JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Diets (advice)

Well its that time of year, near summer we all start to think about our waist line.

I have a serious obesity problem.

I was 26 stone. or 165 kg, or 364 lbs.

I got a gastric band put in for a year and i lost 9 stone, i am now 17 stone 3lbs.

107Kg or 238lbs. I would like some diet advice on how to keep the weight off with out going back to

eating big meals.

since i lost the weight i am doing much better in the field service, and i hope to Auxiliary pioneer.

I walk a lot, but i wont join a gym or go swimming as i am too embarrassed.

Hope to get some advice as i am not doing to well at the moment.

Hello Ron you already did an amazing job! 126 lbs lost is an entire person, but you need to workout. I don't do very much but it is very consistent. I tone for ten minutes in the morning and about 20 minutes of cardio in the evenings. I feel strong and sprite afterwards. Both of these I do at home with DVDs or On Demand videos. When I'm feeling up to it I walk in the neighborhood park and talk to Jehovah. It is truly breathtaking and calming, and later that night I sleep like a baby. Keep up the great work!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

hi Greenfield.

Nice to meet you.

A lot of the brothers who play football in my kingdom hall are a bit fast for me.

They are really young. Im 49 so i would find that kind of exercise a bit to much.

I also have a heart condition, i had two heart attacks. So i do a little walking at a brisk place. But yes exercise is a must if you want to lose weight.

Venus please to meet you.

i do have a exercise programme that i follow. My dietitian gave me.

The gyms hear in belfast are filled with young men flexing their muscles at the female assistants.

I am too self concious about how i look. Even if the weatherr is hot and i am out in field service, and the other brother and sisters are

wearing shirts and summer dresses, im wearing a big heavy coat.

I need encouragement to stick to the diet i have been give. I went to the U.S. a couple of weeks ago.

New york and i gained 2lbs.

You have done so well Ron, that is a huge amount to loose :) I'm sure it will continue to come off, its better to loose it slowely.

I've always found its so easy top pile the weight on but so hard to take it off !!

For me its eating sensibly and excercise... for many years I worked in nursing homes, on a 12 hour shift... lots of walking !! and weight dropped off me, then I stopped work :eek: within one year I had put on 2 stone and for my sins became diabetic :( I've since lost itagain but of course you never loose the Diabetes !

I hate Diabetes as I have a sweet tooth, in fact several sweet teeth LOL and so I regularily fall of the non sugar and non carbs wagon and then pay the price with kidney pain ...

It must be so hard to excercise when you have a heart problem...

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I think i might give that a go, it sounds lovely. My problem is i like Mac d's too much.

When i am on the platform i feel very contious of my weight, and get embarrassed.

I guess i am making excused about not exercising, but i really hate it. :drink: thats what i like to do. :laugh:

not on a regular basis mind you. But i do enjoy a pint.

Eating sensibly is a problem for me anniebea. I live on my own so i used to get a take away every night.

I guess i was comfort eating and then before you know it i was a size 60 inch waist.

By that time i just felt like another stone is not going to make much difference.

But i want to do my best for Jehovah, and the responsibility i get, i want to do better.

But my health has always let me down.

The gastric band was a great help as it shrunk my stomach but not my appetite, and there were time

i was crying because i wanted to eat.

I have tt stay positive.

My husband recently just lost 25 lbs in a few weeks and all he did was change his eating options and portion control. He asked me to only cook and buy chicken and pork (leaner meats). Also make sure if you do "diet" have one day a week where you eat ANYTHING you want. I call it a "cheat day". It tricks your body into thinking you are not on a diet. A lot of times diets fail because people's bodies go into sort of shock mode and then start to save up what you eat because it thinks it's being starved. One day a week indulge in sweets and Mc D's and have a pint or 2. My husband loves beer and didn't give that up. I grocery shop in the perimeter of the grocery store. Only buying things in the produce and meat departments for our meals. Once a week I will make a pasta dish (no cream sauce usually tomato based) but if you eat pasta or anything full of carbs do it for lunch or breakfast. Carbs in the evening are not good but good to eat before exercise. If you want to try an exercise program for free try a walk/run program like at www.C25k.com. Walking/jogging/running is the best workout. It does require a gym membership and to me is the most natural excersise because it doesn't require anything but shoes.

I like the idea of cheat days. Blueyedchanel. Your husband did fantastically well. I am doing ok, i just need a bit of encouragement since i got the band out.

I am finding that we are having a lot of social nights and there is loads of food being served.

I can resist anything except temptation.

Ron, whatever you were doing to lose the weight that you did I would say to continue with that! It is really a temptation to attend the social nights with all that good food. Try drinking water & eating an apple before you go. It helps to fill you up a little & hopefully will cut your appetite some. Keep up the good work. Add a cheat day in there, I think that that will help and you won't feel so deprived. It feels wonderful to take some weight off when we need to. Do it one day or one meal at a time. Planning your meals ahead also helps. That is one of my big problems because I also live alone so I end up eating when I get hungary & grab whatever is available. Pray for help to continue on. Hope that this all helps some! :encourage:

I like the idea of cheat days. Blueyedchanel. Your husband did fantastically well. I am doing ok, i just need a bit of encouragement since i got the band out.

I am finding that we are having a lot of social nights and there is loads of food being served.

I can resist anything except temptation.

Yes when i am out in the service with the Bros and sisters i am pretty good.

untill it comes to break time and we head to starbucks.

I have a good breakfast Porridge with a banana and honey, then i have a apple and water for my break

(unless we go to starbucks)

Then its a Caramel Macchiato with two sugars, and a scone with Butter and Jam.

I slipped up today being saturday. We start about 8am doing street work,, then we go to a local weatherspoons for breakfast.

A huge fry up. Bacon sausage, eggs, mushrooms, and two rounds of toast.

Im disgusted with my self.

Self control is one of the fruitages of the spirit. :ohmy:

Yes when i am out in the service with the Bros and sisters i am pretty good.

untill it comes to break time and we head to starbucks.

I have a good breakfast Porridge with a banana and honey, then i have a apple and water for my break

(unless we go to starbucks)

Then its a Caramel Macchiato with two sugars, and a scone with Butter and Jam.

I slipped up today being saturday. We start about 8am doing street work,, then we go to a local weatherspoons for breakfast.

A huge fry up. Bacon sausage, eggs, mushrooms, and two rounds of toast.

Im disgusted with my self.

Self control is one of the fruitages of the spirit. :ohmy:

Ok so today is your cheat day!!!

I am being good tonight. I am having fish and chips.

But oven chips, and proper cod filit done in the oven.

I was a naughty boy today, but Jehovah is a forgiving God.

Hey Ron,

Kind of give this some thought....A friend comes and tells you what a crummy day she had....watching her food intake....she feels so down, because of her feelings of having a lack of control....over what she chooses to eat.....I bet you would try to console her.....and let her know that we all have times when we feel weaker than stronger.....whether it involves our food choices or some other albatross we each have to carry.....you certainly would not pull out a proverbial club....and proceed to beat her up over her lapse....NO!!!....I am sure you would treat her with kindness and understanding....SO

As hard as it may be.....be gentle with yourself....because if you give yourself a break...and don't beat yourself up....just put it behind you and move on.....a week from now it won't mean to much of

anything....it's the old tortoise and the hare metaphor.....if you are more consistent than not... like the tortoise....even it you go slow....you perseverance will pay off.

Agape

Hi Ron, I thought you might be interested in what I found by chance today. Chair Exercise! I tried the ten minute workout and believe me, it was challenging! The girl kept saying just modify the moves to suit yourself. I've always had weak muscles, so this little workout is right up my alley....maybe you would like it too.

Oh, and there are tons of youtube videos online to choose from. The one I found was from sparkpeople.com.

Your sis, Shari

Many thanks.

I like the sound of chair exercises. I can do them when i watch my favourite soccer team.

(Glasgow Celtic).

I am so lazy, it is unreal. I just cant do exercise. There is a visiting brother coming over next week from

London Bethel to give a talk and have a week encouragement with us, some of us has planned a hike

over the Mourne mountains. (NOT ME) Ill be sitting in the mini bus, enjoying the scenery.

I feel the same. Not sure if it's laziness or extreme fatigue. I'm taking D-Ribose supplement to try to get my energy up. It is fun to do the chair exercise right along with the person on the video. More motivating to me.....