JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

All Things Personal Finance

6 minutes ago, bigvince said:

Wow. I'm up for adoption, just putting that out there lol.

My 401k is 3.3%YTD, lol

It's not too late to join!  We're entering a consolidation period.  Probably 10-20% dip.  Then it's off to the moon!

Though with crypto, I have to admit we are in uncharted territory.  Bitcoin has never set a new all-time-high before the halving event.  So this time is different.  We could take off again sooner.  But if we go with history, we're about to have 1-3 months of relative boredom.  But some alts will probably pop off.  Just the main coins will get boring for a bit...

Edited by computerwiz

I’m learning very quickly that sometimes it’s best to share investment or other financial plans with people you sense really care about you. Some folks act as if they want to see you win financially and secure a solid financial future for yourself, even offering advice… but the moment you start making moves, it becomes apparent they never did. I never could understand envy and competition. I want to see everyone win in life. Not just financially but in all aspects.
Oh, well. It’s a learning experience.
I will continue to share financial goals in this thread to encourage those who are considering similar things though 😊

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

22 minutes ago, Cushi said:

I’m learning very quickly that sometimes it’s best to share investment or other financial plans with people you sense really care about you. Some folks act as if they want to see you win financially and secure a solid financial future for yourself, even offering advice… but the moment you start making moves, it becomes apparent they never did. I never could understand envy and competition. I want to see everyone win in life. Not just financially but in all aspects.
I will continue to share financial goals in this thread to encourage those who are considering similar things though 😊

I'm not sure what you are saying, did one of us say something wrong?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

@Tortuga I think Cushi is speaking in general, not anyone here.

But he has a point. Even with brothers and sisters, I've had situations even recently that made me question whether or not they were who they claim to be. If I could find a brother who does Vanguard and 401k's and such to help me, I'd feel more at ease, but I wouldn't blindly follow their recommendations.

13 hours ago, Cushi said:

Always true.  Any goal you have will be supported by some, but not by others.  If your goal is to get a promotion at work, some will support you, but someone else may want the promotion for himself.  The latter would not be supportive.

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

My return YTD is 6.3%

7.4% as of 3/20/24. That's after my monthly draw and the advisor fees, so it's actually over 8% YTD. It's always fun watching the stock market, it's like watching people on a roller-coaster...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/21/2024 at 5:41 AM, Witness1970 said:

Always true.  Any goal you have will be supported by some, but not by others.  If your goal is to get a promotion at work, some will support you, but someone else may want the promotion for himself.  The latter would not be supportive.

That’s true. It has been my experience that if you make up part of a certain ethnic group, many people in the world act as if you’re not supposed to have anything. They expect you to walk around with bad credit and not have a penny to your name. And when you are doing well for yourself financially, they can’t stand it. Especially you’re doing better than them. You could be driving the same car as them, live in the same neighborhood, and be in the same tax bracket, and they still hate to see you doing good. 
Unfortunately, some brothers and sisters have this same attitude, and it can be very discouraging. I’ve had several other friends tell me the exact same thing.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I am from Alabama.  As a child, I was unaware of a lot of things.  As I grew older I found out about things in the south.  If 2 men, one black and one white, went in to get a job, the white man would get the job.  If there were enough jobs available, the black man might get a job, but then when a promotion came up it went to the white man.

Separate schools for white and black students meant that the white schools got the money for supplies, and the black schools got nothing.  The high schools were poorly funded and unaccredited. College was out of the question unless you went to an accredited school, which meant that black students were left behind.

I have been telling people since the 1970s that there was no such thing as race unless you are talking about the human race.  I can not take credit for this teaching.  It was in the publications back then.  I have told others that all humans came from Adam and Eve.  Moreover, all humans alive today actually came from the 3 sons of Noah.

I have heard black people claim that all whites came from the Nephilim, but we all know that isn't true either.

This may be getting off-topic but I did want to respond to something said earlier.  I apologize for the excursion.

Edited by Witness1970

added last paragraph.

Here’s a video that really encouraged me to invest in the stock market. It’s a lengthy video but a good one 😊

Could that have derived from Noah's grandson, Cush, who was said to have been black?

3 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

Could that have derived from Noah's grandson, Cush, who was said to have been black?

It appears so. Kind of like how the word Hebrew comes from the name Eber. 

18 minutes ago, Landon1285 said:

just started reading Retireby30 by Frank Niu:

https://www.frankniu.com/book

It's a Beginner-Friendly Guide to Breaking Free from the Corporate Grind.

Does it say anything about making extra money writing a book about money?

:whistling:

11 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Does it say anything about making extra money writing a book about money?

:whistling:

“Healthy skepticism is often the best way to glean the value of what's being presented—challenge it; prove it wrong, if you can” is a quote by David Allen, author of Getting Things Done. The quote continues, “That creates engagement, which is the key to understanding”.

1 hour ago, Landon1285 said:

I just started reading Retireby30 by Frank Niu:

https://www.frankniu.com/book

It's a Beginner-Friendly Guide to Breaking Free from the Corporate Grind.

So far an excellent read. 

He also has a YouTube channel where he discusses tech as well. 

Thanks. I’ll check it out 😊

Life in this system can be so unfair (this post isn’t meant to be political)

• 2 weeks later...