JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fraud Alerts

Today, after the meeting I got a fraud alert call from my bank. I did not recognize the number, so I did not interact with the automated system.

I then get a fraud alert text message. I googled the number that called and most say it's not a legit number. I get my credit card out and call the issuer of the card. They denied my charge as they suspected fraud. I ask why this one? It was the amount, and it was an automated renewal that they had not seen. This happened last month too and of course it was on an online donation to JW.org. I made 3 donations, and they flagged one of them. Just a reminder that if you get a fraud alert, contact your bank or card services directly, not through the number you get called on or texted. Be security conscious! 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

I think I posted this on another topic.  I was looking for a theater that had low prices back before the pandemic.  It also had a senior discount.  I clicked on a link for the theater.  I got a message that said my computer had a virus and had been locked.  They claimed to be Microsoft.  They said, "Do not attempt to shut downyour computer or data will be lost."  They gave me a phone number to call so that I could get my computer cleaned up and unlocked.

I shut down my computer and everything came back up fine.  It turns out that the link I clicked on for the theater was no longer used.  The theater had shut down permanently during the pandemic.

The lesson here is that anyone can claim to be Microsoft or Dell or some other legitimate company.  I would always shut down the computer when I get such a message.

7 minutes ago, Qapla said:

If you want to learn what tactics scammers use you might find this interesting

Scammer Payback - YouTube

Hmmm...is this link a gullibility test???

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 9/17/2023 at 4:24 PM, DancesWithWife said:

Just a reminder that if you get a fraud alert, contact your bank or card services directly, not through the number you get called on or texted.

Gold advice right there!  We all need to ingrain this into our minds.

There's extra fraudulent things happening right now.  Big attacks by hacker groups as we speak.  And they can send emails, messages & talk very legitimately.  Always be suspicious, even if it is from a company that you know you are dealing with.  And if anyone tries to rush you, that should be a BIG RED FLAG!

14 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

And if anyone tries to rush you, that should be a BIG RED FLAG

I have two speeds, Slow and Stop. If they don't like the first one, they probably won't like the second one...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D