JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

AI Artificial intelligence holds risks for religious freedom

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 730 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here is the paradox. All the gathered information that can help facilitate faith outreach, particularly information about vulnerable individuals or countries’ national security infrastructures, can also be used by malign actors to stamp out minority beliefs. What happens, suddenly, when an authoritarian regime determines that a specific type of faith or religious adherence is a “threat to society”? Data and artificial intelligence can be deployed to target individuals and faith groups. Facial recognition technology, enabled by AI, can identify people entering or exiting houses of worship, which might later be used against them to bolster unjust charges of sedition.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/4/26/23033117/the-dark-side-of-ai-disinformation-misinformation-artificial-intelliegence-religion-virtual-church

Interesting to see how this will unfold in our future. 

Interesting read.
Here is a quote:
"In early 2022, an AI-enabled livestream literally helped save lives when congregants, tuning in virtually from home, notified law enforcement officers of a hostage situation unfolding at Congregation Beth Israel, a synagogue in Colleyville, Texas. What started as a joyful Sabbath service ended in a shootout with all of the hostages freed and one terrorist eliminated. Without the livestream, without the AI-enabled understanding of the congregation for law enforcement officers..."
{It was a Facebook live stream}

And another quote:
"Data and artificial intelligence can be deployed to target individuals and faith groups. Facial recognition technology, enabled by AI, can identify people entering or exiting houses of worship, which might later be used against them to bolster unjust charges of sedition."
{Is facial recognition 'AI' i ask?}

I think it is a stretch to blame "AI" (artificial intelligence).
It was not AI but people (human intelligence) watching a fb live stream (technology) that made the call. Yes, it was facilitated by technology, but interpreted by humans - not "AI".

It is facial (or voice) recognition technology that can identify people.
Data mining and technology is what I am reading about in this article, not "AI". The headline term "AI" was used to grab attention IMHO. And it worked. It made me look!

The point is valid though. Data mining can very easily be turned against organisations or groups. A phone can track your movement with you even knowing it. I am reminded of the mob of protesters that stormed the Capitol Building. Evidence of phone locations were gleaned from cell towers. It could pinpoint (by triangulation) even the rooms that each phone entered.

But the web of technology is too far advanced for us to be immune now.

I read a book called 'Spycatcher' by a retired UK MI5 'spy' Peter Wright. What they could do during WWII with limited technology astounded me. This chap retired to Tasmania and wrote his life story. The point I took home was this was a 'real world' account, not some fiction.

If (or when) we are turned on, it will be as easy as checking phone (mobile or fixed) call logs to round up 99% of our contacts. Who do we call on the phone? Family, friends and work I suspect. This is all logged.

By a simple algorithm starting from the nearest Branch, the CO's & Elders could be quickly identified. Then their calls lead down to the friends in each area. This techology has been around and used by law enforcement since the 80's.

The data horse has escaped from the paddock and bolted long ago, and there is no way human governments will get it back under control now. Only a heavenly government will fix it.

Old (Downunder) Tone