gold companies do. Also for example, a person may like an antique vase in our stall and can bring jewellery to swap for it and we trade. I get to wear some pretty 'stock' items for a few weeks, then we trade them on. I love the geology behind the gems and how they are cut or the artistry of the best carved cameos. I like to see the different styles through the ages - the organic swirls of Art Nouveau or the Geometry of Art Deco and some of the modernist designs of the Scandanavian artists of the 1970's. There's nothing to compare with the subtle colours in the lustre of a real natural or cultured pearl or the colourful sparkles in an opal.

It's a funny situation really, as I can't afford to buy new clothes - get nearly everything I wear at charity shops - but get to wear some real jewellery treats before they are traded. A real 'Secondhand Rose' ( old song made famous by Barbara Streisand) I am and I don't mind.

We were talking about jewelry at our coffee break on Wednesday. One sister was saying that she has several pieces of expensive jewelry that she inherited from her grandmother and mother, but she can't wear most of it because of allergies. Most allergies are caused by the alloys in the metal, but hers seems to be to the gold and platinum. With earrings she can last about five hours before she has to remove them. There is no way she could wear cheap jewelry. One of the brothers piped up. "Yeah, my wife told me she's allergic to cheap jewelry, too. Anything less than $500 makes her break out."

I imagine that the other Starbuck's people wonder what we laugh about all the time.

I refuse to buy my wife jewelry. Ugh......... To expensive. Besides I bought her a $500 diamond necklace one time, she looked at it and said, "I don't like it, take it back." So from there on, I have never bought another piece of jewelry for her.

We were talking about jewelry at our coffee break on Wednesday. One sister was saying that she has several pieces of expensive jewelry that she inherited from her grandmother and mother, but she can't wear most of it because of allergies. Most allergies are caused by the alloys in the metal, but hers seems to be to the gold and platinum. With earrings she can last about five hours before she has to remove them. There is no way she could wear cheap jewelry. One of the brothers piped up. "Yeah, my wife told me she's allergic to cheap jewelry, too. Anything less than $500 makes her break out."

I imagine that the other Starbuck's people wonder what we laugh about all the time.

She needs to be checked out for Diabetes . . soon.

The alloys in the metal can cause irritation . . but real gold causing grey marks or rashy skin can be a symptom of Diabetes. Worth a look.

She needs to be checked out for Diabetes . . soon.

The alloys in the metal can cause irritation . . but real gold causing grey marks or rashy skin can be a symptom of Diabetes. Worth a look.

That's interesting. She does have diabetes--we just didn't know there was a connection.

My Bobby was the best gift-giver! He surprised me all the time with stuff....some expensive, some not. And I had to be careful not to pause too long while looking at something or the next thing I knew he would have gotten it for me! :heart: He gave me jewelry (pearls, bracelets, silver, turqouise)...but he also would come home with cool pottery from local mills, or an antique rug, or hanging baskets for the yard, a card hidden in my purse or under my pillow.....or my fav eggrolls from the most fantastic Chinese restaurant (owned by Chinese witnesses/gourmet chefs in a nearby city)! While the jewelry is beautiful, the little things meant even more to me......special, personal....

miss him soooo much:cry:

That's interesting. She does have diabetes--we just didn't know there was a connection.

I work a few houras a week in a pharmacy and the pharmacist was not aware of it either. He had been offering creams to fight the obvious irritation (and rightly so) but when I mentioned the Diabetes link . .he blinked . . he had never heard of it.

People in the jewellery industry know it well . . and are often the first ones to suggest a doctor visit to the affected.