JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Needing an LDC training AV system

I'm working with LDC for training classes. It turns out that the vast majority of the time, we are not able to use kh AV equipment other than tv's for training classes.I'm trying to purchase the following items today  and would like your input:

HDMI splitter to run both tv screens from a laptop

2-20' HDMI cables

Wired speaker system to connect to my laptop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The LDC/Branch has some arrangements with B&H and some other vendors for reduced pricing.

The brand "Black Magic" is a top brand and widely used in many KH's (Don't let the name bother you - it is only a name)

"Monoprice" is another place to get quality A/V paraphernalia - not sure if the Branch still has an arrangement with them.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Why can't you use the KH's computer to use the AV equipment exactly?

Is it the software such as a PowerPoint presentation that the KH computer systems don't have? Or it that you cannot control the KH's computer from the stage?

If the KH's computer and AV is suitable, but you wish to control the the AV from the stage, have you thought about using a remote desktop software such as Teamviewer, Splashtop or Log me in? Or they AV can remote log onto your device, and the video/image and audio from your device still can be heard and used, but you control your device from the stage.

Edited by Pabo

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

The LDC/Branch has some arrangements with B&H and some other vendors for reduced pricing.

The brand "Black Magic" is a top brand and widely used in many KH's (Don't let the name bother you - it is only a name)

"Monoprice" is another place to get quality A/V paraphernalia - not sure if the Branch still has an arrangement with them.

Thanks John. But over the years, our experience has been that we save quite a bit by not using the branch’ssupplier arrangements unless we’re buying a bulk of something. The supplier arrangement is based on national procing, local pricing wins every time, at least where I’m located it does.

7 hours ago, Pabo said:

Why can't you use the KH's computer to use the AV equipment exactly?

Is it the software such as a PowerPoint presentation that the KH computer systems don't have? Or it that you cannot control the KH's computer from the stage?

If the KH's computer and AV is suitable, but you wish to control the the AV from the stage, have you thought about using a remote desktop software such as Teamviewer, Splashtop or Log me in? Or they AV can remote log onto your device, and the video/image and audio from your device still can be heard and used, but you control your device from the stage.

It’s a combination, butall the classes I’m involved with use PowerPoint and halls aren’t purchasing and have no need to purchase a subscription.

controlling it is the other issue, the instructor needs to control it usually so thats been another issue. So the instructor hooks up thhe laptop to the tv or tvs, and hooks up external speakers for audio since videos are also shown. 

@bigvince

What about using Zoom and using your laptop using the share screen feature with audio to be shared as well, and the AV department pins you to the second screen (which is the stage monitors)?

Thus what you are doing on your laptop will be broadcast over the KH audio and visual system. Sounds funny to be using Zoom when you are in the same hall but it will work. Just make sure that the KH Zoom has you as the host or co-host to enable you to share the screen.

If you set your laptop lectern so you can control what you need to show on the PP presentation and also the videos, and then you can use the microphone on the stage for all in the KH to hear. But you will need to mute the Zoom microphone and the speaker's on your laptop to eliminate any feedback in Zoom.

Edited by Pabo

Even without the Branch pricing, B&H or Monoprice may still have the best prices for what you need - Although, Amazon also sells the HDMI to SDI and SDI to HDMI converters at reasonable prices.

For simple HDMI 1-in-2-out, Walmart and Amazon have them - although, our Walmart does not carry them "in-stock" and must be ordered. Amazon may be faster. Most Walmart's do carry HDMI cables, you just have to check your local Walmart to see if they are in-stock.

Keep in mind that using HDMI cables long enough to do what you want; you may experience signal loss if you do not use a powered cable. Walmart does sell 20' HDMI cables.

I know on the KH's we have installed TV's in, we used the SDI-HDMI (HDMI-SDI) converters to make running the length of cable needed easier and they have much better quality without signal loss.

Let us know what you end up getting

Maybe I will see you on Zoom Chat

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

23 hours ago, bigvince said:

It’s a combination, butall the classes I’m involved with use PowerPoint and halls aren’t purchasing and have no need to purchase a subscription.

controlling it is the other issue, the instructor needs to control it usually so thats been another issue. So the instructor hooks up thhe laptop to the tv or tvs, and hooks up external speakers for audio since videos are also shown. 

We had a Field Rep come to our hall and do the typical PowerPoint presentation when a renovation is going to happen with the BOE's of the KH. You can play a PowerPoint presentation w/o having PowerPoint installed. Also, he had a USB receiver that he used to advance the slides - no issues controlling it from the platform. 

Yep - Marlowe is correct 

Powerpoint viewer is free

and there are many other free 'Office" type programs

and we use the usb dongle/remote control same way

that way we can leverage the KH AV system and the speaker has control

we also have a 50' HDMI cable if they insist....lol

was not super expensive  - we did buy online $25 @ monoprice and same on Amazon ....HomeDepot was $75.00

• 3 weeks later...
[mention=5205]bigvince[/mention]

What about using Zoom and using your laptop using the share screen feature with audio to be shared as well, and the AV department pins you to the second screen (which is the stage monitors)?

Thus what you are doing on your laptop will be broadcast over the KH audio and visual system. Sounds funny to be using Zoom when you are in the same hall but it will work. Just make sure that the KH Zoom has you as the host or co-host to enable you to share the screen.

If you set your laptop lectern so you can control what you need to show on the PP presentation and also the videos, and then you can use the microphone on the stage for all in the KH to hear. But you will need to mute the Zoom microphone and the speaker's on your laptop to eliminate any feedback in Zoom.
I bought a $10 remote that advances the PowerPoint slides when I press the button.
It also had a built-in laser pointer. While I prepared the presentation, all the AV Bros had to do was get the first slide up as I was walking up.
(The model also had a 'reverse' button.)
Very simple installation. A dongle to plug into the usb port, and you are done.
For those that did not have the Microsoft software, I installed the free Kingsoft Office Suite. Works (and reads/writes) all the MS files. (doc, docx, ppt etc).

Old (Downunder) Tone