JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our Beloved Pets

I've been giving this topic a lot of thought and some research. 

I'm very close to my Emotional Support dog, Luna.  She's become my best friend and has helped me through many mental health challenges.  Don't know where I'd be without her. 

Anyways,  will our beloved pets make it through the Great Tribulation with us?      Will animals live forever with us on earth, especially ones that we love and are close to?   (Maybe we won't know what will happen until it does happen,  if that makes any sense? )

Psalm 145: 16 says: "You open your hand; And satisfy the desire of every living thing."   So if our desire is to have our beloved pets by us forever,  does that mean that Jehovah will make that happen?    Or do you think that because we'll be perfect we won't have those emotions where we are so close to our pets?   So we won't be upset or sad when they pass away?  

I know that there are articles on jw.org that say that animals have a limited time, but what about the ones that we love?   And depend on?  

Sorry if I'm confusing anyone... 

Just been thinking about it a lot lately.   I know a few other sisters that have been wondering this as well.  

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

Lori, I think everyone of us who has a pet has wondered the same things. :)

The truth is that we don't know. We know that animals were not created to live forever. On the other hand, we don't know how far will Jehovah go to fulfill our desires in the new world. Maybe a part of our job in paradise will be to research ways to have our pets live longer. What we do know for sure is that whatever Jehovah decides to do, it will be for our happiness.

1 minute ago, Sheep said:

I guess that scripture refers to vermin and harmful animals, not to beloved dogs and cats. :)

Probably Peter had in mind the way things work now in this system, where sadly many animals are just born to be exploited and destroyed. But it doesn't necessarily reflect how we will treat animals, especially pets, in the new world.

• 4 weeks later...

I really do hope our pets will make it with us through the GT, otherwise I won‘t feel joy after our liberation, at least not for a very very long time. Having to leave my flat during the GT to stay with brothers is not my first choice, as I probably can’t take my pets with me. I would only think about what they are going through, and how I‘m supposed to love someone that doesn‘t love me enough to welcome my pets in his house. Can‘t imagine playing cards and smiling (as pictured in last weeks study WT) while my pets are starving. I know I sound over-dramatically and frustrated, and I probably love my pets too much. Just want to say you‘re not alone when feeling the same way. 

3 hours ago, Hanni said:

I really do hope our pets will make it with us through the GT, otherwise I won‘t feel joy after our liberation, at least not for a very very long time. Having to leave my flat during the GT to stay with brothers is not my first choice, as I probably can’t take my pets with me. I would only think about what they are going through, and how I‘m supposed to love someone that doesn‘t love me enough to welcome my pets in his house. Can‘t imagine playing cards and smiling (as pictured in last weeks study WT) while my pets are starving. I know I sound over-dramatically and frustrated, and I probably love my pets too much. Just want to say you‘re not alone when feeling the same way. 

I feel the same EXACT way that you do.  I'm not leaving my dog and cat behind.   I just can't do it.  

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3

On 9/19/2023 at 9:12 PM, Lori said:

I feel the same EXACT way that you do.  I'm not leaving my dog and cat behind.   I just can't do it.  

I‘m sure everything will be fine in the end. Jehova is the creator, he cares about his creatures (that includes animals) and he knows how we feel about them (it was him that made them so cute and loveable). Our job is to trust and obey him, even if we don‘t understand everything. I pray that we get instructions before/during the GT regarding our pets 🙂