JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

QUICK help needed - Trying to find a letter

Good morning!  Sorry if this topic is in the wrong spot...

just read a couple days ago one of our elders' letters about our internet connection.  And in that letter, it said it would be worth the cost to use the security suites offered by ISPs.  But for the life of me I can't find the letter where I read that.  :facepalmpo2:

I've got an elders meeting in 4 hours, and would like to have this letter by then.  Can anyone help me figure out which one it was?  I'm gonna keep looking, but our Sunday meeting starts soon...

2 hours ago, computerwiz said:

Good morning!  Sorry if this topic is in the wrong spot...

just read a couple days ago one of our elders' letters about our internet connection.  And in that letter, it said it would be worth the cost to use the security suites offered by ISPs.  But for the life of me I can't find the letter where I read that.  :facepalmpo2:

I've got an elders meeting in 4 hours, and would like to have this letter by then.  Can anyone help me figure out which one it was?  I'm gonna keep looking, but our Sunday meeting starts soon...

Try this link to these discussions ...  https://jwtalk.net/forum/48-computers-tablets-mobile-devices-apps/

You may want to pm John who is very experienced..https://jwtalk.net/profile/2173-qapla/

Edited by SUNRAY

content

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

1 hour ago, -Chris- said:

Had a quick look, I vaguely remember something about possibly using ISP provided resources to block unwanted websites at the hall. I couldn't find it though.

I found it!!!  Just in time too!

I finally decided to look at our sfl book and found it there!  Chapter 21, paragraph 36, point 6.

2 hours ago, computerwiz said:

I found it!!!  Just in time too!

I finally decided to look at our sfl book and found it there!  Chapter 21, paragraph 36, point 6.

Ah, great find and a great reminder! I'll have to take a look at what is available to us, I know OpenDNS used to offer a baseline level of filtering for free, I should look into whether that's appropriate to use at the hall as well.

The note about only publishers in good standing having access to the Kingdom Hall WiFi is a good reminder as well. I just missed the opportunity to bring this up at the Operating Committee meeting but probably not necessary to change the password now, I bet half or more of the publishers and devices are new and don't have it stored.

20 hours ago, -Chris- said:

Ah, great find and a great reminder! I'll have to take a look at what is available to us, I know OpenDNS used to offer a baseline level of filtering for free, I should look into whether that's appropriate to use at the hall as well.

The note about only publishers in good standing having access to the Kingdom Hall WiFi is a good reminder as well. I just missed the opportunity to bring this up at the Operating Committee meeting but probably not necessary to change the password now, I bet half or more of the publishers and devices are new and don't have it stored.

I use OpenDNS as well, but I think they went to a paid model.  I'm just grandfathered in.

Some devices do backup the WiFi password to online storage, so when getting a new device they don't have to input it all again.

We just bought this router for our Hall.  It can handle many many devices with no issue.  You can set QoS and priorities.  And it has parental controls, without costing any extra:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084BNH26P/

as a part of KH maintenance program

someone should be assigned to regularly (like 1x per month) 

review the logs of who is accessing and where they go (website)

we found people (probably kids) playing games and even  head to head gaming during the meeting

there are written recommendations to have control over this resource just like we should control and regularly review who has key access to KH

2 minutes ago, DarinS said:

as a part of KH maintenance program

someone should be assigned to regularly (like 1x per month) 

review the logs of who is accessing and where they go (website)

we found people (probably kids) playing games and even  head to head gaming during the meeting

there are written recommendations to have control over this resource just like we should control and regularly review who has key access to KH

Definitely.  When you're new to a small congregation of 78, where 90% of them are afraid of technology, you'll find many things like that are missed.  Jehovah moved us here just before Zoom...for obvious reasons.  Now I get to implement that too.  >:D<