JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

NW Scheduler/Publisher - Updates, Support, and Suggestions

1 minute ago, foghorn said:

Re: Data Storage. Per NW Scheduler documents, there are 2 cases with this:

• Case #1 SHARING IS DISABLED. All data is encrypted and stored on local computer only. No cloud connection whatsoever
  • Case #2 SHARING IS ENABLED. Yes, encrypted data IS STORED ONLINE. This allows all users in the congregation to have exactly the same data on their PC. But WHAT data is stored? Notice their explanation:

Any hacker intercepting those data strings would not be able to extract any usable information. The only realistic way a bad actor could access congregation data is to sit in front of your computer and log on to NWS using your credentials. If he could do this, it would not matter whether sharing was enabled or not.

Could not say it better myself. It's secure and a very helpful app

18 hours ago, foghorn said:

Re: Data Storage. Per NW Scheduler documents, there are 2 cases with this:

• Case #1 SHARING IS DISABLED. All data is encrypted and stored on local computer only. No cloud connection whatsoever
  • Case #2 SHARING IS ENABLED. Yes, encrypted data IS STORED ONLINE. This allows all users in the congregation to have exactly the same data on their PC. But WHAT data is stored? Notice their explanation:

Any hacker intercepting those data strings would not be able to extract any usable information. The only realistic way a bad actor could access congregation data is to sit in front of your computer and log on to NWS using your credentials. If he could do this, it would not matter whether sharing was enabled or not.

My only issue with that is sfl makes no distinction between encrypted data and non encrypted data.

Also is your birthdate sensitive or confidential? I don't know. Some might say it is. But is definitely stored online. Its easy to prove to yourself. Just install NWS on another computer and login with your own username and password and it will download all the info from the sharing server.

19 hours ago, AndyCase said:

Well if you have an issue then perhaps either ask them via email, pray about it if it's bugging you that much, or speak to your fellow body about it 

As for me, I'm not interested in the how's of things. I trust the security and knowledge of my brother's who are more experienced than I am and I will wait on further instruction if the Governing Body feels it's necessary 

I prefer to use my time shepherding and teaching etc rather than doing admin, schedules, talk slips etc. So NWS is perfect.

As I have already said I have accepted the program. I love NWS as well. I am the one who pushed for it in my congregation. But I also wanted to know how safe it is before I put the friends' private data out there. That is why I did some tests so I could determine what it is doing. Its not bugging me. I merely corrected a statement that was made. The data is stored online, yes encrypted, but still online.

On 10/12/2024 at 1:42 PM, Floyd said:

My only issue with that is sfl makes no distinction between encrypted data and non encrypted data.

Also is your birthdate sensitive or confidential? I don't know. Some might say it is. But is definitely stored online.

Floyd, this is an important matter and I think any body of elders who uses NW Scheduler or is considering using it has had to discuss it. Of course you are right. Any information that is synced for all users obviously has to be stored online somewhere. This is common sense.

I contacted NWS developers regarding this and they explained the key is the definition of "confidential data" used by the Slave. The sfl book (the elders' manual, for those who don't know) explains that confidential information refers to records related with committees or other documents that are kept in the congregation archive. It may also include letters and instructions that are solely for the elders. NW Scheduler doesn't handle any such documents, so nothing confidential is stored.

The same sfl book makes it clear that publishers' personal information is not "confidential data" from the Slave's viewpoint, since it mentions specifically that it can be stored online for quick and easy access. So publishers' contact data and other personal details are stored on NW Scheduler servers, although they are encrypted for privacy.

If you wish, I can forward you the reply I received from NW Scheduler developers, which contains several specific references to the sfl book that I'd rather don't share here. Maybe reading that will make you more comfortable with the use of this software. :)

11 hours ago, carlos said:

If you wish, I can forward you the reply I received from NW Scheduler developers, which contains several specific references to the sfl book that I'd rather don't share here. Maybe reading that will make you more comfortable with the use of this software. :)

As I have already stated I am already comfortable using the software. But I am also not blind to the fact that all of the information in it is stored online when sharing is used. I was just correcting a statement that was made.

The issue I spoke of that you quoted is when people try to say it ok to use because it is encrypted is not valid since sfl does not say its ok to store confidential data online if it is encrypted. However as we have both stated most of the information in NWS in not confidential. I will also say that if that information was leaked and a hacker was able to decrypt it this is a good start to identity theft. I am not saying it should not be used but be informed. And that is true of any software.

Hello brothers, I was just updating the list of public lectures for 2025 and noticed that it’s not possible to input the speakers for 2025 without overwriting the current speakers for 2024. Even though there’s a toggle to switch between the years, it doesn’t seem to work. Or is it due to my incorrect application?

image.thumb.png.976b455b8825a2c40e0193acfd093eac.png

2 hours ago, Tonis said:

Hello brothers, I was just updating the list of public lectures for 2025 and noticed that it’s not possible to input the speakers for 2025 without overwriting the current speakers for 2024. Even though there’s a toggle to switch between the years, it doesn’t seem to work. Or is it due to my incorrect application?

That toggle is to change the meeting time, I think. This is not where you schedule the speakers for any particular year. That is in the Schedules section.

3 hours ago, Tonis said:

Tonis, that's not where you schedule speakers. Please have a look at this video:

https://nwscheduler.com/how-to/schedule/schedule-public-talks-local/

I’m sure this has been answered before but if someone could point me to it in the 61 pages, that would be great. 😊 

My husband is the school overseer and he says when he updates the schedule, it doesn’t always update in the publisher app. 

He just recently had to make a change for a local needs part and it isn’t showing in the publisher app. 

Is there a solution for this?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

39 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

He just recently had to make a change for a local needs part and it isn’t showing in the publisher app. 

When that happens, usually the easiest solution is to make a small change (for example assign a prayer to himself), then change it back and update the changes. That only takes a few seconds and fixes the issue most of the time.

8 minutes ago, carlos said:

When that happens, usually the easiest solution is to make a small change (for example assign a prayer to himself), then change it back and update the changes. That only takes a few seconds and fixes the issue most of the time.

Ok I will let him know. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”