JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Help needed re opening jw.org in the app.

Please can someone help.

Everytime I try to open a link from jw.org, on my phone, it opens in the app.  I want it to open in my browser.

I have a Samsung Note 10+.  I have removed permissions and cleared the cache.

It gives me the option to 'select whether to open this app instead of your browser app when you go to supported web addresses.'

When I have that turned on  'supported web address option is live. If I turn it off, then jw.org as the supported web address is greyed out.

So then I turn on jw.org as the supported web address, but it just turns itself off again.

Defaults says 'In this App' but I can't clear it because 'Clear Defaults' is greyed out.

I have compared the settings with my tablet, also a Samsung, which works perfectly and opens in my browser, but it's an older tablet and

the settings are different.

I have written a really long message to a old bible student of mine, and I want to link the new brochure and also an invite to the memorial but I want to make sure it's linking properly before I send it.

When I try to copy and past the link into jw.org it opens on the page but not directly to the brochure. When I click the link it opens in the app. 

I am going a little bonkers with it. 😭😵

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I'm not sure this will fix your problem, but it might give you 'a-work-around'.

On the website, select the article and paragraph you wish to share. Using the 3 dots (options) on the "browser" bar, select 'Share'.

In this example I shared it via Gmail.

The link is the website link. Your recipient will have it open on the website.

I do not know if you will be able to open it on your Note 10 directly in the website - as it looks like there is a glitch in your device. (I use the Note 20 and it works ok.) But I feel confident your student will be able to open it on the website.

If you want to practice on me, send me a link, and I can let you know what happens at my end.

I hope I understood your question correctly, and that this 'share-link' works as you wish.
[Just to be clear: Do not use the share feature on the JW web page. Use the share function from the web browser (up the very top)]
Agape

Old (Downunder) Tone

Help-1.png

Help-2.png

Help-3.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

Thank you Tony.  Yes, I know I can do it that way but I didn't want to send mulitple messages and it would just have been better to do a C&P into the same message.

I did end up sending it separately but I would like to get this 'glitch', or whatever it is, fixed because it's annoying. LOL

Thank you Tony.  Yes, I know I can do it that way but I didn't want to send mulitple messages....
... and it would just have been better to do a C&P into the same message.

What I do is save each of the links as draft files. I do not send them separately. My system saves them in a draft folder.
You can then actually combine all the draft links into one final message. C&P them in the order you want, adding text between them to introduce each link.
Takes a bit of time, but I believe the final product is worth it.
Agape

Old (Downunder) Tone

57 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

What I do is save each of the links as draft files. I do not send them separately. My system saves them in a draft folder.
You can then actually combine all the draft links into one final message. C&P them in the order you want, adding text between them to introduce each link.
Takes a bit of time, but I believe the final product is worth it.
Agape

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

That probably works in Gmail but won't work in messenger, I don't think.

8 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

have written a really long message to a old bible student of mine, and I want to link the new brochure and also an invite to the memorial but I want to make sure it's linking properly before I send it

It's my understanding that when you send a link it will open in JWL if their device has it installed, if the device does not have JWL installed, then the link will open in JW.org.

Ask a non-witness friend or neighbor if you can send them a link to ensure it is working correctly...😁

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

13 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It's my understanding that when you send a link it will open in JWL if their device has it installed, if the device does not have JWL installed, then the link will open in JW.org.

Ask a non-witness friend or neighbor if you can send them a link to ensure it is working correctly...😁

That's a great idea. I'll send one to my daughter. Any excuse and that's a perfect one. 😉😁 More than one way to skin a cat - as the saying goes. 

Thank you Richard. ☺️

Inspite of that great excuse, it doesn't explain why it opens in my browser on my tablet - which is the one I use for meetings so I have the app on that, too.

Edited by GeordieGirl

20 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Know what?  I might use that as a pretext to send it to my sons too.  You're a genius, Richard. 😁

I'm sure that I borrowed the idea from someone else...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

That's a great idea. I'll send one to my daughter. Any excuse and that's a perfect one.  More than one way to skin a cat - as the saying goes. 

Thank you Richard. 

Inspite of that great excuse, it doesn't explain why it opens in my browser on my tablet - which is the one I use for meetings so I have the app on that, too.

In some instances the device will not let links be opened with JW Library. Perhaps some more tech savvy person can tell you why.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

That probably works in Gmail but won't work in messenger, I don't think.

I think you are correct, as i dont think messenger has a 'Drafts' folder. But you can save all all the links in Gmail 'drafts', then do your compilations using the Gmail editing features. Finally, you could C&P the final product into messenger. 

I use this method to edit and post links and the like on jwtalk. I'm sure the same could work for fb.

(This still does not 'fix' your problem.  It is just a 'work-around'.)

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

@GeordieGirl

However much this feature is useful, its one of the things in the app that I highly dislike. It goes ahead and tries to open all sorts of links and programs.. 

The problem is that sometime when you opened a link, you chose it to open with JW Library and selected the "always" option.

What you should do is go to JW Library app settings, and look for "defaults". There you should try to find a way to remove this app from opening the "supported web addresses" by default.

What I have as an option on my S21 is an dropdown menu when to open supported links with the available options 1. In this app 2. Always ask 3. In other app.

What you should have chosen is "Always ask". 

In other words, the app supports opening links from the jw.org domain. You should be able to choose whether you want to allow it to open those links or not. 

It might be little bit different on your device, but you should try to find something along those lines mentioned above.

5 hours ago, And_Ray said:

@GeordieGirl

However much this feature is useful, its one of the things in the app that I highly dislike. It goes ahead and tries to open all sorts of links and programs.. 

The problem is that sometime when you opened a link, you chose it to open with JW Library and selected the "always" option.

What you should do is go to JW Library app settings, and look for "defaults". There you should try to find a way to remove this app from opening the "supported web addresses" by default.

What I have as an option on my S21 is an dropdown menu when to open supported links with the available options 1. In this app 2. Always ask 3. In other app.

What you should have chosen is "Always ask". 

In other words, the app supports opening links from the jw.org domain. You should be able to choose whether you want to allow it to open those links or not. 

It might be little bit different on your device, but you should try to find something along those lines mentioned above.

Thank you for your reply, brother Andrej.

I find that there are other things the app wants to open as well, and sometimes I only get either jw app or jw sign language option for opening documents or files that are totally unrelated to anything JW, which is particularly annoying.  I never choose 'always' for any of the opening  suggestions, so this app seems to have a life of it's own. 

While I was writing the above, I had a lightbulb moment and I went and uninstalled both the JW sign language app and the JW language app from my phone and then I was able to turn off the 'open supported links' in jw library. Under defaults it now says 'In other app'. 

It seems to have worked. I did a bit of a trial, and C&P it into Messenger and then opened it and it opened in my browser.  YAY!! 

I wonder if the 3 apps were 'talking' to each other and confusing my phone.

Thank you to everyone who replied with help and advice.

I will still be doing a test with my daughter and sons@Tortuga.  Just in case. 😉😉😉