JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library App - How to Combine Tags?

I was wondering if anyone has ever combined 2 different “tags” into 1 that they had created on JW Library?

I have many tags, so I didn’t realize until recently that 2 different tags are similar enough that they should be combined together into 1 tag, but I am not sure how to do that? Or if it is possible?

So any help/suggestions I will appreciate it, thanks 😊 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I did something similar recently. I pulled up everything with the tag that I didn't want to use anymore and I added the tag that I did want to use to each note, then I deleted the first tag. All the notes that had both tags now have just the one tag that I want to use.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I did this before and it takes some concentration, but essentially you need to mark all of notes bearing those two different tags with both of them.  

Mark all notes with both tags.

Decide which tag you want to keep.  

Click on the tag you want to delete in your list of tags in Personal Study.  (It will bring up all of the notes with that tag in it.  They should all have the other tag also.)

At the top right of the Tag Title, click on Delete Tag.  (A window will pop up telling you that this action will remove the tag "name of tag" from all items.  Notes will not be deleted.)

Click Remove.

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

then I deleted the first tag

As Watching said, you don't need to delete the tag for each individual note, you delete the tag from the Tag menu. I did have to add the second tag to each note individually.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I did something similar recently. I pulled up everything with the tag that I didn't want to use anymore and I added the tag that I did want to use to each note, then I deleted the first tag. All the notes that had both tags now have just the one tag that I want to use.

This is precisely what I would do. You are able to use multiple tags on the same Note.

Filter your Notes/Gems with the Tag that you don't want. Go through each of those notes and add the Tag that you DO want. 

Once all the notes have been tagged with the Tag you are going to keep, you can delete the Tag you don't want anymore. Your notes will remain and can be filtered using the new tag.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

This has just made me look at my tags to see if any could be merged.  Good thing I’m happy with them as they are.  As soon as you could take notes in JW Library I have been doing my assembly/convention note taking in there.  All my Gems are there.  All my research/study notes for scriptures.  Any WT research notes etc etc.  I have 29 tags in total.  I especially appreciate the assembly/convention notes as many a time when we are studying a related WT or meeting part I can quickly refer to my notes.  Once my friend asked me, how do you remember those points and I show her my tags.  Sure beats pulling out note pads and flipping through them.  Mind you before the note taking in JW Library I used a PDF Annotate App on my ipad and that was good because I had everything in named folders so could search easily and quickly.  At that time I was using my ipad for JW Library.  Now everything is in my iphone.  Got to love technology.  

On 7/6/2023 at 7:48 AM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I was wondering if anyone has ever combined 2 different “tags” into 1 that they had created on JW Library?

I have many tags, so I didn’t realize until recently that 2 different tags are similar enough that they should be combined together into 1 tag, but I am not sure how to do that? Or if it is possible?

So any help/suggestions I will appreciate it, thanks 😊 

If you rename the wrong tag to the correct tag name, all notes will merge with one tag. For example, if you have 10 notes in HUMBLE ONES and 15 notes in HUMILITY - rename the HUMBLE ONES  to HUMILITY. Then under HUMILITY you will have all 25 notes together. It's a quick and very simple process. No need to copy paste or delete anything. 😊

10 hours ago, Sarav B said:

If you rename the wrong tag to the correct tag name, all notes will merge with one tag. For example, if you have 10 notes in HUMBLE ONES and 15 notes in HUMILITY - rename the HUMBLE ONES  to HUMILITY. Then under HUMILITY you will have all 25 notes together. It's a quick and very simple process. No need to copy paste or delete anything. 😊

Very interesting!

It works perfectly. Thank you for telling us a very quick and simple way to do that 👍

Edited by Tortuga

• 5 months later...

for those of us with MANY tags: try using a simple multi-level tags.

Example: for topics I think will be useful on a shepherding call: shep.anxiety  shep.encourage  shep.prayer. Then, I can go to "Notes and Tags" and type "shep" into the search bar. I now see just tags related to shepherding calls. 

The same works for a personal project: fruitage of the spirit. tags like fhs.love fhs.joy fhs.patience and so forth

For topics related to recommending servants: eq.reasonable  eq.teach eq.orderly, etc.

other main level tags: qualities, conduct, attitude, fs (for field service items), illus (to capture good illustrations), sce23 (School for Cong Elders)