JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Writing Tenancy Agreement.

I have always had very understanding and compliant Tenants,so I have never thought it of any need to use Tenancy agreement,plus that it is very awkward in my place as people always  expect you to trust them, so they will not be happy if you request they sign agreement papers.personally I like to dignify people with trust as it is the way I too like to be treated.

Sadly recently I have felt compelled to draft my conditions for my tenants because one of my tenant who would not complete his rent refused my gentle appeal to vacate my property since the rent period was due,I even offered to allow him go with the balance of his rent which he is owing me.

to cut long story short,He made me go to court which is something I am never used to and im never pleased with.being a pacifist I abhor litigation.

The court officials actually sympathize with me but recommended I needed to get a good Tenancy agreement.

So I've been struggling with this hurdle for about three days now and its not been easy for,I'm really unsure what should go in that agreement without appearing too mean to my fellow humans who live as my tenants.

Kindly share your good opinions, thanks.

Sorry, Ishaya, that must have been a very unpleasant situation.

I have never signed this kind of agreement, but I guess it should contain the price of the rent and the date when it's due, any conditions such as what is allowed or not in the property, and what will happen if the rent is not honored in time. Those terms can be reasonable and flexible. That way both sides know what their rights and duties are.

Yes, brother. Tenancy laws vary from one location to another. In the past I had rental properties in the USA and never, ever rented to anyone without having a written agreement. I don't know about laws in your area, but in the USA real estate agreements are seldom if ever recognized if they are not written.

If you are looking for help to write such an agreement, as was mentioned ask your local elders. If they don't have this experience, search for an experienced landlord that you can trust. If you can't find any, are there reputable lawyers that you can trust?  

Best wishes to you in continuing to find good tenants.

We have been Landlords almost 40 years here in Texas, USA.  We started out with one page lease; and updated every few years. It is now 7 pages, very Strict & detailed with Laws.  We plan to update this year, as some Laws changed in 2019 & 2021.  We go over Lease in person with All adults; even JW's. They initial each page & sign last page.  Lease is very useful in court; but seldom go that far.  You can get copy of Realtor Lease on Google.

Thank you very much Brothers for your helpful suggestions.I made some enquiries from some landlords nearby,it turns out I'm not the only one who doesn't use tenancy agreement.one landlord even advised me that it will scare tenants from renting my property if I want to use it.

another problem is that some people are not literate so they can't read,and can't make signature,so 

if I insist it may not seem fair.

So I'm just thinking of sticking with the old method and hoping I can manage the tenants with verbal understanding and solicit for their cooperation as usual.

Sometimes I reallI wish all my tenants were JW's.when I was In the university landlords used to reserve their property for only JW students because of their good conduct and cooperation.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:59 PM, Wanda Hill said:

Sounds like you cover every base..do you have good tenants?..any JWs?..How do they stack up against the ones that are not?

Yes, we have had some very good tenants, even 15 years before they passed away.  Business is business, even with JW's.  We have young JW couple now for 2 years.  We had pioneer couple previously in same home, Excellent.  We have br. now in one house 10 yrs; we overlooked 5 lease violations. But he is highly upset now.  We had put out letter to all, concerning water leaks; even notices from city.  Yes, he got severely mad that day & wouldn't listen to reason & still mad.  He told everyone 6 months ago, he had moved/or was moving; yet, still here. Taxes, lack of housing, etc has caused all rents in area to almost double this past year. We finally went up at least $10.-50. month.  He had been getting super deal at $ 480; but since he didn't appreciate it, we went up to $ 600.  (House can easily be rented for $800. plus).  We do background checks, yet you never know about anyone until they are already in.  Have had very good & very Bad.