JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 664 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here are some of the news articles.  I don't know how widely read they are...

I would be very interested in the feeling of those in Europe where the carts are now starting up...
Does the fact that Russia has now been called out by the EUHR, and their appalling treatment of witnesses exposed...
Would people now seeing carts (after a 2 year absence) look upon us with a tad more favour and respect?
I seem to think the timing could not be any better. Almost like 2× wins.
1 was in the courts; the other 1 with lockdown and Covid-19...
Could the combination of these 2 events be a greater witness than the sum of the parts? (ie 2 separate and distant events?)

Old (Downunder) Tone

9 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

You guessed it: One was Russian.

Yes, the link the OP provided to the full EUHR Report listed Mikhail Lobov as one of the jurists.

The Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly (PACE) today elected Mikhail Borisovich Lobov as judge to the European Court of Human Rights in respect of the Russian Federation. (28 September 2021)

https://pace.coe.int/en/news/8445

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has decided to suspend Russian Judge Mikhail Lobov's activity in view of Russia's withdrawal from the Council of Europe. (17 March 2022)

https://interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/76930/

6 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:
3 hours ago, JW2017 said:
Here are some of the news articles.  I don't know how widely read they are...

I would be very interested in the feeling of those in Europe where the carts are now starting up...
Does the fact that Russia has now been called out by the EUHR, and their appalling treatment of witnesses exposed...
Would people now seeing carts (after a 2 year absence) look upon us with a tad more favour and respect?
I seem to think the timing could not be any better. Almost like 2× wins.
1 was in the courts; the other 1 with lockdown and Covid-19...
Could the combination of these 2 events be a greater witness than the sum of the parts? (ie 2 separate and distant events?)

TBH I wouldn't over estimate the impact of this specific news, at least on the general public in the street. Currently this news has made very little impact in the media meaning that the general public really have no idea about the ruling. And in terms of the news cycle, I wouldn't really expect that to change, besides, it's all kinda a moot point now as Russia has already set 16 March 2022 as being the cut-off date for them to recognise EUHR rulings. 🤷‍♂️

On 6/7/2022 at 8:39 PM, Tortuga said:

Washington Times

It has now been picked up by The Washington Post, with an 'Opinion' article written by the Washington Post's Editorial Board

The Washington Post - Opinion: In Russia, a Christian religion is punished, over and over again

The headlines are full of stories about threats to democracy around the world and in the United States. Despots are on the rise, endangering freedom of speech, assembly and religion. But what is it really like to live under such conditions? A new decision by the European Court of Human Rights paints a depressing picture of the experiences of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia, who have been severely punished for their beliefs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/11/russia-punish-jehovah-witnesses/

This Editorial Opinion piece represents the views of The Washington Post as an institution, as determined through debate among members of the Editorial Board, based in the Opinions section and separate from the newsroom.

• 3 weeks later...

Bro. John, just read that on JW.Org.  Even though they have removed themselves for the European Court and their contract though expires in Sept., they are still not going to let JWs out of prison and the preaching work will still be banned.

How does that exonerate Jehovah?  (don't understand).

Russia is going to do what they want.  A political Absalom indeed!

But the other 40-50 member nations still have the judgment to apply (precedent).  So around that part of the world it is now legally established that we are peace-loving citizens and we deserve our freedom.  So that honors Jehovah and puts the court view in writing.

As we read back through these posts, you notice that we really didn't think that Russia was going to give us our freedom and millions of dollars in fines.  And it appears that they are not going to do so.