JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Links to/from WOL.JW.ORG no longer working?

This well loved shortcut disappeared.

*** w18 junio pág. 13 Pudo haber tenido la aprobación de Dios ***

Crónicas 12:14

rehoboam did good things, but he did not have the approval of god. The Bible says: "He did what was bad." Rehoboam's account teaches us a valuable lesson. To have God's approval, it is not enough to support the family or strive to achieve certain achievements, the most important thing is to always put true worship first.

14 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Up until recently it was possible to tap on a Bible verse or an article paragraph and a tab would appear that allowed the paragraph and a url link to be copied.  That feature seems to have disappeared. Anyone else notice this?

The feature appears to still exist, but unfortunately the implementation has been (hopefully temporarily) broken by something?

Clicking on a paragraph in WOL, still highlights the paragraph, but the URL link no longer visibly updates to insert the #h=XX at the end, where XX is the numerical number given to the selected paragraph/s. Thus instead of providing a link to a long article, the link, with the #h-XX string at the end, you could link directly to the selected paragraph/s.

You can still add the #h=XX string manually at the end of the URL, and it still works as before. The problem though is the counting, which isn't always obvious, with subheading, and is harder the longer of the article/chapter is etc etc 😕

Edited by Parale

• 2 weeks later...

I used the restored feature today and realized it no longer links to WOL, at least when using the insight book on wol.jw.org — instead, the link it generated takes you to the insight book directly on JW.org

Maybe this is in preparation for the absorption of WOL into JW.org? or just more inter-linking between the two sites (with preference for publications directly hosted on the main domain)

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I used the restored feature today and realized it no longer links to WOL, at least when using the insight book on wol.jw.org — instead, the link it generated takes you to the insight book directly on JW.org

That appears to be the case for any publication which appears on the main JW.org website, when using the 'Share' icon - shown below - for linking to the entire article

image.png.93f4e24f1edafc97d8b7e645a2dc1b2d.png

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Maybe this is in preparation for the absorption of WOL into JW.org?

Oh, is that meant to be a thing?

On 4/21/2023 at 12:36 AM, Shawnster said:

Up until recently it was possible to tap on a Bible verse or an article paragraph and a tab would appear that allowed the paragraph and a url link to be copied.  That feature seems to have disappeared. Anyone else notice this? 

It is often this specific feature that means my preference is to always use WOL for my base search/information, rather than JW.org which does not (currently?) enable you to link to a specific paragraph, which I believe is particularly important when linking to a long article, especially if it doesn't have paragraph numbers.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Maybe this is in preparation for the absorption of WOL into JW.org? or just more inter-linking between the two sites (with preference for publications directly hosted on the main domain)

If content is available in both jw.org and Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY (WOL), then the shared link (https://www.jw.org/finder?srctype=wol&srcid=share) will always link to jw.org. On the other hand, if the content is only available in WOL, then the link will direct to WOL.

It is possible to force the shared link to redirect to WOL by changing the front of the shared link into this: https://wol.jw.org/wol/finder?srctype=wol&srcid=share.

I personally think it would be extremely unlikely that WOL will be ‘merged’ into jw.org any time soon. As one example, even as recent as in the May 2023 edition of The Watchtower—Study Edition, the brothers prepared a “Research Tip” article specifically teaching us how to use WOL more effectively, entitled, “Reference Works in Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY™.”

*** w23 May p. 32 Research Tip ***
Reference Works in Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY™
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2023407&srctype=wol&srcid=share (WOL: https://wol.jw.org/wol/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2023407&srctype=wol&srcid=share)

I think if WOL was about to be ‘merged’ anytime soon, the timing of that article is a little bit odd. I think that WOL is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Hinata